Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #1

SMB conversion insurance

I have a 2018 Sprinter 2500 4x4 full conversion w/ pop top. Still looking for best and most cost effective coverage. I currently have AAA who will only insure campervan as a van, because that is how "the VIN identifies it." Then they add on a special policy to cover the conversion. Total annual policy is $2719!

Through GoodSam the underwriter is National General and only $1550 annual. Quite the savings, only problem is, NG has terrible write ups!

Ive been w/ AAA for yrs bc I have a multi policy w/ other vehicle and HO insurance. We've liked it bc the policy covers replacement due to fire, which have been out of control here in CA the past several years.

Who do you use for your SMB conversion ins and how much do you pay?

rolorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #2

I used Safeco because of a recommendation I got on this forum. Specifically Justin Gennock in CA. I got an agreed value policy which takes all the guess work and negotiating on value if the van was to be totaled. I'm paying ~$650 per year when the other quotes I was getting we're upwards of $1200+.

(Also my van is worth significantly less than yours)
RemingtonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:49 PM   #3

Wow, that's a great deal. I will definitely shop around.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:29 PM   #4

One thing I have noticed is it depends a lot on how much you drive it. Many people drive sprinters daily which results in much higher insurance premiums. If you drive 5k miles a year, like an RV, then RV insurance will cover it. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:34 PM   #5

Yeah, mine is insured as an RV.
RemingtonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #6

I had a passenger van E350 with a SMB RB50 conversion. Good Sam/Natl Gen insured it as an RV with full replacement coverage at a reasonable premium. Then it got totaled. NG was a bit of a pain to deal with (nowhere near USAA’s easy claims service, but USAA won’t do RVs). In the end I was shorted a couple $k. I went with GEICO for my replacement SMB.
johnolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:19 PM   #7

Contrary to what all those dreamy commercials suggest insurance companies are not looking out for your best interest. The game nowadays is simply luck. They are looking for a reason to cancel you and it doesn't take much of one. Get the cheapest you can and cross your fingers. Sounds like Remington found it!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonM View Post
I used Safeco because of a recommendation I got on this forum. Specifically Justin Gennock in CA. I got an agreed value policy which takes all the guess work and negotiating on value if the van was to be totaled. I'm paying ~$650 per year when the other quotes I was getting we're upwards of $1200+.

(Also my van is worth significantly less than yours)
Hi, do you have the contact information for Justin Gennock? I just got my sportsmobile re -registered as a motorhome and am still having difficulty finding insurance coverage. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #9

I just switched over to Safco as well. Not only can you set your value but included is the same coverage for Mexico so you'd only need to buy mexican liability ins.($90/yr) to be completely covered while travelling down there.

Joe
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:20 AM   #10

RV Insurance

I just got my quote from SafeCo and it was very high and required me to insure all vehicles. I am currently exploring American Adventure who uses Progressive. Anyone hear of them? Thanks!