Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2021, 12:21 PM   #1

5.4 maintenance questions - coils, plugs and more

As some might know I am one of the few owners of a e350 4x4 SMB in Germany. So over here in the Diaspora every now and then I need a little help and advice.

A number of questions for those more experienced than I am.

I own a 2008 Ford e350 5.4 V8 with QuadVan 4x4 and Agile RIP.

It now has about 138.000 miles. I bought it 2014 and had it converted to 4x4 with about 95.000 miles. At that time ignition coils and spark plugs were changed. And (sure) everything that had to do with the 4x4 conversion.

Engine oil was changed very regularly. Last year also the axle Diff oils.

Besides that nothing much more was done. But the Van was used also offroad. About 10 % I d estimate.

It had nearly no trouble at all. Only the ignition coil on cylinder No. 2 passed away 2 years ago and was replaced.

We want to use the van for a long time (forever?) and go for a several months trip through Europe next year.

So my main question is: What would you do now maintenance wise? What specifically would you have checked? (I can’t do it myself - lack of knowledge and capabilities).

And more specific:

1. Would you change the ignition coils now? If not: After how many miles from installation?
2. Would you change spark plugs now? If not: when? Which ones? (Links?)
3. Which tips for installing them? (spark plugs) Special tools? Which torque should they be brought in with? Use any glue or sealant or whatever?
4. Would you change transmission oil? It is red and smelling normal.
5. Anything specific that should be checked or changed at the chassis?
6. Or engine? Transmission? Transfer case?
7. Anything else you recommend?

Well. This should be it.

Any advice is highly appreciated guys (and girls). 👍🏻

Philipp

chetubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:23 AM   #2

I also have a 2008 5.4L with 120K miles....

1. Would you change the ignition coils now? If not: After how many miles from installation?

I changed all of the coils at around 110K. I bought motorcraft brand from Amazon. I carry a couple of the old coils in the van as spares.

2. Would you change spark plugs now? If not: when? Which ones? (Links?)

I did the plugs around 100K...again bought Motorcraft OEM.

3. Which tips for installing them? (spark plugs) Special tools? Which torque should they be brought in with? Use any glue or sealant or whatever?

After reading horror stories of stripped threads, etc.......it wasn't that bad of a job. I think I put a little bit of anti-seize compound on the threads. From what I remember the thread stripping is more of an issue with the three valve heads in the trucks. There are a few Youtube vids around changing plugs. Use a spark plug socket that has the rubber donut in it so that the plug stays in the socket; makes it easy to remove and install. Remove coil pack and blow compressed air in plug hole before removing plug to keep debris from falling into the cylinder when removing the plug.

4. Would you change transmission oil? It is red and smelling normal.

I did mine around 100K there is a "bucket procedure" that works well (best with 2 people) you disconnect one of the trans cooler lines and start the engine letting the oil flow into a 5 gallon bucket a couple of quarts/liters at a time, then add new fluid......and repeat until the fluid flowing in the bucket looks new. I used Motorcraft Fluid. I think there are Youtube videos about this as well.

5. Anything specific that should be checked or changed at the chassis?

I have a number of grease fittings on my front axle so I grease them every so often, so far so good. If you have ball joints (I've got a D60 Kingpin axle......so no ball joints) check those, seems like these heavy vans eat ball joints.

6. Or engine? Transmission? Transfer case?

I need to change T-case fluid but haven't got to it. I think Trans ATF fluid is what's called for.

7. Anything else you recommend?

Since I keep my vehicles a long time (my daily driver is a 2003 Element with 240K miles on it) I change the brake fluid around every 80K miles.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:08 AM   #3

+1 on the brake fluid. I'd do the coolant too and the top and bottom radiator hoses.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:36 AM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
All good points of reference so far, Arctictraveller also has a 5.4 and usually carries a full arsenal of spare parts, I think he’s gone through a few coils, so maybe order a few extra to have on hand, not sure what else on the engine side that hasn’t been mentioned.
Moving to the drivetrain, check your ball joints, as mentioned, for any play, I’d get a parts list from Quadvan but most likely they’re from an F350 so easier to source, stick with Dana/Spicer. Check or service any other points of wear, bushings, tie rod, drag link, ujoints, wheel bearings, and make sure to grease your fittings and change your air filters. I just ordered up another year’s supply from Fleet Filter, usually cheaper than anyone else, especially in bulk.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:40 PM   #5

Thanks for the input so far guys! ����
'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia
chetubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 02:56 PM   #6

My 2001 is getting close to 200,000 miles. In that time I have had to change the fuel pump twice, the second time it was still running but the pressure was below spec. I've also changed the number one coil at least twice. When it failed and threw a code that told me it was the number one, but since I can change them myself, I haven't changed them all at once. Instead I carry a couple spares and the tools needed to change them. I blame the replacement failures on off brands. The fuel pump and coils were both replaced with off brands that were all I could get when on the road. Since then I've tried to only buy Motorcraft or other well built brands. I changed the plugs at about 120,000 miles, but recently I had a rough idle that I suspect was caused by the plugs, so the plugs and boots were changed with about 70,000 miles on them. At both changes the plugs looked fine, so I think it was changing the boots solved the issue. So, besides plugs, boots and fuel pumps (I carry spares of all of them) I have not had any additional engine issues except one instance of the starter not engaging the flywheel, so i now carry a spare starter but plan to change it one of these days. The 5.4 has been a very reliable engine for me.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
My 2001 is getting close to 200,000 miles. In that time I have had to change the fuel pump twice, the second time it was still running but the pressure was below spec. I've also changed the number one coil at least twice. When it failed and threw a code that told me it was the number one, but since I can change them myself, I haven't changed them all at once. Instead I carry a couple spares and the tools needed to change them. I blame the replacement failures on off brands. The fuel pump and coils were both replaced with off brands that were all I could get when on the road. Since then I've tried to only buy Motorcraft or other well built brands. I changed the plugs at about 120,000 miles, but recently I had a rough idle that I suspect was caused by the plugs, so the plugs and boots were changed with about 70,000 miles on them. At both changes the plugs looked fine, so I think it was changing the boots solved the issue. So, besides plugs, boots and fuel pumps (I carry spares of all of them) I have not had any additional engine issues except one instance of the starter not engaging the flywheel, so i now carry a spare starter but plan to change it one of these days. The 5.4 has been a very reliable engine for me.
I'm at 125K on my 1997 E-350 54.L but no fuel pumps yet. At about 110K the radiator was developing a crack but not leaking "much. So I did in one tear down.
  • Radiator new
  • Water pump new
  • V belt
  • Plugs (Motorcraft)
  • Boots (Motorcraft)
  • Injectors (ebay tested but looked used)

Previously had changed out:
  • a leaking heater core
  • a broken mixed door
  • fuel filter

One lesson learned was with the idler pullies. I did not realize I could buy them new as a wear item so I popped off the grease covers and regreased them. One started to fail about 20K miles later and left me on the side of I-8 swapping it out in the middle of summer near Yuma in 110 degF heat.

These are too easy to change to let that happen again. It was an ordeal. I think I lost 5 lbs sweating it out. This is something I need to do to the other one that was regreased. 50K miles as Preventative maintenance would not be imprudent.
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote