Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Camper Van

Garage
Vehicle Name Camper Van
Year 1970
Make VW
Model Type 2 Bay Window
Color white
Packages Sportsmobile
1970 VW Type 2 Bay Window
History We purchased our 1970 "VW Camper Van" in the summer of 1976 in Indiana. We drove it to California and had it shipped to Clark AFB where we were DoD teachers at Wagner High School. While there we had numerous excursions to Manila, Baguio, Subic Bay, and other destinations on Luzon, the largest Philippine island.

In 1981 we took teaching positions in the Marshal Islands where private vehicles are not allowed so we shipped it back to the States and drove it every summer keeping it in storage the rest of the time.

In 2007 we retired from teaching after 40 years the last 9 of which were spent in Germany. In the fall of 2007 we took the Camper out of storage in Upstate NY and drove it to Florida where we now live.

We have just had a "long block" rebuild done of the engine and I am in the process (Apr. 2019) of getting parts reinstalled and the engine reinstalled in the van. Hopefully that will be done by May.
Exterior
Everything on the exterior is original Sportsmobile woth popup. We plan to paint it soon but keep the original off-white color.

Interior
The interior is also original Sportsmobile with electric refrigerator, pump sink, fold-down seat for sleeping. We did replace the headliner and curtains while in the Philippines.

Wheels, Tires, & Suspension
The tires are original type German tires as are weels and suspension.

Under the Hood
The 1600 single port engine is the original and was recently, 2019, rebuilt.
Comments: 2 / Views: 3147
Old 04-05-2019, 11:10 AM   #2

Nice. Thanks for keeping vintage iron on the road.
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 09:39 PM   #3

Very nice. I had a 1971 in the 1980s. Never should have gotten rid of it. Finally got my 2nd Sportsmobile almost 40 years later... Wish it was a VW but I will make this work...
dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote