Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2007, 08:01 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
well I've burned all my "what the H*77 is going on with my gas tank?" and probably all my other credit with SMB as well... someone else will have to ask.
Jeremiah,

Why not direct to the source? Here's a link to the tank I think we have. It talkes about a Ford van with a Quigley conversion but this is probably the same tank as SMB uses. At a minimum, I believe this is the manufacturer of the tank SMB uses.

http://www.transferflow.com/Ford_van_midship_tank.html

Herb

Old 09-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #22
Site Team

Garage
fuel tanks

There is a thread going on the SMB owners group concerning this problem and it seems all you can get into these fuel tanks is 37 gallons. I ran mine to empty, the fuel light came on and I got just over 37 gallons in. Someone posted on the SMB owners group that the newer tanks will only hold 37 gal due to some idiot Ca law. Anybody find this to be true?
Dave Boyer.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:46 PM   #23

That's what I was worried about on my 05 because I was hitting 37 almost exactly, but it turned out I wasn't doing it right. There's something on their website about CA having 38 gallon tanks.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage
Not sure what you mean. Fueling right???
DaveB

Old 09-20-2007, 11:44 PM   #25

Insert nozzle...
pull lever... wait....
*click* 34.966 gal
pull lever, *click* 35.118 gal
pull lever, *click* 35.285 gal
pull lever, *click* 35.420 gal
pull lever, *click* 35.783 gal
pull lever, *click* 36.174 gal
pull lever, *click* 36.366 gal
pull lever, *click* 36.491 gal
pull lever, *click* 37.117 gal
pull lever, *click* 37.592 gal
pull lever, *click* 38.108 gal
pull lever, *click* 38.383 gal
pull lever, *click* 38.880 gal
pull lever, *click* 39.208 gal
pull lever, *click* 39.616 gal
pull lever, *click* 40.290 gal
pull lever, *click* 40.413 gal
pull lever, *click* 40.482 gal
pull lever, *click* 41.097 gal
pull lever, *click* 41.699 gal
pull lever, *click* 42.150 gal
figure that must be enough, give up

Stopping at line 3 "*click* 34.966 gal" is "not doing it right"... more here: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=261
Old 09-26-2007, 09:24 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage
Well you can do like I did; hey buddy, diesel is spilling all over the ground below your vehicle. I probably got 40 gallons into the tank but 2 gallons were under the van. A real slow rate just pumps it all over the ground. Go to car wash!
Dave.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:00 AM   #27

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
Transfer Flow also sells fill necks. They're more designed for using the big pumps at trucks stops. I do wonder if it would help. It just doesn't look like they make one for vans.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #28

Well,

I have been putting 25 or so in each time when the 31 gallon tanks show low, so that seems OK. Today, when I filled the tank, it only show half full and I put 25 gallons in. Guess I need to go to the Fprd dealer and see what's wrong with the guage.
Steve
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #29

Fill Up

Here are some valid suggestion's that came from a Fuel Terminal Manager that has worked very well for me over the years .
#1 Fill or Top your tank in the early A.M. hours as Gas and Diesel shrink in volume overnight do to the cooler temperatures this will allow you to get more into your tanks and the Diesel will not be as prone to Foaming .
#2 If you choose to use the automatic means of fueling , keep it at the lowest setting . When nearing full you are able to hear a bubbling sound at this point stop pumping and (my) count to 30 then as gingerly as possible fill till you can actually see the fuel in the spout , if you see foam stop pumping and wait a few seconds and begin anew until full .
#3 Always try to avoid filling up if their is a fuel delivery tanker at the station
refilling their tanks , I will ask the driver what he is delivering if it is (not) Diesel then you should be in good shape . This will keep particulate matter in the stations large storage tank in their tank and not in yours and it will also keep the ambient amount of moisture at a minimum .
#4 Last always keep you tanks as completely full as possible keeping the condensation levels down in your tank and saving you the premature changing of your Water Separator Filters .

The above has seemed to work for myself and all that I shared with , you might give a whirl and see if it works for you .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:32 PM   #30

Fill Up

Here are some valid suggestion's that came from a Fuel Terminal Manager that has worked very well for me over the years .
#1 Fill or Top your tank in the early A.M. hours as Gas and Diesel shrink in volume overnight do to the cooler temperatures this will allow you to get more into your tanks and the Diesel will not be as prone to Foaming .
#2 If you choose to use the automatic means of fueling , keep it at the lowest setting . When nearing full you are able to hear a bubbling sound at this point stop pumping and (my) count to 30 then as gingerly as possible fill till you can actually see the fuel in the spout , if you see foam stop pumping and wait a few seconds and begin anew until full .
#3 Always try to avoid filling up if their is a fuel delivery tanker at the station
refilling their tanks , I will ask the driver what he is delivering if it is (not) Diesel then you should be in good shape . This will keep particulate matter in the stations large storage tank in their tank and not in yours and it will also keep the ambient amount of moisture at a minimum .
#4 Last always keep you tanks as completely full as possible keeping the condensation levels down in your tank and saving you the premature changing of your Water Separator Filters .

The above has seemed to work for myself and all that I shared with , you might give a whirl and see if it works for you .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote