Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2022, 10:50 AM   #11

I don't have a local to Boulder suggestion, but I have a shop in Parker, that actually took my fridge out so they could get to the Starcool evaporator in the back of my van. I gave them a hand made diagram of how the system was all connected and they found a leaking hose connection on the rear evaporator and fixed it. They have also found other leaking connections in the whole AC system and replaced those hoses too.

The shop is Parker Automotive https://parkerautomotiveinc.com/contactus

I know they are not close, but a shop that is willing to remove RV components to get at and fix an issue, now that is a shop I will take my van to every time!!

Old 05-15-2022, 03:35 PM   #12

If all else fails here's what I did and posted last year.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ent-28618.html

CB
CaptainBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 04:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBilly View Post
If all else fails here's what I did and posted last year.https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ent-28618.html CB
I did something similar, but it's a semi permanent solution.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...0-a-28778.html
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:45 AM   #14

I have the same year and same set up. Starcool product was superseded post 2010 by a Danaher version which was until recently operating out of Fort Worth TX but I heard closed its doors post Covid. The system is not tied into the Ford system which is a single compressor with an evaporator up front and optionally another in the rear. Both are managed by vacuum controls on flaps in the ducts. Fixing the Ford system should be the same with or without a Starcool installation.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:57 PM   #15

Something else to keep in mind when talking to shops about repairs like this is making them understand you know it probably won't be a cheap fix. Diagnosis takes time and that will result in a fairly high labor charge even if the actual part required isn't that expensive or takes very long to replace.

In many case, a shop sees a 20+ year old van and they "assume" the owner is not willing to put money into it.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:16 AM   #16
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
Something else to keep in mind when talking to shops about repairs like this is making them understand you know it probably won't be a cheap fix. Diagnosis takes time and that will result in a fairly high labor charge even if the actual part required isn't that expensive or takes very long to replace.

In many case, a shop sees a 20+ year old van and they "assume" the owner is not willing to put money into it.
That would be very true, even more so when the term "R V" is part of the initial conversation. If you find a suitable shop I'd simply visit them in person with the vehicle, discuss your needs and book an appointment.

Phones are all well and good a lot of the time but nothing beats an in-person visit.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote