Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #1

2WD E350 with a WeldTech leveling kit - tire size...

Guys-

I sent an email requesting a tire I could run on my E350 that will have a WeldTech leveling kit. I had an Action Van lifted E350 before and ran large tires. But with this leveling kit, what are the guys with 2WD running in terms of tire size?

I am looking at the Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 and wondered if a 285/70/17 would be too much for a van not lifted as much?

Thanks for the feedback in advance!

Lizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:10 PM   #2

With just a leveling kit, you're probably maxing out with a 265.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #3

Garage
+1 for what mikracer said.

On the WeldTec page for that kit, they actually stipulate the following:

"*** With trimming of the bottom bumper valance this kit allows you to run a 265/75/16 tire"

And since it already requires trimming to get the 265's to fit, a set of 285's would probably be no bueno.

https://weldtecdesigns.com/product/1...-leveling-kit/

Edit: That said.....call Jeremy at WeldTec and ask him! He'll be pretty straight with you about what the max tire is you can run. If you're only running the van on the street (and never pushing the van to the limits of its full suspension articulation) you might be able to get away with slightly-bigger rubber. Or perhaps if you space the bumper further forward....or trim the sheet metal of the bumper. (Or get a custom bumper from Jeremy of some sort.....)
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #4

I was wondering how much lift the Weldtec Leveling Kit provided? 2" lift?

I have 2" MaxxLift spacers under the front coils and my 255/75R17 (32") tires rub slightly on the fenders and bumper (without trimming) in normal parking lot maneuvers. I wouldn't want to go any larger without more lift because of the fender interference.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0750.jpg  

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post
I was wondering how much lift the Weldtec Leveling Kit provided? 2" lift?

I have 2" MaxxLift spacers under the front coils and my 255/75R17 (32") tires rub slightly on the fenders and bumper (without trimming) in normal parking lot maneuvers. I wouldn't want to go any larger without more lift because of the fender interference.
I don't think you can stack both kits to get an additional 2". I mean, you physically could, but I don't think you would be able to get your alignment back into spec. Your best bet would be to ditch the coil spacer you have and go with one of Weldtec's kits.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
I don't think you can stack both kits to get an additional 2". I mean, you physically could, but I don't think you would be able to get your alignment back into spec. Your best bet would be to ditch the coil spacer you have and go with one of Weldtec's kits.
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend stacking them either. I was just wondering the difference in height for comparison sake. The Weldtec site doesn't mention a measurement that I can find, just calling it a "Leveling Kit". The Maxxlift is 2", just wondered if the Weldtec is as well.

For my van I want to run 33" Mud Terrains. The way these 32" street tires rub, I wouldn't want to move up to a taller, wider, more aggressive tread pattern tire without a bigger lift.

Been drooling over the Weldtec 4" and 6" lifts with extended radius arms. The 4" would be sufficient, but those 6" kits

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:04 AM   #7

I have the Camburg Kit it's about 2.5" lift that handles 295 nicely
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:26 AM   #8

Anyone running Weldtech leveling kit with 17s? I want to run the M/T wheels (Classic III) and they only offer it in 17 to get the back spacing and offset. Unless someone has looked at the wheels and there are options I can run in 16 that will work.

I was going to run the Classic III M/T wheel and the 265/70/17 Hybrid Deegan tire... Thoughts?
Lizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote