Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #1

Garage
10000 lb. GVWR??

We are planning a conversion based on a LWB-EL Ford Transit. This van is available at several different GVWR.

I've seen lots of anecdotal stuff on what difficulties you can have with access when the GVWR is over 10000, but I can't find regulations that actually reflect this in my online sources. I've checked several local (New England) state DOT websites, NPS, etc. with no success. I did find several places where commercial vehicles have additional regulations or access restrictions at this weight.

Does anyone have hard data on the limitations you might face with a vehicle over 10000 GVWR?

Thanks!

Dan

danbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:20 PM   #2

If you register it as an RV, you won't have any issues, except maybe with your HOA. You are correct that additional DOT requirements may apply when used a non-RV is used for business purposes, but RVs are generally "do what you want". Some people have started with a passenger-van base, to maintain "station wagon" registration, which gets around those pesky HOAs that hate RVs.

Private bridge and parking garage weight limits of course should be adhered to.

Winter chains requirements generally to apply to GVW, regardless of registration.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:29 PM   #3

Garage
That pretty much matched what I found. I think it was Oregon where the chain rules apply over 6000 lb.!

Thankfully, we don't have an HOA, and CT where we live is happy to register us as a "Motorhome". Our current Sportsmobile (2013 Sprinter LR) is actually registered as a "Passenger Car" :-)
Old 11-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #4

OR and WA are both 10,000# states for tire chains. Under 10k may use studded or snow-rated stud-less tires.

The 6,000# rule only applies to conditional road closures, where chains are required for everybody. Unless you are under 6,000 pounds with snow tires and 4x4 engaged. This rarely happens anymore, because by the time the roads are bad enough traction tires won't get you up it, there's already a dozen or so out-of-state semi-trucks blocking the highway.

The other issues is insurance.... vans and trucks over 10,000 pounds have to buy commercial insurance in some states, and that's probably where the RV registration helps the most.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #5

Garage
I actually didn't think about the insurance issue (and I don't think it applies in CT) - I should call them and see if it makes a difference here.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:06 AM   #6

Insurance will vary a lot by state and registration. In some states a cargo van is simply a "Truck" and may or may not incur higher rates.

It would be a good idea to call your insurance agent and ask questions prior to purchasing: rate as a cargo van, rate as an RV, different weight ratings, etc.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote