Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2020, 11:44 PM   #1

Question Seeking info on 92-96, 4x4 5.8L V8

Hello everyone,

In a random chain of events, I was just about to fly out from Colorado to pick up a van in another market. I had narrowed my search down to one in San Diego, or another in Florida. As I was deciding, a local van popped up in my search here in Colorado. Seeing that the owners presented as open and honest, that the van came with a full binder of records, and besides the issues of standard leaking spots in the drivetrain, I took my chances and purchased the van less than 48 hrs after seeing it listed.

I had been looking for a diesel, or a more powerful power-plant. Something with more pep to get over the mtn passes. However, the price was right and the vans was in good shape, so I made the executive decision to purchase.

Now, I am here asking what I should look out for? What can I do to get more power? How is this vintage viewed among this group? Advice for long term ownership, or helpful tips? General value of this vintage (I know this is a loaded question, but for a solid, well maintained, clean, 4x4 rig with under 125K miles with everything working...ball park value?)

I'm looking for useful feedback on this built. If you have thoughts on the matter I would be keen to hear from you.

Thanks for reading this post!

Timothy
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 9.26.38 PM.jpg  

THaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:56 AM   #2

Garage
Congrats and welcome. Suggest searching the engines and drive train or 4x4 forums. Someone else just started a 5.8L question thread. You can start threads as well with specific questions in any appropriate forum.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:28 AM   #3

Mostly, I am looking for others who have this same platform. It would allow me to ask questions directly to a user group who has experience with this same rig/set up.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:06 AM   #4

I can offer some advice. Don't buy it. It's just too old. You are talking about a pre OBD2 engine before 96. I had a 95 460 and a few problems I had with it were much harder so solve being so old. OBD2 scanners have greatly simplified home troubleshooting and if you're talking about a vehicle that you take off road I recommend staying away from anything older than 96 OR a diesel.

There are other problems with vans that old. You need to sit in one and see if the choking seatbelt design is something you can live with. It's my chief gripe on pre 97 Econolines.
Plus, much older transmission and suspension technology. I owned a two 92 460's and one 95 460 (these were the 7.5's, more power than the 5.8/351) and they were all dogs compared to a 97 or newer Triton 5.4, and nothing even in the same ballpark as a V10.

I would look for a 2000 or newer V10 or most preferrably a 2005 or newer V10 to get the 5r110 tranny. It is a magic combination.

Or you can buy a diesel if you like to work on things. I prefer to drive, not wrench.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:27 AM   #5

Too late, I pulled the trigger yesterday. Don't think I can return it at this point.

I will post some pics as soon as I get it up the mtns to my house. Its super clean, no rust and with full history.

86Scotty, I appreciate your openness and feedback. Please let me know if there is anything I should be aware of that you know are common issues. Sounds like you have a lot of experience with these vans.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #6

Good luck! I do not mean that to sound snarky. If it has a solid history it might be just fine for you. I wouldn't expect many issues, per se, other than age related. They are just less powerful and older technology than the newer Triton generation, which are now old too.

Post up some pics and more info when you get to it. Welcome to the addiction!
Old 09-28-2020, 11:07 AM   #7

To get more power out of those older engines the only real way to do it is intake, headers, exhaust to get more air through then add in more fuel with bigger injectors or whatever. However, my suggestion would be to drive it slower rather than trying to add power.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #8

I'm seeing my life at 55-65mph more so than engine work. I would have to agree with you.

Similar to my 71' Westy, and my 84' Westy. Right lane hazards on while going up hill.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:43 PM   #9

They aren't that bad by any means. I mean it's a big V8. A pretty tough one too. I speak Westy and they are nowhere near Westy slow.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:35 PM   #10

A couple of pics, more to come when I can actually get in and start working on dailing it in. Excited to get started on this project.

I am ordering Monstaliner paint for it and should be able to get her some new skin before the snowflakes fall. I have a tic list of odds and ends I am going to do.

Would love to see links for front and rear bumpers. Been looking at sliders w/steps so the 5'2" MRS can actually get in.

Having an issue with the driver seat hitting the couch preventing it from swiveling. Other than that I've got some cleaning and paint prep to keep me busy for awhile.

More pics coming soon. I'll be doing some before and after pics on the paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 9.24.50 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 9.26.38 PM.jpg