Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2016, 07:49 AM   #11

No problem. We spent a lot of time out in Seattle two summers ago and the RB was the perfect size for getting around. My avatar picture is actually at Schafer State Park near Olympia, and taking the van on the Bainbridge Island ferry was fun.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1275.jpg  

Ned5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #12

On our 170, 2 wheel drive, we went without propane. Diesel D5 hydronic and air heater, rear outdoor shower, plenty of heat and hot water. We prefer to cook outside when able- we use a 2 burner propane stove. I don't think we've ever used it inside, but wouldn't hesitate with open door or windows. We use a quick electric kettle for hot water, and have a one burner portable induction burner as well, if we are cooking one pot meals inside. Haven't used it in the winter for camping. But everything works great in the other 3 seasons!

John
slfjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:40 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned5555 View Post
No problem. We spent a lot of time out in Seattle two summers ago and the RB was the perfect size for getting around. My avatar picture is actually at Schafer State Park near Olympia, and taking the van on the Bainbridge Island ferry was fun.
Are there any restrictions on the Washington State ferry system with propane tanks?
Old 04-18-2016, 10:47 AM   #14

There is no propane on ours so I never worried about it. The wording on the WSDOT website is a little confusing. It spells out a 100 pound total weight limit for portable propane tanks, but then says
Quote:
"Fixed propane tanks that are permanently installed on the frame or chassis of vehicles, including recreational vehicles and trailers, are not included within the allowable limit of portable propane tanks."
So unlimited tank capacity if its mounted? I imagine the usual RV guidelines of turning the tank off, not using it in transit, etc still apply.

WSDOT - Security at Washington State Ferries
Ned5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage
I think you did key on one thing and that is making it ready for resale when the time comes. You might not want a stove or microwave but prospective owners might. I'd at least think about trying to design it around a standard build. Pre-wire for solar, stereo and TV. Have the space and the power outlet for a microwave & even if you don't want it, the space can be used as a cabinet. Look how hard it would be to add anything to the build after it's completed and have it done during the build if it makes sense money wise. There are a lot of items that can easily be added on the cheap if a new owner wants to, so don't worry about that stuff and build it how you want.

Concerning the diesel cook top, I'd research how well it works at altitude. As far as heat, I can't say if it will produce enough heat for sitting in a ski resort parking lot. Badger put a Wallas in their vehicle. They complained about flame out at high altitude but overall seem happy with it. What I liked about the Wallas is it's also designed to help heat the cab where other are not IIRC. I just couldn't see spending that kind of money on a cook top. My Smev serves me well and they do add moisture to the air when working but it's not bad. I try to cook outside as much as possible but that is a good idea anyway while in bear zones.
On the duel rear wheels, I had those on my work truck and they are not the best for off road travel plus if you ever get a big rock stuck between them, it can be a PITA to get out. A wider single seems a better choice for trail driving.

Enjoy the build out process.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Concerning the diesel cook top, I'd research how well it works at altitude. As far as heat, I can't say if it will produce enough heat for sitting in a ski resort parking lot....
We used the Wallas DT diesel cooktop/heater up to about 7000 ft and down to about 28 degrees overnight with no problems. Operating continuously I think it could probably keep an insulated RB Sprinter reasonably warm down to the single digits. But it puts out heat at waist level so you don't get the even heat distribution of a furnace with floor vents.

Wallas introduced the XC Duo diesel cooktop/heater in 2014 targeted directly at the RV market with altitude compensation and thermostatic temperature control. But they don't specify the maximum operational altitude. The unit we used was apparently the marine DT cooktop with optional heater lid adapted for RV use.
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4, smb, sprinter