Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #1

Garage
2007 Ford SMB in Seattle area

Hello- Second SMB after a beloved 1979 VW van, 10 years owned. Needed to solve the driving probems of the old school rig and picked up our 2007 E350 (RB-50, Diesel, SMB 4x4) at the end of last summer. I bought it from the original owner with 50K miles and fixed a few things, upgraded others and now am looking for some specific info for those who have gone down this path before me.

We use it mostly for ski trips and as a hiking/snow shoe base camp, but look forward to pushing the envelope later.

Maintenance is not a problem for me, I do most of my own work and direct certain shops for other specific work when I farm it out. As a baseline I changed all fluids and filters, new tires, brakes and batteries serviced, etc. Everything works.

I upgraded the headlight bulbs with relays after deciding not to go back to the rectangle headlamps of past years (which would have been the best result) and added driving lamps with high output bulbs (and relays) on the high beam circuit. The light output is excellent though not as good as if the stock Ford headlight assy's were any good at beam focusing. Heat is not an issue in the Pac NW. If the stock lenses later melt, then I'll go to plan B.

I added a Scan gauge set up for Boost, Oil temp, Water Temp and Voltage. Upgraded the Ford oil cooler, turbo oil return line, oil pickup screen and HP oil pump to the newer Ford versions, upgraded the EGR cooler to the Bullett Proof Diesel model, added a coolant filter and cleaned the turbo while removed. All meant to keep the engine cool and lubricated and avoid the most common 6 liter failures I had read about. Afterwards did a minor power/torque tune keeping the numbers well below the F350 vaules - so I hope to avoid longevity problems with the engine, watching the oil and water temp numbers stay below 200 and within 5 degrees of each other makes me feel better.

I have stock bumpers and on the rear made a swing out RH side rack that switches between a ski rack and bike rack, and now am looking at adding a Aluminess Galley Box. I am thinking the box will work for us (vs. the larger Deluxe) due to swing down door and lighter weight (I'll probably get the box top rack and add a bike rack to the top of the box).

My questions are towards the next round of mods now that weve used the SMB awhile.

1. I have a spare Thule box for the top, but no roof rack, or side ladder. I'd like this available to put skiis, or use for stowage in the summer. What is the roof weight limit? How much can be added without making the manual PH top operation a problem? Do you have to unload it each time to pop the top? What style racks work best, full length side mounted to the PH top or the ones that are on tracks topside mounted?
2. No solar panel, yet but would like to one as an added 12v source for the batteries. I have seen a few links to these installations. I'll plan the roof rack and solar panels together. Comments appreciated.
3. I've seen several vans with tons of stuff on the rear bumpers - how do those mods with that amount of aft weight affect driving? At what point do suspension parts need to be beefed up?

Anyhow, all comments appreciated, and looking forward to running into more of you out in the world.

Matt

dar636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Re: 2007 Ford SMB in Seattle area

Nice! Needs step/sliders.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8494
Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote