Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2022, 09:04 AM   #101
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
A. Park it inside a locked garage.
B. Add a skid plate or other component that makes it too difficult to cut and remove.
C. Cross fingers.
#1 isn't always possible.

#2 seems like a good idea but to date we've almost never seen any evidence or stories detailing how such hoped for deterrents have worked---worse yet those installed and still defeated by motivated thieves.

Despite manufacturers attempts at thwarting vehicle and parts thereof its done little to slow it all down. Things like having original VIN's stamped into/onto parts only works if those who buy salvage parts abide by the laws governing such purchases. Unless the VIN would be readily visible without a lot of checking it simply isn't that helpful of a measure.

#3 too many instances rely upon that strategy--sadly I'm one of them.

We need to remember thieves are somewhat well-practiced at their craft and the more highly motivated not the least be swayed by the ideas we've conjured hoping they'll leave us alone. Apart from a Ravelco device there's not too many ideas I've found to be really, really worth the effort.

IMHO anyway, YMMV!

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:26 AM   #102

For those that park at home on the street or side-yard ...What about the motion activated outdoorsman wildlife cameras? Especially if the camera is close enough to your home WIFI that you don't one with cellular capability. They are small, easy to conceal, infra-red, weather proof, relatively cheap. My understanding is they get motion activated, start filming and you get live notification on your phone. The thieves are quick but I doubt they could get it done before you could get to your driveway from inside the house. You may have to experiment with camera placement depending on lay of the land.

I got my wife a 135dba hand held squealer for when she goes walking. Has a wrist band and you hold it in your hand while walking. For a van thats not a daily driver you could easily tie a string from the rear wheel to the squealer and then on to the front wheel. If someone plops down on the ground beside the van and shimmies under the van they will trip the pin out of the squealer 4-5 feet from their ears....they will vacate pretty dam fast. Might be something you want in your arsenal for your camp area anyway against people, bears, etc etc
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:26 PM   #103

We had a sheriff station sponsored event where they were engraving vin numbers on Cats for people. I'm not sure if it actually works or if the scrappers turn them away. I was thinking you could get a vibro-engraver and just write "stolen property-if found contact XXX-XXX-XXXX" could also add the vin. Similar to the spray paint idea, but probably more effective.
WillTheThri11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 05:31 PM   #104

Maybe engrave your Social Security Number? You know, so it's uniquely identified as belonging to you. <kidding!>

Car & Driver claims the Ford Econoline is #4 on the list of vehicles most targeted by catalytic converter thieves.
Old 08-12-2022, 04:24 AM   #105

Finally some good news Beaverton police seize 3,000 stolen catalytic converters; 14 suspects charged
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 05:40 AM   #106

THREE THOUSAND stolen cats? [emoji15][emoji15] I guess it’s good news they caught the perps, but that they were able to steal 3,000 cats… not so much.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:17 AM   #107

Thanks for sharing that Scaff77. Might not have seen that story out here in Colorado. In the video they state the ring leader is estimated to be responsible for 44,000 cat thefts. How far reaching is that crime network? . Now lets hope the "people" charged with this will see some actual jail time.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:55 AM   #108

One man’s personal fight

https://vidmax.com/video/214323-man-...pipe-in-dallas
posplayr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:05 AM   #109

I wonder if the cops will sell those cats themselves? Gotta buy some new cruisers!

No but really there is no way to get those back to their owners. Zero chance of that so I hope they get recycled properly here in the US once cleared from evidence.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:57 AM   #110

Adding to this topic -- here's my version of my CAT Protector - a modified version of "boywonder's" -- hope he doesn't have a patent on his (lol) - or I'll be paying some lawyers fees !? Have experienced no rattling of stainless wires - left them a bit loose to help foil the movement of wires when saw blade goes to work.

[IMG]http://SMB CAT CAGE P1000085.jpg
SMB CAT CAGE P1000084.jpg[/IMG]
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4 van, catalytic converter, sportsmobile, theft