Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2020, 02:16 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDam View Post
...I was just coming home and the trans reached that temp, I let it idle down for a while at home before shutting it down. Yesterday in a drive it came up to 210 then was back down to 204. Still I’d like to see it back in the 180 area...
Those Trans temps still are not normal for regular daily driving, something else is askew there. Relying on the fan to keep those down isn't addressing your real issue - Recommend you get that issue resolved before you proceed with anything, else you may be masking an problem that could result in considerably more repairs.
You mentioned you just had the Trans fluids changed, have you checked the level? As i stated in my last post, over filling caused my Trans temps to go through the roof. If the level is reasonable, another member here may have some diagnostic suggestion(s), I can only direct you to visit with a mechanic (and have credit card in hand).

Old 08-20-2020, 02:43 PM   #22

Ya I agree, not normal which brings up my concern. I had the transmission reach over 200 prior to the transmission fluid/filter change. The reason I did the filter/fluid change was hopefully to bring the temps down. I will double check the trans level. Wondering if my cooler could be blocked, or what can be done. May have to take it into a shop
Old 08-20-2020, 02:55 PM   #23

Does the cooler fell hot to the touch? If not....the TorqueShift has a thermostatic bypass valve at the cooler lines inlet/outlet. This could be stuck. Sometimes, working it really hard will finally let the valve open, and it should be fine after that. You might be able to persuade it by tapping on it while hot.

Another thought... If your engine has ever had the "Tapioca" problem from running green coolant, or running the hold coolant too long, the in-tank heat exchanger in the radiator can also plug up, just like engine oil cooler.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Does the cooler fell hot to the touch?

Another thought... If your engine has ever had the "Tapioca" problem from running green coolant, or running the hold coolant too long, the in-tank heat exchanger in the radiator can also plug up, just like engine oil cooler.
Drove home from work this morning short drive, through the city, trans got up to 175 and the cooler was warm enough that I couldn’t hold my hand on it.

I don’t know the history of the coolant, I have planned on doing a flush and new coolant, trying to decide if I should use ford gold or the cat coolant. Any suggestions? Also how would I be able to tell if the heat exchanger in the rad is plugged?