Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2020, 11:34 PM   #1

should I buy a salvaged sportsmobile

I’ve come across a sportsmobile in amazing condition. The current owners bought it from salvage. It has a dent in the side- they fixed it. I can’t find any information on the car through the vin - 1FTPE24L3WHB65843
Feel free to look my vin up and give me some info and second opinions!

Sullyhooliganbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:37 PM   #2

This sportsmobile is beautiful I’m just worried about the lack of information behind it. The seller seems to be a sportsmobile enthusiast and he rented this sportsmobile out on a camper rental website- can’t remember the name. It’s passed it’s smog.
Sullyhooliganbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:40 AM   #3

Garage
"Salvage" title doesnt normally originate from a "dent" - I would definitely dig deeper before I made any sort of commitment.
In any case, just having "Salvage" associated with the Title will certainly limit interest when the time comes to resale. I'd expect the current asking Price to be discounted accordingly.
Depending on the circumstances associated with the "Savage" origination, I'd prepare myself for the possibility of addressing the "unknown" issues that may develop as a result. If possible, Would have any of those "repairs" checked out by a reputable shop prior to consideration.

Everyone gets excited about a "great deal", BUT in some cases you end out spending more down the road due to shoddy workmanship & repairs governed by a budget.

Hope you uncover the Repairs were done correctly, and by an outfit which gets a lot of praise for their work.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:42 AM   #4

This one?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:55 AM   #5

Looks like this 1998 based on a VIN search: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6946.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	33099
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
"Salvage" title doesnt normally originate from a "dent" - I would definitely dig deeper before I made any sort of commitment.
While I agree with everything you say... sometimes there is more to insurance dealings than meets the eye.

I was in a motorcycle accident a couple years back in high school, a car ended up running a stop sign, t-boned me, and the bike slid 20-40 meters down the street with me. It was a 20 year old dualsport, now with slightly-more-scuffed plastics than what it already had. They looked the bike over and still wrote it off for twice of what it was worth, even though they knew it was only scuffed plastics.

Earlier we had some guy brake-check us on the freeway down near emeryville and it totaled his car and our only damage was a bent licence plate. The insurance company asked us if we wanted them to write off our Quigley over a bent licence plate.

Some older guy who forgot to take his meds backed into my dads M5 at Safeway and decided to do a hit-and-run despite my dad already having his licence plate. For $10(+)K in damage, they never bothered to write the car off or arrest the guy for hit and run.

"Salvage" titles don't really have a lot of meaning other than an insurance company got involved at some point. I know of several "clean" title vehicles that have been in very serious accidents and "repaired to as-new"... Despite that they don't quite drive the same, and the insurance companies refused to total out.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:11 PM   #7

Is this van in Fountain Valley? I believe I looked at it a couple weeks ago. I have more information on it. Call me if that’s the one.
949-394-7215
Ron_Nunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Looks like this 1998 based on a VIN search: Attachment 33099

Yep.. I looked at this van.
Seller had a sketchy story and I caught him lying to me twice about the van.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:23 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2644.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	33124
I offered 12k and he accepted. I show up and inspect the van. It’s really clean.
He shows me title and registration and they don’t match. I ask if he has the title and he says he will get the right one. He runs up to an office where we met and gets the correct one. Before he left I asked if the title was clean. He said yes.
He shows up and then tells me the title is salvaged. He lied.
Then he tells me the damage was on slider side. He knew.
I inspect and can’t see anything.
I later had a friend who was also interested call and he told him the damage was on the driver side.
Said he owned for 3 years initially then said 2 later.
Said he was going into military and had to leave that’s why he was selling.
No maintenance records.
No oil on dipstick. Almost appeared dry.
I honestly think he was gonna take my cash, give me the wrong title...(the one that was clear) for me to later find the problem that it was salvaged.
By then too late because he would be out of town and gone...or have spent the money.
It felt really fishy and I’m glad I didn’t buy.
He NEVER mentioned a rental...
His dad has a legit 4x4 Sportsmobile I saw in one of the pics he sent me.
Don’t buy this van unless you’re ready for surprises...

Tags
1998, e250, salvage, sportsmobile e250