Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #81

Re: 2011 E350 RB w/top - WE HAVE A RIG!

Also, the 6.0 doesn't eat transmissions like the 7.3L did.

The 7.3L does need extra frequent servicing because its runs way hotter than the same trans in the V10. Partly because of where it makes it power, but also because programming differences means the 7.3Ls T/C stays unlocked way more than the V10.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #82
Dia

Thanks, gents! The transmission service was done at a Ford dealer, and all I have is a note in the CarFax. Anyhow, it looks like standard maintenance.

I downloaded the pics out of the ad today because I wanted them before the dealer took it down, and guess what I found?

That's a K&N intake, right? I wonder what other goodies she's got?
Attached Thumbnails
LolaKN.jpg  
Old 01-09-2015, 04:44 PM   #83

Stock intake, probably with K&N reusable filter, which, depending on who you ask, is awesome or terrible.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #84
Dia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Stock intake, probably with K&N reusable filter, which, depending on who you ask, is awesome or terrible.
Interesting! Thanks!
Old 01-09-2015, 06:57 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
... will the Torque Converter fluid come out during a standard fluid change???
I may only know enough to be dangerous, but...

My 1998 chassis (V-10/4R100) had a stock drain plug in the torque converter. So as long as you removed that plug (in addition to pan plug of course),I believe the torque converter would drain. I have read (and been told by a transmission pro) that later models eliminated the torque converter drain plug, but I don't know if that is all transmissions or just the 4R100, nor which year it happened. When I had my transmission beefed up I got an upgraded torque converter, but the fellow who designed it has a drain plug put in as part of the design spec, so I still have a plug. This makes me think that without a plug the fluid would not drain from the torque converter...

On my previous (cars) I did the thing where you put the lines into marked 5-gallon buckets and run a quart out, then add one, then run a quart out, then add one until the fluid has basically completely exchanged (takes more than just the replacement number of quarts though).

I never liked the idea of a "flush," especially if chemicals were used. Maybe it's fine, but I only know enough to know it would make me nervous.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:59 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia

That's a K&N intake, right? I wonder what other goodies she's got?
If this were my van, I'd be yanking that and replacing with stock.....but that's just me......

People either swear by them or swear at them.

The intake appears to be completely stock, which IMO is a good thing, but different people want different things....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #87

I use to have a K&N filter element in my stock intake, mostly because I was going through paper filters in 10,000 miles or 4 months. The K&N definitely flows better at high RPMs. Its reduces some of the "choked" sensation when you wind it up. One trip, my K&N got super dirty to the point I could feel it bog in the Rockies. When I got to Akron I put in a paper filter since I didn't have the cleaning supplies with me. I don't think I made it much further than ND on the way home before putting the K&N back in, as the pugged up K&N still flowed better than a brand new paper one.

After each cleaning, it would fowl the MAF sensor, so I carry a can of cleaner. For the last 120,000 mile I've been running an AFE intake which last much longer between cleanings due to extra surface area. I actually haven't cleaned it yet. I had to do the K&N every 60k. It flows even better, although at the expense to making more intake noise. The intake noise isn't obnoxious. It makes it sound more aggressive though. I kind of like it.

That all said.... a stock paper filter probably is not in any way impeding airflow for the V8, since its actually designed for the V10.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #88
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Ford does specify 30k, but only draining the pan. Since the pan holds 6-quarts, it would take 3 services to effectively replace all the fluid, except not really since it's all getting mixed together. I figure that by waiting, I'm still replacing all the fluid, and actually replacing all of it.

Draining pan fluid does not drain the T/C. It does have a plug however, but the bucket and funnel method also gets it, and with mush less fuss.

Note: I put on about 35,000 miles a year. I don't like doing it every year. Maybe I am waiting too long, but it's worked for me so far.
So my buddy did the "pull the cooler lines thing", and with a machine he replaced the fluid at 60K at his shop. I'm not sure what the other shop did at 30 and 92K (I know they dropped the pan and replaced the filter). My buddy also warned about a high pressure hot flush. Thanks for the info. Makes me feel a bit better. With all the crap I've gone through with the 6.0 I sure don't want to have transmission issues. My buddy hates to see my van pull up to his shop.

Dia, I also am not a oil type air filter fan but for a street vehicle my guess is if they are kept up maybe they're ok. I just hit so many dirt roads and when that fan kicks in on my engine the dust is unreal. YMMV along with others. Mine now has twin paper filters.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #89

FWIW my 2002 4R100 2wd transmission has a drain plug in the torque converter. And Ford sells you a new little torque converter drain plug with new locktite on it for use after you remove the original drain plug.

When I installed the deep 4x4 4R100 transmission pan with the drain plug in the pan along with the correponding required deep 4x4 transmission filter, I never used that new little torque converter drain plug because I was afraid to remove the original one and then overtighten the new drain plug and strip the threads where it goes into torque converter or have the new drain plug loosen because I didn't tighten it enough. And my guess was that it would be bad news bears when that plug comes out of your torque converter when you driving down the road.

I don't like oiled reusable air filters, but that is probably just me...

Beautiful rig!
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:11 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
FWIW my 2002 4R100 2wd transmission has a drain plug in the torque converter.

When I installed the deep 4x4 4R100 transmission pan with the drain plug in the pan along with the corresponding required deep 4x4 transmission filter...
Reading this stirred something in my memory and I think I may have been confused in my previous post. Maybe it was the transmission PAN itself that had a drain in my 1998 but was eliminated in subsequent years (such that you would have to remove the pan/gasket in order to drain the transmission). If so... geez, sorry for the misinformation.

I do have a slight excuse for being confused, because when I had the transmission beefed up, in addition to a new torque converter I had the deeper pan put on. So now I (still) have a drain plug on both, but I might have misremembered which part had the drain (supposedly) "taken away" in later years. Maybe it was the normal depth pan and not the TC.

Maybe someone else can clarify. Sorry I mucked it up!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote