Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #1

5 inch exhaust for 2003 7.3 Diesel

I recently installed a performance chip in my 7.3 diesel. now I need to increase the exhaust, have any of you found a aftermarket kit for this or did you have to make a custom adaptor? I guess it doesn't have to be 5" but its 3 1/2" now and bigger is better right?
And by the way the chip is amazing, my van weighs 9600 lbs. and I want to be able to pull a trailer. In daily driver mode 60% increase the van has a little spring in it's step.

Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #2

Garage
this is the one most people use.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/K4...SABEgLK_PD_BwE

still not technically a 4" as the outlet on the stock turbo is smaller, but I did notice a difference when I installed mine.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #3

I hope you have an EGT gauge installed.

Which chip?
Old 07-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #4

I installed the Hydro chip, it offers up to 15 different modes, I had it programed for 8 modes.
yes I am installing the Edge Insight CTS2 Vehicle Monitor System, it works right off the vans computer.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
I installed the Hydro chip, it offers up to 15 different modes, I had it programed for 8 modes.
yes I am installing the Edge Insight CTS2 Vehicle Monitor System, it works right off the vans computer.
Ford's do not have a factory installed Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT) probe in any of their vehicles, therefore that data will not be available in the van's computer. The EGT probe (thermocouple) must installed aftermarket and feed some sort of EGT gauge. If I recall correctly, the CTS2 should work as the display.

Herb
Old 07-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #6

Correct re EGT data not supplied by OBD.

There is a lot of information NOT supplied by 2003 and earlier OBD, like water temperature, cylinder head temp, fuel pressure, etc. even boost is sketchy as it wants barometric offsets for altitude.

You may want to research your Edge purchase unless you know that you are adding sensors. I think they accept some mechanical probe data but that will be a sensor for each gauge reading. Most 7.3 owners combine a ScanGauge 2 with mechanical gauges for EGT, Boost, Fuel pressure. Tranny and oil temp can be read in SG2 as can rpm.

If going for A pillar mounted gauges, I suggest the two pod. The three pod creates a huge blind spot.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
this is the one most people use.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/K4...SABEgLK_PD_BwE

still not technically a 4" as the outlet on the stock turbo is smaller, but I did notice a difference when I installed mine.

Link is for a F-series truck, not a van. I thought that the trucks had different routing and had a different turbo outlet size or something so you had to buy an E-Series specific Diamond Eye 4" exhaust?
Old 07-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #8

Garage
you are correct. posted wong link, my apologies. eyes have gone bad...

www.diamondeyeperformance.com
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:50 AM   #9

Gauges

Thanks for the info, I will look into other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Correct re EGT data not supplied by OBD.

There is a lot of information NOT supplied by 2003 and earlier OBD, like water temperature, cylinder head temp, fuel pressure, etc. even boost is sketchy as it wants barometric offsets for altitude.

You may want to research your Edge purchase unless you know that you are adding sensors. I think they accept some mechanical probe data but that will be a sensor for each gauge reading. Most 7.3 owners combine a ScanGauge 2 with mechanical gauges for EGT, Boost, Fuel pressure. Tranny and oil temp can be read in SG2 as can rpm.

If going for A pillar mounted gauges, I suggest the two pod. The three pod creates a huge blind spot.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:33 AM   #10

You’re not going to fit a 5” down pipe, and 4” is plenty unless you’re building a sled puller.

I run an f-series turbo (for better midrange power) and downpipe with a diamond eyes 4” van system after that.
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4, 7.3, diesel, ford