Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2021, 10:28 PM   #1

1999 E250 restore. Please advise.

YouTube mechanic here. Just bought my 2nd project van for camper conversion. Super excited. In way over my head. I found this forum and have already learned tons. Would love any tips from folks who have taken on a project like this. I've noticed y'all talking about parts I don't see on rock auto...I want to use quality parts but am trying to stay under 10k on the total project. This project is just getting started really. I had a grand I to it yesterday and I'm over 6k in now. Committed!

Bought van for $850. Towed for $100. Came with new transmission! Score!
Ordered remanufactured 5.4L from power train products today. $3500 shipped with 5 year no fault warranty.
Ordered $1800 in parts from rock auto. It's a big list. I could include if anyone is interested but it's basically everything new in the front suspension and under the hood.

I'm doing the work in my driveway. Engine will arrive in 4 weeks. I want to have it painted and mostly back together before then.

Things I need help sourcing:

Seats. Driver, passenger, and install two in rear for kids. Looking at transit seats bolting to frame w custom bracket? Anyone done this? Easier solutions? What's the best swivel?

Headlights: I want to upgrade. I've only found one projector set and they were pricey. What do y'all like?

Painting frame: Por15 or Rust-Oleum? I'm not gonna lift the body from frame. Just doing the best I can with it attached.

Upgraded dash? What did you replace your stock radio with? I know I want to add a backup camera.

That's all I can think of for now. I hope many questions will come up forcing me to think and consider all options before I just make a best guess. I'll post progress as it's made.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210723_182515.jpg   IMG_20210722_213618.jpg  

coachbertbjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:57 AM   #2

If you bought all new front end parts I hope you upgraded to the 2008+ suspension and especially larger brakes. It’s all basically bolt on for the older vans. Best upgrade I did on my 98 e250.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
If you bought all new front end parts I hope you upgraded to the 2008+ suspension and especially larger brakes. It’s all basically bolt on for the older vans. Best upgrade I did on my 98 e250.
I had planned on just keeping my calipers and painting them. Didn't know about this upgrade but will definitely look into it now!

As for suspension parts I ordered Moog ball joints and tie rods and Bilstein shocks...all for my generation van. Was planning on using the current springs as they seem fine. What parts would you suggest over these? Which parts bolt on from the new vans? Is there a thread about that?

Has anyone here converted thier drums to disk?
Old 07-29-2021, 05:08 AM   #4

Yes there are several threads about the 2008+ brake and/or suspension upgrade. A search should turn them up. Main difference with the suspension is a better sway bar with end links.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:59 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Here's my write-up that includes some Ford OEM part numbers--I do not use anything cheap and will NOT buy ANYTHING from Rockauto---too much BS when something goes wrong with the order. https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tos-11255.html

PLEASE don't add anything to that thread instead ask your questions here or PM me.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:55 PM   #6

Lifting the van doesn't involve lifting the body from the frame...keep those two tightly coupled.......well they have rubber donuts between them....but keep them attached.

There are 2wd lift kits avail for these vans, Action Van, Camburg and Weldtech all make them.

2008+ brake upgrade needs 2008+ calipers..if you are planning on using the calipers you have then what you ordered should work fine.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:53 PM   #7

Sounds like a fun project. Di you get the engine from Jasper? Have one in my van and it is working great. You may wants to consider a new intake manifold. The coil packs screw into it and the bosses in the manifold can fail causing problems.

I have a set of factory grey Ford front seats that I do not need. One is on a factory base and one is on a swivel base. Am located in the Pacific NW. let me know if you are interested.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachbertbjj View Post

Seats. Driver, passenger, and install two in rear for kids. Looking at transit seats bolting to frame w custom bracket? Anyone done this? Easier solutions? What's the best swivel?
Car-part.com is your friend. It's an aggregate for just about every salvage yard nationwide. Easy to use. Have fun.

Swivel bases can be found here (on this site) from Ray (username 1der). They are not only the best I know of, they are the only I know of. Fitting an E-series seat base (box) or swivel to a Transit seat will likely require a little fabrication. Not to mention you'll have to work out the seat belt problem.

@larrie, I'm glad to hear the Jasper 5.4 is still doing it's job.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
Sounds like a fun project. Di you get the engine from Jasper? Have one in my van and it is working great. You may wants to consider a new intake manifold. The coil packs screw into it and the bosses in the manifold can fail causing problems.

I have a set of factory grey Ford front seats that I do not need. One is on a factory base and one is on a swivel base. Am located in the Pacific NW. let me know if you are interested.
Thank you! I am interested in your seats. Mine were so bad I just trashed them and now literally have no seats. It won't be running for another month or so but I definitely need to get that worked out.

Could you send me pics?
Old 08-23-2021, 04:59 PM   #10

I vote for Por15 over Rustoleum. It was recommended to me by a friend who professionally restored old cars and hot rods.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote