Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2019, 05:08 PM   #1

2019 econoline SMB is available

Of particular interest to me is the gas spring attached to the pivot point of the cross bars. This may be a good solution for hard to lift tops.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:53 PM   #2
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
WOW!!!! I would have to pick that over the others...that is SWEEEEEET! I like the extra flair, though I am not sure how much it really helps...I will have to admit that living room plan is nice...my walkthrough is love...but gotta win that lottery for SMB #2

How much longer is the Econoline front going to be made? I thought till '19 then no...must have changed their minds...i
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
WOW!!!!
Yes indeed--VERY nice SMB!

Quote:
How much longer is the Econoline front going to be made? I thought till '19 then no...must have changed their minds...i
From what I understand the E-Series cutaway's will be with us for quite a while longer now---in fact there is a small but fascinating move to using or adapting service truck bodies into SMB's or adventure vans. Along with continuing interest (and of course sales) in/of the cutaway's the new 7.3 gasoline engines are to be offered in them as well. It would seem the once vilified Ford vans are having a resurgence of sorts.

I've always wanted an ambulance or shuttle bus chassis for a work van---the only real thing stopping me at this point is I don't need or want the DRW drive line. Those seem to be almost non-optional on most I've looked into.

So my question is this "classic" body---is that exclusive to SMB or has an aftermarket supplier/builder begun offering them as turn key or DIY conversions to an existing cutaway chassis?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Of particular interest to me is the gas spring attached to the pivot point of the cross bars. This may be a good solution for hard to lift tops.

Those have been part of the powered top mechanism for years....not sure what they actually are....they may just be tubes with springs in them...
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #5

Quote:
There will be no 2020 Econoline, but the 2019s will be made through December, and the 2021s will start up in January. With the new 7.3L powertrain, and new electronics architecture (with adaptive cruise, lane keep, emergency auto braking etc) they seem committed to the E-series for a long time.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Those have been part of the powered top mechanism for years....not sure what they actually are....they may just be tubes with springs in them...
no springs. I think Sportsmobile calls them "lift assist struts". the silver portion should slide freely within the black pivot arm ... one of mine was slightly bent resulting is jerky travel when lowering. original arm was hollow, real,acement is solid
Attached Thumbnails
lift assist- old vs new.jpg  
Old 08-14-2019, 09:03 PM   #7

It looks nice, but at $140K-$180K, I would expect better construction than L brackets and screws holding the cabinets together. I hope it’s not screwed into particleboard or MDF.

See 3:35 in the video.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2017.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	29069
cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthayn View Post
It looks nice, but at $140K-$180K, I would expect better construction than L brackets and screws holding the cabinets together. I hope it’s not screwed into particleboard or MDF.

See 3:35 in the video.

Attachment 29069
Ha! Are you kidding? You think SMB is going to change their 30 year old way of building cabinets? Not a chance.

That said, they do hold together impressively well with L-brackets. I use them in my SMB clone cabinet builds but I use this stuff called real wood. It's readily available and much more robust. So common it grows on trees. I can't believe they haven't tried it.

I look at the new SMB prices and think how a nice Prevost bus could be bought for the same money not long ago.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:50 PM   #9

For anyone who's curious about pricing on this specific SMB here's a pic of the actual window sticker on the passenger window shown in the video. I saw this SMB in person at Expo West this year and took the photo while I was there checking it out....
Attached Thumbnails
SMB_Classic_Price.jpg  
Old 08-14-2019, 10:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Yes indeed--VERY nice SMB!

So my question is this "classic" body---is that exclusive to SMB or has an aftermarket supplier/builder begun offering them as turn key or DIY conversions to an existing cutaway chassis?
The "classic" body is made by SMB, so exclusive to them at this time, although considering it's nothing more than a fiberglass copy of the E-series van sides, moved out a few inches, I don't see any reason why another company couldn't duplicate the idea if they felt there was a market for it.

I've heard SMB is considering a hi-roof version of the body as well for those not keen on a pop-top (like myself).

As nice as this van is, $192,000.... wow.

As far the E-series goes, as long as there is demand, Ford will probably keep making them.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote