Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #21
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Here is the (now infamous) post concerning the "tripods" reference...

ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:36 PM   #22

4x4 Sprinter

I'm sorry but I missed several posts back in March. I decided to build my own van rather than have GTRV do it. Nothing against them but They would not have been able to begin my build until late winter. To date I have been busy assembling all of the infrastructure parts, pieces and accessories for the build. 4 OEM side windows with vents have been installed. I have installed a Fiamma Awning, Aluminess rear bumper with box and spare carrier and their step/nerf bars. The interior of the van is bare. Next will come the Maxxair roof vent and then insulation. Solar and batteries are in the planning stage. Refer, a Novakool 4.3 cu.ft. model is on it's way. Thetford cassette toilet is on it's way Diesel heater is sitting in a box but will be installed under the passenger seat. 17" Method wheels and BFG AT's should arrive this week. I plan to do as much of the upfit as I am capable of. 1der(Ray) has been instrumental in helping me get the right stuff and has been 100% behind me on the project. Interior will be fabbed out of 1" square tube steel and faced with cabinet grade plywood. I'll have someone build doors and drawers. I am not a wood worker!! Bought a very cool book written for the DIY Sprinter build folks. It's super helpful. The 05 Sportsmobile is for sale. I'm having fun but nothing has been a challenge yet. Thanks for the feedback folks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3482.jpg   IMG_3483.jpg   IMG_4332.jpg   IMG_3511.jpg   IMG_3515.jpg  

07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #23
ctb

Garage
Thanks for the pics! You really can see the difference in size etc...of the 350 smb...great reference tool! Now if we can just get some pics (with captions that are NOT code gibberish)of the 4x4 Sprinter in work mode (some nice trails frequented by 350 SMB's that we can compare pic to pic)...that would be the complete reference guide to making the decision "is it a tripod effect when 4x4'ing or not"...can't wait to see completion pics! Could you also 'estimate' how much you $aved by DIY!?
Old 06-15-2016, 04:10 PM   #24

Thanks,
I'll do my best to keep up a photo journal of my build. And as soon as I hit the trail I'll let you know about my TRIPOD. I really don't like the "New Forum" however. It's not user friendly in my opinion. Just learned that reply notifications are not sent unless you revisit regularly so I missed a bunch of replies.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:07 PM   #25

That's going to be a plush ride when you finish up Chris!

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:26 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Thwaites View Post
Thanks,
I'll do my best to keep up a photo journal of my build. And as soon as I hit the trail I'll let you know about my TRIPOD. I really don't like the "New Forum" however. It's not user friendly in my opinion. Just learned that reply notifications are not sent unless you revisit regularly so I missed a bunch of replies.
Ramsey , AKA BajaSportsMobile, AKA Agile Off-road has a TRIPOD fix.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...kit-17484.html
Old 06-16-2016, 09:17 AM   #27

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
I got to spend a week or so with the ROAMBUILT Sprinter 4X4 144" while installing our Sprinter RIP Kit components and trying to satisfy my personal need to quantify the improvements and insure there are real results.

I'll try to get some numbers out later.

The ROAMBUILT Sprinter is obviously a real head turner - she's got the look!

I can't tell you how many times I was asked about the van and how many pictures were taken...

All of the external accessories and the 34" BFG KO2s on the custom TrailReady Wheels really make it stand out.

Without the owner present, I was hesitant to really test out the capabilities of the van in the dirt, but did get it a little dirty .

I think these upgraded Sprinter 4X4s are going to perform much better than I initially thought. The 34" tires alone make a big difference in clearances and traction. The RIP Kit improves ride height and clearances, articulation and suspension compliance. It handles heavily rutted and potholed dirt roads very comfortably now.

I'm sure a E350 Quigley as it rolled out of Quigley on stock wheels and tires would have questionable off-road performance...

The Sprinter's fixed 35/65-percent front/rear torque split and 1.40 to 1 low range may limit it in some situations - I want to try those out!

P.s.

ROAMBUILT is a new player in the Overland and Adventure Travel vehicles and is initially concentrating on the Sprinter platform.
For more info about ROAMBUILT:
@roambuilt
www.roambuilt.com

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:11 PM   #28
ctb

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio View Post
Ramsey , AKA BajaSportsMobile, AKA Agile Off-road has a TRIPOD fix.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...kit-17484.html
There is the infamous poster!! Man that post you and DaveB share really is one of the tops anymore!! So many people wondering since the 350 is dead!! Thanks Agile for the posts (too) trying to get a handle on the new generation of 4x4 offerings for the adventure driver!! Can't wait to see these things in action!! Agile; I always wonder why SMB is never on here touting their wares...with all your info and help, makes a guy think that you really have the best in mind for all of us! great business practice for SURE!!
Old 06-17-2016, 06:54 AM   #29

My daily driver is a Cayenne Turbo, and with the EDL system it ends up being quite capable off-road, despite almost a persistent tripod stance. It has taken some trial and error to really understand the EDL system, but once you get a feel for it, it works quite well.

Since it's reactive, I find it's important to keep a steady foot on the gas after the car looses traction and you are spinning a tire. The ABS system tries to work out where to send power, and after clamping down on a tire, you're off and running again. I think where a lot of people go wrong in a system like this is taking their foot off the gas too early once a tire is in the air, or they add too much gas and the wheel spins too fast to send any meaningful power across the axle. At least on the Cayenne, it takes about 2-3 seconds for the ABS system to move that power across the axle. So, once you get a wheel in the air, car stops moving forward, you need to keep your foot on the gas at roughly the same speed you were at before you stopped. As long as your tire with traction can get the car moving on its own, you will. Just gotta be patient.

If you add more gas and spin that tire faster, it's going to be harder for the EDL system to brake that wheel and send power across. If you overheat the brakes, the EDL system will shut off. So, it doesn't pay to add more gas than necessary to get moving again. I'm not sure what the specs are from MB, but both Porsche and Audi shut off the EDL system after about 50 mph for a few different reasons. So, more gas isn't always better in a situation like this, where with a locked diff, more gas would be fine.

A locked diff is still preferable for obvious reasons, but with some patience and a lighter foot, I bet these Sprinters will be quite good off-road, despite, their top-heavy looks and lack of actual locked diff.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:39 PM   #30

Wrinkledpants, I agree with you about the need to keep your foot on the gas when one of the wheels has lifted off the ground in the "tripod" scenario. I took our 4x4 144" high-roof Sprinter through (some of) the off-road driving course at Overland Expo, and the instructor kept telling me to "keep on it, keep on it, don't let off the gas" when a wheel started to spin. As you described, the Sprinter 4ETS system would apply the brake to the spinning wheel in a few seconds and you would be under way again.
WestyToSMB is offline   Reply With Quote