Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2018, 11:34 PM   #1

Question 2019 22' Ford Transit vs 2019 24' Sprinter

Hi all

We were hoping that the gas 2019 Sprinter would be available in 4x4... but some new info indicates that the USA gas Sprinter 2019 may be 2WD only.

I really dont want Diesel for a number of reasons.....

My question is - if we decide to forgo the 4x4.... then we might look at the 2019 22' Transit with the bigger engine. I hear it is pretty nice engine.

I think 22' is the longest we can get in a Transit....

How does the 22' Transit compare, overall, to the 24' Sprinter?

We want as long and as big as possible as we want a queen-ish bed in the rear, with a fold up single bed cot above it, plus bathroom, plus kitchen stuff, etc. and a 3rd (captains) chair for our child.

thanks for any and all thoughts.

oh and from what I could understand from the Quigley website - they no longer convert vans other than vans they are selling as new. Unless I misunderstood...

4x4 Vans : Quigley Motor Company, Inc. > Quigley Products > Quigley 4x4 Ford Transit Vans > Convert Used Van

John

LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:27 AM   #2

Based on the SMB DYO studio, it would work. Just need to make the queen transverse, using the flarespace pods for extra space.

As for 4x4, I think QuadVan has a better product, and is a little more customizable, but they have a long waitlist right now.

IMO - a 170" wheelbase has no business being on trails anyways. If a single lane road ever comes to an end, a shorter wheelbase can Austin Powers it back around the other way. A 170" (basically the same a crew cab pickup) gets in a jam like that, it could be a LONGGG ways in reverse....
Attached Thumbnails
Canvas.jpg   Flarespace_Ford_Transit_Window_camper_van_conversion_TRW_148-PS_pccinteriors.jpg  
Old 04-25-2018, 11:04 AM   #3

Check out Faroutvan to see how much #vanlife you can stuff in to a long tall Transit. They’ve done an admirable job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Based on the SMB DYO studio, it would work. Just need to make the queen transverse, using the flarespace pods for extra space.

As for 4x4, I think QuadVan has a better product, and is a little more customizable, but they have a long waitlist right now.

IMO - a 170" wheelbase has no business being on trails anyways. If a single lane road ever comes to an end, a shorter wheelbase can Austin Powers it back around the other way. A 170" (basically the same a crew cab pickup) gets in a jam like that, it could be a LONGGG ways in reverse....
Thanks for the super awesome info and thoughts.... good thoughts!!

I can't quite make out the text on the SMB DYO studio image you uploaded... does the forum allow you to upload a hi-res version? No crisis.

we wouldnt be going on trails... just sandy washes, and clay like roads in NM are super slippy in the rain... thus the thought of 4x4.

Was not aware of QuadVan..... good to know. Long wait list isnt a deal breaker.... plus would give us time to save for the conversion.

(you) using the flarespace pods for extra space.

as we are up to pee more often as we get older... the crawl over isn't ideal.... but i do like that layout you attached. Sweet!

thanks a bunch. this all is a huge help

John
Old 04-25-2018, 12:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Check out Faroutvan to see how much #vanlife you can stuff in to a long tall Transit. They’ve done an admirable job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
awesome - will do - thanks!

http://faroutride.com/ford-transit-camper-van/
Old 04-25-2018, 01:18 PM   #6

Unfortunately the DYO is not hi res. Hopefully the embedded image below shows better. Basically, kitchenette forward of the marine bathroom, for the sink and stove. Behind the bathroom is a slide-out pantry and a full height closet (note, wheel wells prevent moving the bathroom rearward). Curbside is a full height kitchen cabinet housing the 4 cu-ft fridge and microwave. The little cabinet behind the seat is a removable pantry. Of course... this is just a concept I think I would be happy with. Benefits include a huge storage space under the rear bed, and a void below bunk which could be used for open shelves for luggage, that can double as the bunk steps. But it doesn't leave much space for systems. Water tanks and batteries would have to go under the van, which would mean heat pads and insulation for 4-season use.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:15 PM   #7

Sorry to bust this bubble fellas, but Flarespace bumpouts go into the window spaces only. Pillar posts cannot be cut. Look at the DIY diagram and notice where the side rear glass is on a long Transit. That transverse bed would have to be pulled forward around three feet for it to fit into the space. After doing that, you're going to wind up with 3 feet of space behind the bed that is only accessible from the rear doors. Again....sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Sorry to bust this bubble fellas, but Flarespace bumpouts go into the window spaces only. Pillar posts cannot be cut. Look at the DIY diagram and notice where the side rear glass is on a Transit. That transverse bed would have to be pulled forward almost three feet for it to fit into the space. After doing that, you're going to wind up with a couple of feet of space behind the bed that is only accessible from the rear doors. Again....sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
thanks for noticing that Tom. Much appreciated.

I had thought about a "trunk" but not sure if 2' is too much... probably yes...

the space would be difficult to access effectively.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Sorry to bust this bubble fellas, but Flarespace bumpouts go into the window spaces only. Pillar posts cannot be cut. Look at the DIY diagram and notice where the side rear glass is on a long Transit. That transverse bed would have to be pulled forward around three feet for it to fit into the space. After doing that, you're going to wind up with 3 feet of space behind the bed that is only accessible from the rear doors. Again....sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
I'm not sure that's correct. The DIY studio does not accurately show factory window locations. The flarespace pods definitely require removing ribs in the window cutout, regardless of body length. Also, it's shaped to fit next to the rear doors, due to the chamfer in lower rear corner.

Medium body:

Long body:
Old 04-25-2018, 07:58 PM   #10

Interesting stuff. Just FYI, until I built my platform bed I put a piece of 3/4 plywood from window sill to window sill and had no trouble sleeping on it. I'm 6'2". Sleep space is, of course, in the eye of the be(d)holder but I had no problem doing that and can't imagine going through the trouble of adding Flarespace pods to a Transit unless you are REALLY tall. I think there is right at 75" or so from window cut out to window but out.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote