Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxswasser View Post
Wow. Blown away. Thank you! This is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm hopeful that the rust is limited. A friend told me to be weary of any gear grinding when shifting the transfer case - how should I test that?
...you shift the gear lever on the transfer case....

You should get a full pre purchase inspection (PPI) from someone like Boulder Offroad Vans before getting into this category. You should be ready to do fluid flush and fill on every part of a used van. Most vans never had anything except for an oil change.

simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #12

Whats your end goal with this van? You already know theres rust on the van. From the pics, the entire passenger side looks pretty banged up. If you plan on putting more than a couple thousand into it, I would pass. If you just want to do a minimal build and go rock crawling or use it for a hunting rig, it might be decent.

Any research on Quigley vans will tell you that the ride is horrible. You constantly hit the bump stops. You'll want to address that by getting a taller spring and properly valved shocks. Agile Offroad sells their RIP kit that gets nothing but praises. That alone will be a nice chunk of change but at least you wont need to wear a kidney belt when driving the van. Also, check the front torque arms (?) for cracks. They're known to crack.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
You already know theres rust on the van. From the pics, the entire passenger side looks pretty banged up.
Yes, you can clearly see some rot on the passenger side rocker panel, and the barn doors are quite beat up......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
It recently came from the east coast to Colorado as what looked like a good project van. Now he/she is selling it because "I was planning to build it out myself before realizing that I have no skills or free time"

Yeah I would take a hard pass unless you have lots of time and money to restore this WORK VAN. I would want to know where it was stationed and what it was used for.

It will likely last one year here in Colorado before everything falls to pieces.
It was used as a ski area wheelchair transport vehicle for at least some of its life. No idea where though. I will have lots of time come september for the interior, and my budget is about double what it costs. Do you think I'm better off buying something more expensive that may need less maintenance? I just don't see how I'm going to get another 4x4 van with 65k miles for less than $25k - everything on Ebay seems to be shooting well above that range. Thanks for your input!
maxswasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #15

You could buy this for just over your $25k budget. Seems clean and 22k miles

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...578451538.html

v10, wheelchair lift, high top, 4x4 in black.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:09 PM   #16

For 6K, you could have this infinitely better van, albeit 2WD.
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/...561160261.html

The van posted, besides being a beat up rust bucket, has the inline 6-cyl. That means it has the worst of both worlds....The passing power of a 60's Westy van, and worse fuel economy than a V10.

Even though the van only has 60k, they're clearly very rough miles, which probably meant lots of low speeds and idling. I'd take something with higher miles but taken better care of, any day of the week.

For what you'd spend on initial repairs, you could buy the van I posted, and U-Joint it, for probably the same overall cost. And get a passenger seat....
Old 05-03-2018, 06:09 PM   #17

How much of a project do you want?

v10, 4x4, 91k for $9500

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/...578923716.html
Old 05-03-2018, 06:12 PM   #18

Or 5.4, 4x4, 75k big lift. $18k.

https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/d...571283443.html
Old 05-03-2018, 06:15 PM   #19

I would much rather have a clean van with no rust and 200k than a rusty van with 65k.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
I would much rather have a clean van with no rust and 200k than a rusty van with 65k.

THIS!

My second van had 65k when I bought it, but came from PA, and has a couple holes rusted though in the floor pan in the front step area that are repairable, and within my skill set. The 230k miles one it replaced that came from OK, didn't have any. The lower mileage motor ended up needing a new starter and alternator in the first couple thousand miles I had it and it blew an hpop seal...not a single problem in the 20k miles I put on the one that I got with 230k.
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote