Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #21

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: 2011 with transmission issues - back away?

When I called they said that there was nothing wrong with it mechanically - no mention of transmission. Never believe a salesperson, they have no idea and don't care. They just want the sale.

You should buy it, but let me know if you don't want to.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #22
Dia

Re: no mechanical issue - weird.

I've got a deposit on it, but I'll let you know if we back out.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #23

What is their issue with it being registered in CA? I wondering if they think it wont pass emissions or something.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #24
Dia

They said it's a policy specific to the dealer after too many paperwork headaches in titling. They say Colorado is the same way, plus about six other states. It's something like, Texas requires that the new title has to be stamped or signed by the dealership, but the states in question (CA and others) have a rule that they only send the title to the buyer's home address, so you end up with this catch-22 where the dealer can't sign off, and the buyer can't get the title sent because it's not signed off yet.

We came fairly close to buying from SMB Texas, plus that red one that was at a Camping World in TX, and none of them ever batted an eye over us being from CA.

I'll add it to the column with the allegedly hand crank top and the maybe, maybe not transmission issue.

ETA: The rep says it's a Ford F-250 that has the transmission issue, not the van, and that the guy mis-heard her when she asked about the Ford.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #25

Gotcha. Probably isn't an issue if you finance through them. But if things work out and you can register it at your friends home in TX, it won't be an issue to get a CA title on it.

Don't forget to post a pic of the hand crank top!
Old 12-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia
They said it's a policy specific to the dealer after too many paperwork headaches in titling. They say Colorado is the same way, plus about six other states. It's something like, Texas requires that the new title has to be stamped or signed by the dealership, but the states in question (CA and others) have a rule that they only send the title to the buyer's home address, so you end up with this catch-22 where the dealer can't sign off, and the buyer can't get the title sent because it's not signed off yet.

ETA: The rep says it's a Ford F-250 that has the transmission issue, not the van, and that the guy mis-heard her when she asked about the Ford.
It's a steal if no tranny trouble. And it's stupid how difficult it is to buy and register a car sometimes. Just stupid. You're giving them thousands and paying lots of taxes. The dealers and state should figure this crap out!!! Rant complete. Good luck!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #27

Dia: My 1993 Bronco I bought new. But I replaced it with a 1995 Bronco I bought in Dallas. I just flew to Dallas, gave the used car dealer the money and drove back with my bill of sale and whatever documents were in the Bronco re former TX registration. Luck would have it I was stopped by CHP in SLT, CA and explained the deal to them and they let me continue on to Sacto. where I registered it at CA DMV. So, based on my limited experience buying one used vehicle in TX, and registering it here, I don't see a problem. As long as it has more than 7500 miles on it, CA is required to accept a 49-state vehicle and register it here.

[Now, earlier this year I had to work with the shop foreman at DEC, via pm on ebay, to get a new exhaust Y-pipe with the California stainless steel CARB bar code plate on it with the single O2 sensor bung on it. But I got the right one made and sent to me here. (The 49-state Bronco had a single O2 sensor at the intersection of the Y, while the 1995 California-Only Bronco came with two O2 sensors, one in each pipe of the Y.]
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #28

I bought my van from a dealer in Wyoming in January this year, the dealer mailed the title once my check cleared, and I had no issues at the CA DMV (other than getting them to understand it was a personal van and not a commercial van).
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #29
Dia

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Dia: My 1993 Bronco I bought new. But I replaced it with a 1995 Bronco I bought in Dallas. I just flew to Dallas, gave the used car dealer the money and drove back with my bill of sale and whatever documents were in the Bronco re former TX registration. Luck would have it I was stopped by CHP in SLT, CA and explained the deal to them and they let me continue on to Sacto. where I registered it at CA DMV. So, based on my limited experience buying one used vehicle in TX, and registering it here, I don't see a problem. As long as it has more than 7500 miles on it, CA is required to accept a 49-state vehicle and register it here.
I don't entirely get it, either. This is the only dealership that's ever said boo about California.

BTW - that round doo-dad I mentioned looks like it's a level. The dealer sent better pics.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #30

Picts don't show clearly the presence (or not) of the switch to operate the top. Ditto for the motors that drive the top up and down. I'm guessing its a manual top .. and if it has a bed then that's still about $7K for the top.

Picts also don't show where a brake controller may have been. Within reason if there's no evidence of a brake controller then its possible the previous owner didn't try to tow anything >3500lbs even though the van looks like it has the factory tow package with 7-wire connector. If this is true then any tranny problem may not be because of heavy towing.

.. just speculating based on the earlier remarks and limited pict details.

Good Luck,
Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote