Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2019, 11:51 PM   #1

2004 E350 Chateau 4x4 - Thoughts?

I'm taking a look at this van on the weekend, it looks like a great foundation for my eventual camper van build.

https://imgur.com/a/xbjseEp

2004 E350 4x4 (Quigley Conversion) Chateau
43K Kilometers (26K Miles)
Automatic - Gas (I don't know what engine it has)
Seller states its in immaculate condition (It sure looks that way) and was inherited. Vehicle has always been garage stored except for the last 2-3 months.
Under body has always had a synthetic coating
Dana 60 front
Battery tender warmer
Spare tire
Trailer Hitch
It has had a safety inspection recently and has passed with no issues.

Seller is asking 20K (CDN), this seems to be priced quite competitively IMO. Quigley 4x4 are not common in Canada (Hard to import unless it was converted brand new). He stated he has all the regular maintenance records as well.

What do you guys think? It is still a 15 year old vehicle, what kind of immediate maintenance should I expect if purchased?

I still plan to to take it to a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection, is there anything I should specifically pay attention to (Worried about the rubber bits being dried out or hard from lack of use)?

Appreciate your thoughts, Thanks!

Cyrull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:27 AM   #2

Sounds like a great deal depending on condition and engine. 5.4 in that rig will be "okay", a v10 will be choice, and a 6.0 diesel (but you state gas) would be "walk away quickly" for me.

Quigley - look for round trailing arms vs the square ones but I think by 2004 they were round. The square ones can develop cracks at the mounting points. Check tie rod ends and say bar bushings. These add up to about $500US

Batteries - Voltage holding? If it has solar, that is excellent.

26k miles? If it runs well, maybe just fluid changes and maybe brakes? Check the tires for cracks. Check rear air that it works properly. From what I have heard about Canada inspections they are pretty thorough.

If you decide to pass please let me know and why, I would like to check that out and likely buy it!
Old 01-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #3

I would consider that a very good price. The interior looks very clean and it has the leather seats vs. cloth. If I found that for sale locally to me, I would buy it!

If you get the VIN#, you can call Quigley and they will give you all the specs on what they did.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:33 AM   #4

Wow. At today's conversion rates that's $15,000 US Dollars. At that price I'd be all over that. I would change the fluids and check the tires, then head out on a short shakedown trip to see what needs attention. At that mileage and having been garaged the odds are in your favor.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #5

I'll Take It !

Please forward information and supporting docs along with an address to send the check !

Seriously though..... If you decide against it, I'm interested !
** No BS, No Stories, No Disappointments **
Headin' Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:24 PM   #6
Site Team

Well Cyrull, clearly people think you've located a good van at a good price. That probably means a lot of people in Canada are interested as well, and most well priced vans don't last long in the US, let alone Canada with it's import restrictions.

Herb
Old 01-25-2019, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headin' Out View Post
I'll Take It !
Please forward information and supporting docs along with an address to send the check !

Seriously though..... If you decide against it, I'm interested !
I was first in line as backup!! Agreed though, the original poster. Needs to get this wrapped up ASAP or they are going to miss out. I do not see any downside on this one as presented. If this were one of the “other” forums, it would already have been poached

Please get this so we can feel like the team won one!!
Old 01-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it! It's my first time buying a van. I have made arrangements to see it tomorrow! I will report back on the outcome, keeping my fingers crossed it is as advertised
Old 01-25-2019, 05:43 PM   #9

That's only $15,000usd!
Killer deal weather V8 or V10 IMO
Similar van in Colorado would probably run you $30kusd+
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:04 PM   #10

Update:

I got the van!

Saw it yesterday and it was in great shape and drove really well. I did not realize how high this thing is off the ground, made me feel like I was driving a big rig!

Turns out it is 5.4L Engine, it is a Quigley Conversion but was installed by a conversion company called Farmbro. I believe this was the only way to get them imported into Canada.

Inspection came back great, they did recommend a brake job as the rear calipers were a bit sticky. They did find that the steering box was leaking quite badly and needed to be replaced/rebuilt. The owner of the vehicle was a bit irked since it was inspected only 300km ago and is going to have some words with the inspector. If he can get some money back from that he will credit it towards the vehicle purchase.

He took $1500 off from the price immediately upon hearing the news. He is also including a brand new set of front rotors that he bought on sale for the van, and a spare rear window.

Really nice guy, he owns a freight hauling company and has a couple nice rides (not including the several semi's in his fleet). I gave him a small deposit as the check I was waiting for hasn't cleared yet and will pick it up as soon as the money gets into my account which will likely be at the end of the week.

I was told I was looking at around an $800 job for the steering box, should I get the original one rebuilt? It only has 44k (KMS) on it, or are there better options?