Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2015, 09:00 PM   #71
Dia

Re: 2011 E350 RB w/top - WE HAVE A RIG!

We signed all the papers today, will overnight them back tomorrow. Buried in amongst them, we found notes back and forth between the dealer and the finance company. Looks like invoice on the van was $14,975, so if that's correct, we got it for $491 under invoice.

I wonder if they have to pay when they send a vehicle to auction? Otherwise it doesn't make sense to sell something for less than what you paid for it.

Anyhow - transmission question.

Carfax lists very regular oil changes performed by a Ford dealer. Nice to have that info. Carfax also shows a transmission flush and fill on 5/21/2013 at 30,150 miles. Is that a recommended interval, or should I wonder why the transmission fluid was changed.

More to the point, buying it now at 55k miles, is it due for another flush / fill? Dealer says they did an oil change as part of SOP to get it ready to sell. Is there any other standard maintenance I should think about doing right after buying it?

Thanks!

Dia

Old 01-07-2015, 10:45 PM   #72
Site Team

Garage

I've been doing mine about every 30K. The first was right at that but I went about 40 on the next. Just did it again at 90K cause it was in the shop.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:55 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia
More to the point, buying it now at 55k miles, is it due for another flush / fill? Dealer says they did an oil change as part of SOP to get it ready to sell. Is there any other standard maintenance I should think about doing right after buying it?
They told me they had changed oil and a few other odds and ends, and went through everything checking brake wear etc.. and waved some papers in front of me proving so.. But I didn't actually look.

But hopefully they still have those when you pick it up, and then you'll have a good idea of what has been done recently.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #74
Dia

Thanks, gents! All indicators suggest that this was somebody's baby. I wonder what happened that they traded it?

Anyhow, she's my baby now.

I can't wait for next weekend. It feels like waiting for Christmas as a kid.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #75

Garage

petroleum falcon? that is an awesome name! congrats on the new rig!!

honestly, its been kinda fun watching you shop and seeing every bodies responses to help guide you along the way. this forum rocks

as far as tranny flushes go, ive been told NOT to do an actual flush unless you are positive it has been done on a regular basis. was even more surprised when our local acura dealer advised against it with my tl even though i have all of the vehicles maintenance records.

apparently flushing a tranny breaks crap loose inside. sounds like its impossible to get all of this crap out. once its loose and it just floats around and gets places it shouldnt be and causes more issues than its worth.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
p

as far as tranny flushes go, ive been told NOT to do an actual flush unless you are positive it has been done on a regular basis. was even more surprised when our local acura dealer advised against it with my tl even though i have all of the vehicles maintenance records.

apparently flushing a tranny breaks crap loose inside. sounds like its impossible to get all of this crap out. once its loose and it just floats around and gets places it shouldnt be and causes more issues than its worth.

I've heard this too but I struggle with the concept.....that's what tranny filters are for......and why doesn't this same logic apply to the crankcase, etc etc....I understand that engine oil breaks down over time, but I've also seen (and smelled) lots of nasty trans fluid......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:16 AM   #77

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
I've heard this too but I struggle with the concept.....that's what tranny filters are for......and why doesn't this same logic apply to the crankcase, etc etc....I understand that engine oil breaks down over time, but I've also seen (and smelled) lots of nasty trans fluid......
i struggle with the concept myself, but the one tranny ive had flushed worked better immediately after doing so, but within 2-3 months, its was slipping, shifting at really weird rpm's and just all around not functioning properly. it stopped working altogether by 5 months. so im just not willing to take the chance with the van considering how much a replacement will end up being. i had planned on flushing the tranny in our tl since i have all maintenance records beginning at day one and was really surprised they recommended against it...especially considering they would have made more money off of me.

maybe the difference between motor and tranny fluid breakdown and deposits is due to broke down clutchpack deposits and high temps vs engine oil just wearing out??
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #78

Ford does not approve of transmission "flushes". They only approve of draining and filling the pan, optionally draining and filling the T/C, or if a full fluid replacement is needed, using a diaphragm pump. The diaphragm pump basically hooked up to the cooler lines, and pushes in the same amount of fluid that is pulls out, and it isn't highly pressurized. It only matches the flow of the transmission.

Transmission "flush" machines can possibly over pressurize parts of the transmission, and many of them are not closed systems. They simply filter transmission fluid, putting some of the old back in, along with everybody else's old fluid which may not be compatible with your fluid. And.... some outfits use cleaning solvents which is definitely not approved by Ford.

You can essentially mimic the Ford setup with a bucket and a funnel... Cooler outlet line to the bucket, start the engine, drain out 6 qts, put 6 qts back in the dipstick. Repeat 2 more times. This is what I do every 100,000 miles. So far so good. I also installed an inline Magnefine filter which I swap with each drain and fill. Last time I had the pan dropped was about 180,000 miles and I'm at 401,000 now.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #79
Site Team

Garage

I guess I should have mentioned that the reason I did mine at 30k was because I installed a higher capacity pan but I thought that was what Ford suggests 30k anyway. Is there a reason to change out the fluid at longer intervals with a gas engine as compared to a diesel? I've never done a flush but another question that maybe somebody knows is will the Torque Converter fluid come out during a standard fluid change???

I kinda do fluid changes a bit more often on the engine and diffs fluids/oil as well...just a worry wart I guess driving with a 6.0.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #80

Ford does specify 30k, but only draining the pan. Since the pan holds 6-quarts, it would take 3 services to effectively replace all the fluid, except not really since it's all getting mixed together. I figure that by waiting, I'm still replacing all the fluid, and actually replacing all of it.

Draining pan fluid does not drain the T/C. It does have a plug however, but the bucket and funnel method also gets it, and with mush less fuss.

Note: I put on about 35,000 miles a year. I don't like doing it every year. Maybe I am waiting too long, but it's worked for me so far.