Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2023, 08:19 PM   #1

1998 SMB Starcool Compressor

Can anyone direct me as to how to find out the compressor model/etc of the original Starcool installed in 1998 build. We believe it's been determined that it is the compressor ad to why my Starcool will not operate. Thank you in advance for any assistance or information.

pattiindbfla@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 06:50 AM   #2

1998 SMB Starcool Compressor

What did you do to troubleshoot and determine it’s the compressor? It’s not too common that they fail in that system. I see you have several past threads but no details on what troubleshooting was done. There are circuits inside the van and also capacitors, etc., outside the van. I’d start with the easy things (like replacing the capacitor) before a new compressor. That was the problem with my 1998 Starcool.

But to your original question, you’re best bet is to look on the compressor for a model number. It may be hard to see with the way they mount them. Maybe stick your phone in hard to reach areas and try taking pics.

Where do you live? A Forum member might be willing to help you troubleshoot in person.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 07:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
What did you do to troubleshoot and determine it’s the compressor? It’s not too common that they fail in that system. I see you have several past threads but no details on what troubleshooting was done. There are circuits inside the van and also capacitors, etc., outside the van. I’d start with the easy things (like replacing the capacitor) before a new compressor. That was the problem with my 1998 Starcool.

But to your original question, you’re best bet is to look on the compressor for a model number. It may be hard to see with the way they mount them. Maybe stick your phone in hard to reach areas and try taking pics.

Where do you live? A Forum member might be willing to help you troubleshoot in person.
Hi Brian.. I am un Ormond Beach Florida. My AC guy/ mechanic checked it out and all the electric aspects and charger per the manual but the starcool won't even turn on now. He said after going through all the motions he really believed its the compressor? Thank you for replying. I would love to get the SC running again instead of the portable ac I had to set in between the seats.
Old 04-17-2023, 08:13 AM   #4

Here is a link Complete Starcool III service?? that has a picture of the compressor off with part number. I expect that you will have to search. You could try Danhard and maybe they can point you in the correct direction. They were unable to source the rotolock valve that was leaking on mine a few years back. I did find one on Ebay.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 11:58 AM   #5

Brian... I just asked him and he said the model number and info was rusted/corroded off. I wish someone had a 1998 Sportsmobile that had the Compressor model number I'm guessing they would have been the same that year
Old 05-23-2023, 09:55 AM   #6

Hi Greg, I have what at this point may be my last Starcool question... ugh. Could the front compressor being bad affect the starcool from operating? It has never cooled properly in the cab area, and I just had my mechanic check it and he said it is bad. I have not had any luck at all finding a compressor to replace the one for starcool, nor have any of the troubleshooting methods proved to solve the issue. Just one last shot in the dark I guess! Thank you, Patti
Old 05-23-2023, 12:12 PM   #7

Sorry but I can’t help with part numbers, but I’d want to confirm that your mechanic tested for voltage at the compressor leads. There are a number of things that need to happen before the compressor will start, including a relay located in the compressor junction box that must energize. If there is voltage at the wires from the compressor to the internal relay, the start capacitor in the same box may be bad. As mentioned, the compressors rarely fail.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 12:33 PM   #8

Hi there! I am asking if the front compressor under the hood being bad could affect the starcool from working properly or at all?

Thank you!~
Patti
Old 05-23-2023, 01:18 PM   #9

So the answer is yes & no. If you are parked and running off or shore power the front E350 compressor would be bypassed. If when the van is running, the E350 compressor is needed to run the front and rear ac system. In fact, it is the only compressor running.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 01:23 PM   #10

Okay, that answers that! I was crossing fingers since I have to get the front compressor replaced anyway... So far I have been using a portable a/c which worked great for the past 5 days at a music festival... just have to use a separate extension cord for it and had someone construct a very cool and functional plexiglass piece to close into the top of my window for the vent hose to clip into. I will keep trying with the starcool...it seems like such a waste to not be able to get her going... Thanks again Greg! Patti

Tags
1998 smb, starcool compressor