Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2023, 04:26 PM   #1

2004 E350 6.0L Diesel SMB Air conditioner hose

Hi everyone, I have a 2004 E350 6.0L Diesel SMB and the A/C went out. There is a leak in the hose for the high side port of the A/C unit. The mechanic cannot find a replacement hose nor is there anyone local who can make one. There is no identification on the aftermarket A/C unit Sportsmobile (I believe) put in. I called the Indiana Sportsmobile and they do not have the specs on it according to the person I talked to.
Would anyone have any info on what type of unit that they installed back then? Im assuming Sportsmobile did it as there is a line going back we believe to the van AC unit. But I could be wrong.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Russ

oregonsquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 07:04 AM   #2

Should be (?) a StarCool III AC / or maybe Danhard AC - not sure when they (SMB Fresno) switched over ? Search this forum - recent threads detailing electrical schematics, etc. Good luck
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 09:50 AM   #3

Be sure to clarify for help on the forum -- is it the "chassis" AC hose(s) under hood with a leak -- or the "house" AC / StarCool III hose that's leaking ? Any reputable AC repair should be able to fix a "hose" - by measuring same - crimping, etc. If you have the schematics/info from the forum - it will help the "shop" -- even if it "costs" a bit more than normal !? BE AWARE - that the S/Cool "shares" chassis/Ford freon - thats why you need to tell any "garage" to fill freon to like 72 ounces of freon - NOT what the Ford AC / chassis freon "normally" takes - or the system won't work properly -- again proper terms helps everybody ! SEARCH - "StarCool III system on the forum -- good luck n!
Old 05-28-2023, 06:14 AM   #4

Awesome doublevan2, this very much helps. The shop that I'm working with was asking for the type of A/C so they could help find/make a hose as nothing is labeled.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:58 AM   #5

Its a Danhard AC

Thanks again doublevan2, this is very helpful. It would be for the chassis AC and not the house AC I believe. Its at the right front of the engine compartment and you can see it in the attachment called AC Hose 1 . The manufacturer hose is straight as seen in attachment AC hose 2. They have 90deg fittings and the original ford hose is straight. I was able to find Danhard on a small heat exchanger under the van so this will help. The larger amount of Freon I will let them know about, I suspect that they don't know that. They did mention a "pipe" going to the back of the van which I assumed was for the house A/C which doesn't cool currently.
Attached Thumbnails
AC Hose 1.jpg   AC Hose 2.jpg  
Old 05-28-2023, 07:31 AM   #6

Garage
Russ (oregonsquatch), Scalf77 has these manuals available which may help you:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...nuals-116.html
Old 05-28-2023, 07:39 AM   #7

oregonsasquatch -- My system is clearly a StarCool III - I'm NOT an AC expert by any means - so not clear on what the Danhard system requires as to amount of freon - but can only "guess" the systems may both share freon. Review the links sent to you by Twoxentrix - very knowledgable forum member - as is Scalf77 - good luck with the fix !
Are you coming to the "meet and greet" at Macks Canyon campground on June 23-25 ?
Hopefully with your AC fixed !?
Old 05-28-2023, 10:06 AM   #8

So Sportsmbile designed or owned the rights to the Starcool air conditioning system. To my knowledge, Danhard provided all the parts for the system. The starcool system is integrated with factory air conditioning system. The factory system will not run without the starcool turned on (blower switch). When the engine is running the 120 volt compressor will not be turned on, the freon will be directed through both system.

When not running, you will need shore power, this is where the thermostat comes into play, it is not used when the engine is running. The system will not use parts of the factory system when running on shore power. I can't remember the actual numbers, but when never perform as good as the system when the engine is running.

My manuals link has the combine operating and maintenance manual for Starcool III, as also inserted a picture of the fluid levels that was on my van. As others have said, if they just fill to the manf standards it will not be full. I just would give the manual to the mech working on the van. It is important, while testing for them to turn on the unit when testing. You can't really leave it on as the fan will always run.

My experience was the system was like an icebox when driving, performance while driving not nearly as good. It is important to note that while plugged in the unit still uses a good amount of 12 volt power, so you will need to have enough to power both your charger and the Starcool compressor for long runs. The other thing to note is while the compressor will cycle on and of with the thermostat, the blowers will not.

I believe around ( 2008 maybe) Sportsmobile came out with a replacement they called the Danhard System. This system would operate independently of the factory AC. It was a more efficient compressor that could be used with a 2000 watt inverter. I never owned one, so don't know much about it other than that. I have provided a Danhard manual in the manuals link also. There was some discrepancy over the rights to the Danhard system. I was at one time looking at converting from Startcool to Danhard. When I originally talked to Danhard, sounded like it was very possible. I put it on the back burner for a year, and when I reconnected I was met with some pushback, they said Sportsmobile owned the rights, when I talked to Sporsmobile they said Danhard did. I finally got Sportsmobile to provide a letter to Danhard that I could purchase one. Between the cost, and they also wanted me to be a licenesed HVAC installer I did not go forward.

As far as parts for Startcool, when I went to Danhard for a Rotolok valve, they didn't have one (found on Ebay), so there is no guarantee they have parts for Starcool.

The pictures you show are kind of where they attach the rear system. The manuals show the hose paths and flow for both operational modes. I suspect there would not be an off the shelve hose for the rear system, and you need a custom hose made.

Also, on the manual link you will a Starcool flow diagram. I provided this to aid in going through the relay panel and following the different operational modes.

I hope this helps.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 e350 6.0l, a/c unit