Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2019, 05:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
That is a great deal, and sounds like you're dealt with a stand-up seller. Doesn't get much better than that.

Regarding the steering box, there are a lot of great reviews of steering boxes from a company called Redhead Steering.

https://redheadsteeringgears.com/

As for your Quigley, most everyone on this forum agrees that a significant improvement in handling can be achieved with the Ride Improvement Package (RIP) developed by Agile Off Road. You can install it yourself, have a local company do it, or plan a roadtrip to San Diego, CA and have the company install it. If you head to San Diego, they're almost right next door to Aluminess which make some gret aluminum front and rear bumpers.

https://agileoffroad.com/rip-quote/

FWIW however, I have not had any personal experience with either upgrade.

Herb
Thanks Herb.

I will definitely consider steering box and RIP Kit. Jeeze those bumpers are pricey, I got a quote to get them shipped to Canada and they are almost 10k for both bumpers!! I think I will contact a local fab shop.

Cyrull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:05 PM   #22

Sounds great! I got my 2005 Chateau with 34k miles from the previous owner in 2012 for 18500 USD, he always had it stored and babied...not me, it currently has 185k miles on it and only outdoors, no garage. I had all the fluids changed out as soon as I got it, engine, tranny, fuel, radiator, spark plugs, diff, and brakes. Mostly I go through front brake rotors pretty often and although the wheels remained at R16 the calipers are way different than any Ford (so get the specs for your because mine is a Chevy 1980s front). The body bushing are also pretty rusted and some are worn/cracked (there's about 12 or 14 of these along the frame) so although the underside was rust-free I do have to get these replaced. Window seals were rot within my first 2 years while I was mostly in Mississippi and Florida, I replaced the sealer myself with 1/4" ribbon along the smaller windows and 3/8" think on the Chateau longer windows (parts came in from Summit Racing.com but any glass shop can do them). I also get the wheel bearings replaced every 2 years with brand new ones, some mechs just like to replace the worn ones but I rough my ride a lot so I insist on new ones whether needed or not. I got tired of all the funky carpet so I tore out the old moldy one and placed it as a template for my new one last year, I mean it was a dozen years old regardless of road miles.
krgracia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:31 PM   #23

Van is finally home. Picked her up today and she drove wonderfully, I was also able to pick up a RedHead steering box and am hoping to have it installed this week.

Quick question, I filled up gas for the first time and noticed my check engine light came on. I am really hoping it was because I didn't secure the gas cap correctly? I took it out again and put it in and turned until it clicked, check engine light is still on. Hmmm.

Anyways, I will start a new thread on the progess of my van build and take some pics during the day light. Thanks again to this community for helping choose this van.
Cyrull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:06 PM   #24

Mine does that once in a while if it has been sitting idle to long and it coincided with periods of moisture, as simple as temp changing from hot to cold overnight in desert mountains. It freaked me out the first time and I got it in the shop real quick for a check and eventually a spark plug change, I got a V10 so it's quite a few cylinders. The check engine light goes thru cycles so as soon as it is triggered it will take a while before it clears itself out in the case of a misfire code. Nowadays I just throw some fuel cleaner once in a while and avoid some questionable gas stations.
krgracia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:19 PM   #25

I second the 5 star tuner.

I also carry a little bluetooth scan guage. nice to have around for pesky CEL lights.

Agile RIP kit too, you'll want that.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
I second the 5 star tuner.

I also carry a little bluetooth scan guage. nice to have around for pesky CEL lights.

Agile RIP kit too, you'll want that.
Yep, absolutely on the bluetooth scan gauge, or even just a cheap plug in OBDII scanner for your glove box. They're so cheap now I keep a few of em around. They are lifesavers if you maintain your own stuff. I have this exact one and it does the job just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiSca...obd2+scan+tool

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:53 AM   #27

I bought the Bluedriver. Love it. Pricey though compared to what can simply get the job done. But there's a bunch of other metrics on it.

Really nice van here though. Congrats!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #28

Congrats good deal!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote