Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2016, 08:42 AM   #1

Working on my very first SMB!

Hello out there...my name is Bob. I am recently retired, and my wife and I are working on our very first customized SMB. We like long road trips, and have an old restored '54 Willys to have fun on the trails with my kids. I am really impressed with some of the rigs I have seen here (my son has one like some of them), but we are hoping to create one that is a little more tame. In any case, after reading on this forum I concluded that you'all have a wealth of experience that I would like to tap into! I am in the queue at SMB-Fresno to have one built. The bad news is there is a long lead time. The good news is I have time to create the plan of my dreams. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, and hopefully apologize in advance for whatever set of stupid questions I will come up with. Thanks in advance for your help and experience!

bobmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:16 AM   #2

Welcome and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 LX470 expo ready
2008 Ford E350 EB V10 4x4 Sportsmobile PH top
Custom off road trailer
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:26 PM   #3

Welcome! There are no stupid questions. Just read here, a lot, and you'll be well versed.

Good places to gather ideas, even if SMB is building your van, are the homebuild section and the 'What did you do to your Sportsmobile today' thread.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #4

Welcome Bob! Keep reading...lots of good info here....
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:38 PM   #5

Super! Thanks for the hints. I will be reading away!
Old 04-16-2016, 12:59 AM   #6

Garage
G'day Bob,

Welcome to a great forum.

What vehicle & layout are you planning?

I am 61 and been working on my project now for 27 months. It's about to leave LA for Eagle Motors, New Zealand in a 40ft Seacontainer(picture in my gallery) and be
converted to RHD/right hand drive and to comply with Australian ADR/Australian Design Rules. All vehicles under 15 years have to be converted to RHD, to get licensed by our Federal & State Governments.

Best Wishes with your build.

Do as much research as you can, inspect other similar vehiles, go to events with similar vehicles, visit other owners with vans like your build.

Cheers Doug.
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:33 AM   #7

Thanks Doug. Your's sounds like quite a project. I am going to do a sprinter design, likely on EB chassis. Just beginning to look at layouts. Just started my research...got some time to make decisions.