Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2017, 07:04 PM   #1

2003 e350 7.3 SMB...thoughts on purchase.

Hi all -

I've been asking as many people that I can about a purchase on a 2003 E350 SMB with the 7.3 liter diesel. Mileage is at 120k and based on what I've been told it can go another 200k+ with regular maintenance. Maintenance is expected to be higher cost than gas engines and I'm okay with that.

The van looks clean for it's age and fits our needs of being able to sleep 4 people while having nice features like solar, shower and fridge. The pop top is electric and the 4x4 was done by SMB too (first year they did this is my understanding).

Questions that I'm trying to answer is how to gauge fair market value of such a rig. From what I see, SMBs hold value rather well and there are not many on the market at a given time. Asking price is 65k with little to no wiggle room. I've had extensive discussions with the seller, including an inspection report for April where the only material items are tie rod end (expected to be under $500 to fix).

At this point I'm looking for any input, good or bad, on the purchase as I'm about to fly out to take it for a spin.

Pictures attached. Maybe one of ya'll have seen it in person, you never know

Thanks!

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   6.DSC02481.jpg   3.DSC02478.jpg  

billroser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:57 PM   #2

Garage
I have a 2001 7.3 non sporty that I bought for 6k and converted myself. I can go pretty luxurious on a build with 50k. Seems high from all the ones that cross thus forum. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:02 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. I guess I didn't mention that this has all the bells and whistles of the SMB 4x4, such as Atlas t-case, dynatrac 60 front axle and dana 60 rear. He also upgraded to fox shocks in 2014 along with refurbishing the interior where work was done by SMB.

Maybe you already factored most of that in, but for 6k sounds like you got a deal.

Bill
Old 05-25-2017, 09:04 PM   #4
Site Team

Great looking rig, and I LOVE the 4 captains seats. Layout is a little odd, and it appears there's no kitchen, but only you can decide if it works for you. Price seems optimistic, but I'm guessing it will sell close to that.

It does look like it might have a full float rear axle too which would be worth some dollars.

A word of warning, posting here for opinions means it just got a lot more exposure and someone might buy it out from under you.

Herb
Old 05-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #5

Welcome Bill. That's a beautiful rig and is what some think is the ultimate, last year of the 7.3l and not very high miles with the SMB 4x4 system.

I agree with Vandiesel that the price is high but I also think that it's fair market value right now. They have been steadily going up since the Econoline left us. From other similar vans I've seen go this Spring I think it's priced competitively. Others may disagree. Of course you'll want to get it for as little as you can but I don't think the seller is too far off. That's a really nice layout and interior with great colors in and out. About the only common thing I don't see for a rig in this price range is the front Aluminess bumper/winch. May be some wiggle room there.

Is the shower pan between the rear benches? If so, it's a rare option for an RB pop top.

Also, I'm guessing there is propane and a hot water heater on the left side since it has a shower? No pic of the left.

Good luck and welcome to the gang whether you purchase or not.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:34 PM   #6

Thanks guys.

Scotty - good call on the front bumper. It's something I was thinking of adding and maybe I can use as part of the negotiation. As for the water, the rig has a flat plate and no shower pan inside, outside shower only is what I was told.

BR
Old 05-25-2017, 10:27 PM   #7

I am pretty sure we have seen that van on this forum before, maybe last spring? It's hard to forget the van's with unusual SMB layouts. If they haven't sold the rig yet I would think they either don't really need to sell it but will sell it for the right price (65k), or it is overpriced and they should lower their price if they intend on selling it. If it is the former, then you are going to be stuck paying whatever they want or walking away. If it is the latter then start grinding them down!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2017, 10:32 PM   #8

Yup knew I had seen that one before.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ad.php?t=17693

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2017, 10:41 PM   #9

7.3s have gone for over $80k in recent years.. I don't know why, but that's the market.

I think $65k for this is in the ballpark, depending on condition, records, accessories, etc. Although for that price I'd probably expect an Aluminess front bumper.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:39 PM   #10

This one seems like a better deal:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ale-19580.html

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote