Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #1
evy

2001 Ford E350 V8 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel vs Pre-sale Inspec

Hi Everyone!

Ok in my other post you guys made it clear to me that buying a 2001 Ford E350 V8 7.3L P.S. Diesel was clearly a good deal for my DIY campervan build :

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...p?f=24&t=13518

Here's the situation...

You may find this hard to believe but, I can't seem to find anyone or any garage to inspect the darn thing!! I've called over a dozen of garages in the seller's area but as soon as I mention Diesel they hang up.

Even the closest Ford dealer as stopped doing pre-sale inspections (for legal problems)
Still I can have it inspected at their garage but as my own vehicle (not pre-sale + no warranty)
they charge 150$ for 130 or 170 points inspection, engine compression is not included.

After reading a bit on the net about these engines, correct me if I'm wrong but the major problem comes from engine cavitation and also the transmission.
But will the dealer's inspection detect any of these things?

Am I better off doing the inspection myself, going under the van with a light and looking for leaks, checking levels, testing the coolant with strips etc...

I'm no expert but the time is ticking and I don't want to loose this deal, it's been a couple of weeks already since I first saw the add.

Thanks for your input!

Old 05-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
evy

Re: 2001 Ford E350 V8 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel vs Pre-sale In

I mean am I being paranoid here?
If these things are bullet proof as most of the people say they are...
Old 05-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #3

Where are you located?

I ask because if you register (for free or $20 if you are feeling reciprocal) and post your location in the following forum:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/

and politely ask if there is anyone close with Auto Enginuity who would be willing to do a no harm no foul no liability engine diagnostic on the beast, you would gladly repay the favor to some other person some day and immediately with beers to the person with AE.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
evy

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Where are you located?

I ask because if you register (for free or $20 if you are feeling reciprocal) and post your location in the following forum:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/

and politely ask if there is anyone close with Auto Enginuity who would be willing to do a no harm no foul no liability engine diagnostic on the beast, you would gladly repay the favor to some other person some day and immediately with beers to the person with AE.
Good idea! What have I got to loose?

I am located near Montreal, Canada.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #5

Many AAA (CSAA in Canada) outlets have inspection and repair services. I would try there.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
evy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Many AAA (CSAA in Canada) outlets have inspection and repair services. I would try there.

Mike
I already did that and the closest CAA inspection garage is 45minutes from the sellers house, ho and I forgot to mention the seller's van is not insured, so I want to keep it close...
Old 05-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #7

Join Ford-Trucks.com

PM jspence105 he is in Ontario and is well respected (check out the number of his green chiclets --i.e., thank you's) and he is online now.

You will get more credibility if you are a supporter even at the lowest expense level...

Oh and there are fewer than 6 degrees of separation between the brothers on ford-trucks.com (just like on the sportsmobileforum) so even if he is not close enough to help, he may know someone in Montreal who is. Eh?

BTW, I am still pissed off about the 2010 Olympics...*

* You gotta respect Sidney Crosby though.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #8

Dealership and most garage shops will only inspect visual items like fluids, brake pads, light bulbs, tires, etc. Some might put it on a lift and look at suspension components, but I don't think any will do any type of transmission or engine testing. Compression or leak downs will cost extra and theres really nothing to inspect on a transmission unless they change the fluid or take it apart.

For what its worth, when I was looking at a 7.3 with some fuel leak issues, it would have cost about $600 to get them repaired. Most common leaks seem to be o rings (various places) and the drain valve on the fuel bowl. That was including an under carriage pressure wash which was $150. The transmissions seem to be the higher dollar fixes and from what I've read, if it hasn't been done yet, put some money aside and expect to do it at some point.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #9
evy

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Join Ford-Trucks.com

PM jspence105 he is in Ontario and is well respected (check out the number of his green chiclets --i.e., thank you's) and he is online now.

You will get more credibility if you are a supporter even at the lowest expense level...

Oh and there are fewer than 6 degrees of separation between the brothers on ford-trucks.com (just like on the sportsmobileforum) so even if he is not close enough to help, he may know someone in Montreal who is. Eh?

BTW, I am still pissed off about the 2010 Olympics...*

* You gotta respect Sidney Crosby though.
OMG did you not watch the 2014 Olympics?? how we plowed through everybody??
Is your team still in the NHL playoffs?

BTW I registered on Ford-Trucks.com and posted my situation, thanks.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by evy
......cut.......

Ok in my other post you guys made it clear to me that buying a 2001 Ford E350 V8 7.3L P.S. Diesel was clearly a good deal for my DIY campervan build :

....cut.....
What we consider a good deal is relative. I did not comment on your other thread but while I agree that the van you're looking at is a good value, I personally wouldn't start a conversion based on a van that is over a dozen years old and has signs of rust.

Granted I'm somewhat biased because I'm not an extreme diesel fan (ie - don't place that much value on engine itself), but given a limited budget I would prefer to start with a newer van as you originally planned.

Mine is also a 2001 which I bought when it was 4 years old with less miles on it. I paid more for it but couldn't see putting lots of work, money, and time into a new interior if it were much older.

I'd personally go with a gas engine if it meant getting a newer van. Every old vehicle I've ever owned developed annoying issues due to old age. And if you can't fix most things yourself it gets expensive.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote