Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post

In fact, one might say it's a work of Art, Vandelay

^^^ I see what you did thar...lol.

vandelay, is that probe in one of the up pipes? I guess I never really thought about it as most ive installed were in the cummins trucks, but apparently its not necessary to have a reading from both sides?

bet on black, looks like the truck setup uses the same size exhaust outlet as the van so an easy swap from van to truck turbo with no exhaust mods? interesting info regarding the swap. thanks for clueing us in!

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post

vandelay, is that probe in one of the up pipes?

Having just stared at this over the weekend, the image was taken under the drivers side, looking upward. That probe is screwed into the driver's side exhaust manifold, near the exit, where the up pipe bolts to it.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post

vandelay, is that probe in one of the up pipes? I guess I never really thought about it as most ive installed were in the cummins trucks, but apparently its not necessary to have a reading from both sides?

bet on black, looks like the truck setup uses the same size exhaust outlet as the van so an easy swap from van to truck turbo with no exhaust mods? interesting info regarding the swap. thanks for clueing us in!

The outlet is different. I had to get a truck downpipe to get it to bolt up.
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Looking forward, what's your opinion on needing to add a tuner, to take advantage of the intercooler and other minor mods?
The tune really wakes these motors up a lot. Don’t do it without an EGT gauge though as not all tunes are the same, and some may cause exhaust temp issues. I ran mine without a tune but with the truck turbo and it was better, never got over 1200*F egts, but the tune really makes it run stronger.

Quote:
I'm not sure if the fuel bowl location on your 99 is the same as my 95? I was able to use the factory fuel bowl, so long as I used an early 1999 truck spider. Where do you plan to locate the intercooler? It's tight in there...

It’s right above the HPOP. I am using an Air/water IC, so the core will sit right in front of the spider. I’m not using the truck spider and Air/air intercooler setup.
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #25

bet on black and TomsBeast I am sure you are both aware of and likely also participate on this forum 7.3 engine forum:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/

If not, please do. And look for Tugly and Cleatusr12. Both gurus with the 7.3. Cleatusr12 used to map tunes for PHP.

There are not enough 7.3 engine members with vans so your participation will help all us 7.3 van guys.

I have 185 lbs compression in one cylinder, so I will be designing and implementing a DIY body lift to explore the heads and cylinders:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-results.html

If it is not merely valves I am considering buying a 7.3L truck motor with a Zf6 manual transmission and an electric shift NP273 transfer case and installing them almost as a unit.

In any event, your participation is appreciated to make the 7.3 engine knowledge pool deeper both here and deeper for vans in the 7.3 engine forum at the above site.

Thank you,

Tim Hodgson
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Having just stared at this over the weekend, the image was taken under the drivers side, looking upward. That probe is screwed into the driver's side exhaust manifold, near the exit, where the up pipe bolts to it.

Yep!! Had the up pipes off to upgrade them so was able to vacuum out the manifold after!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0822.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	28549
Here is where I put gauges
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3126.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	28550
vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:45 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350 View Post
...If not, please do. And look for Tugly and Cleatusr12. Both gurus with the 7.3. Cleatusr12 used to map tunes for PHP. ...

Tugly. Isn't that the guy with the avatar that has him just literally throwing money at his engine?

Herb
Old 07-15-2019, 08:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Tugly. Isn't that the guy with the avatar that has him just literally throwing money at his engine?
Herb
Show some respect. Those are "BuckZooka" loads!
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #29

Banks Six Gun Tuner and MagnaFlow Exhaust

I adapted the MagnaFLow exhaust for a 2003 F-350 and it works great. I also use the Banks Six Gun Tuner and no other engine mod's for my 2003 E-350 Super Duty 7.3L PSD. You will experience more interior "drone" from the exhaust, but I don't mind it; some people do.
twotimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #30

When I ordered my van there was no one that made any thing, not even chips for the van. Bully Dog was the only ones that would touch it! I have a 5". It was off the shelf custom. Snow Ford In Rialto had a vendor muffler shop do it. They had a aftermarket pickup model 5' off the shelf and sent it to a shop. they cut, mitered tiged all the pieces together kinda like buying the bends from Summit and welding them in place. 17 years it still has no leaks.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4, 7.3, diesel, ford