Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2019, 11:05 AM   #1

Status of Classic versus Sprinter

Have my deposit down on a Classic with an estimated date of October 2020. Looking for 600 amp lithium batteries; additional fuel and range; and the latest and greatest. Seems like I will stick with the RB-50. Started thinking we would do the Sprinter because of the diesel engine, but decided on the Classic given V-10 reputation and added durability off-road. Fuel and range I would like to improve. Wont be doing any crazy Moab stuff (will do class 5 or 6, at least as novices to begin with), but will be doing plenty offroad exploring. Wondering how loose the October 2020 date is and whether I should reconsider the Sprinter. They seem to be tough to get too, so perhaps I should just hope for the Classic. Also, is the Agile Offroad RIP recommended for the Classic and Sprinter and is Agile necessary for larger fuel tanks?

All the help I can get is appreciated!

FlaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #2

Garage
Joe, those two vehicles are very different. Both are great. If you are a true off road driver, want to get to places that are remote and require creek crossings, ledges, tackling ruts and occasional rocks, climbing steep grades, driving on 'jeep' trails, then the classic is for you. Yes, the Sprinter has 4x4, but with small tires, not so great clearance, and it's just large. If you want to do the mild dirt road to a campground or easily reachable dirt road campsite, some mild ruts and water crossings, the sprinter will do. If you really plan on off road exploring as you said, stick with the classic.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #3

That’s where I come out on this but I am just questioning the status of the Classic and whether they have worked out the bigs and that I won’t be waiting much longer than October 2020. If that timeline was in jeopardy I may move to a Sprinter, but from what I read that time line would be out that far too. Amazing demand!
Old 04-25-2019, 06:01 PM   #4

I wouldn't hold my breath on your completion date. There are quite a few people on here who have gone months past their completion dates. However, I think the delays can be minimized if you don't change much from the original design. I hope they are on time though!
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #5

Well while SMB is trying to work out any bugs with the Classic, MB is still trying to work out the bugs with the new gas turbo engine, and figure out how to actually build vans in South Carolina. To the point that SMB has a very long waitlist on unfilled Sprinter orders.

If you think you can get by in a Sprinter, than why not go with a Transit? Its has a diesel option, and the aftermarket 4x4 is real 4x4 that can send 100% torque to either axle, unlike the Sprinters pseudo-AWD split.

BTW - if you need more range with the SMB classic, you can either install a 55-gallon rear Ford tank, or a transfer flow 46 gallon midship aux tank. Another option too is to order the 6.2L V8 rather than the V10. It seems to get about 10% better fuel economy.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:05 AM   #6

Oct 2020? That's a year and a half away.

I would sure hope SMB has the bugs worked out by then.

I commend your patience.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:14 AM   #7

I’m frankly surprised that SMB still hasn’t put the Classic into full production or decided to pull the plug. They are really missing out on the sweet spot of demand for the E-van 4x4s I think. Plus, I would assume that Ford will stop making the cutaway sooner or later. Recouping their R&D costs and time for SMB seems like it will be a challenge.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Plus, I would assume that Ford will stop making the cutaway sooner or later.
It looks like the E-series is here to stay. Next year's version gets the new 7.3L, 10-speed auto, modern instrument panel, and Co-Pilot 360 driver assist.
Attached Thumbnails
ESeries_Interior_1.jpg  
Old 04-26-2019, 08:29 AM   #9

I just sold my Sprinter 4x4 for a van (01 7.3 SMB) that can actually travel to more areas than just fire roads. The Sprinter, with the DEF system and high probability of not finding a nearby shop that is capable of working on it made it a bad choice for me. Traveling to remote places made me feel like I was back in my Westy ( what am I gonna do if this Sprinter breaks down here)
There’s a reason these stickers are out there... haha...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0368.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	26929
Ron_Nunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:16 PM   #10

Going to visit in early June and I am committed to the Classic, unless I get a sense Oct 2020 isn't real....... I appreciate the inform, especially the latest on the new E series. Thanks....