Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2021, 06:56 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt66paul View Post
Mainly, because it is illegal to do do so. I live in Glendora and the police department now has a program where they will etch identifying marks into the cat(license plate or VIN) free of charge. This will the honest buyers honest.
That's a great idea!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:59 AM   #72
Site Team

I'll age myself here, but I remember the days when the police use to tell you to engrave your social security number on your bicycle. The innocent days...

Herb
Old 04-17-2021, 09:01 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
I'll age myself here, but I remember the days when the police use to tell you to engrave your social security number on your bicycle. The innocent days...

Herb
Remember those days....I engraved my social security number on all my camera gear - bodies, lenses, etc. Now, if I ever decide to sell all those old film cameras I'm going to have a problem.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:32 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt66paul View Post
Mainly, because it is illegal to do do so. I live in Glendora and the police department now has a program where they will etch identifying marks into the cat(license plate or VIN) free of charge. This will the honest buyers honest.
Outstanding idea, I'll be doing mine soon, thanks.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:54 PM   #75
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
A fight to protect my catalytic converter

And no doubt you won’t stop scouring the yards for your stolen cat until it’s found.....
I think it’d be in vain, either the lowlife that stole it or the unscrupulous salvage yard operators paying out cash for these things will have discovered any identifying marks and removed them, but it’s worth a go I guess.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:33 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
And no doubt you won’t stop scouring the yards for your stolen cat until it’s found.....
I think it’d be in vain, either the lowlife that stole it or the unscrupulous salvage yard operators paying out cash for these things will have discovered any identifying marks and removed them, but it’s worth a go I guess.
Well, I suppose there’s also a possibility the scum gets busted before they can removed any marking and you get it back. Using a grinder will make any marking hard to remove too, but your right, it’s a very slim chance it will help.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:17 AM   #77

Simply being in the possession of a cat with identifying marks(from a police operation) might be enough for the thief to move on. The buyer of these units could be wary of a sting and the thief would not be able to sell it. The illegal buyer could be angry enough that he would not buy again from the stupid tweaker thief. If it looks harder then doing another, that is what they will do.
rt66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:38 AM   #78

They could just pass a law that prevents scrap yards from buying a cat that wasn't still attached to the vehicle. I do like the idea of stamping the VIN # into the cat also.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:48 AM   #79

I suppose there's nothing to lose by engraving your VIN on your converter. It may not be totally effective but it couldn't hurt.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:49 AM   #80
JEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
CARB approved aftermarket cats will pass CA smog when installed correctly.

Aftermarket Catalytic Converter Inspection | JUST SMOGS® + REPAIR
There are some vehicles - probably not your average truck - for which CARB-legal aftermarket cats are not available.

The little GMC ex-U-Haul box van has a cage of rebar welded on around the cat, I'd guess U-Haul has a serious cat-theft problem. They *DO* have a serious gas-theft problem, there are plenty of areas around here where just about anything returned after hours and left outside the gate will have its tank punched.
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4 van, catalytic converter, sportsmobile, theft