Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2021, 11:22 PM   #141

Adding Cruise to my 2003 E350 SD. Boy was I confused when I first got started. But here's what I've learned so far and I believe it applies to most 150's, 250's and 350's and probably trucks as well.
First off there appears to be three generations of cruise controls systems 97 and earlier,(vacuum system) 98 -2004 (Servo Stepper motor) and 2005 up (fly by wire). Diesels are a different system all together.

2005 and up should be an easy add, just need wheel with buttons and the correct clock spring. Possibly would need programming of the vehicle computer. This system would use the same stepper motor that the throttle uses. Fully controlled by the computer. Fly by wire!

98-2003 not as easy. Based on my current knowledge while trying to keep all parts NOS.

I will need new wheel with buttons, I used a OEM 97-03 FORD F150 EXPEDITION GRAY VINYL STEERING WHEEL w / CRUISE CONTROL many truck and van steering wheels in these years should fit.

COVER AND CONTACT PLATE ASY F8UZ-14A664-DA w/ airbag w/ cruise this will plug into the existing factory harness and provide the wiring for horn, airbag and cruise.

A speed control servo actuator(YC2Z-9C735-AA) seems tough to find as well. Interestingly a guy on youtube used a Taurus actuator and it worked. The actuator is actually 3 parts, circuit board, motor gear assembly, bracket. The motor/gear assembly appears to be a interchangeable part. The circuit board may also be a interchangeable part, I'll check it closely to see if I can figure out if it has any chips that are programmable(there may be vehicle specific programming in the board).

The brackets are vehicle specific as well as the actuator cable depending on the throttle body connection. I think I found a new NOS cable XC2Z-9A825-BA this would be for a 5.4 gasser. It would appear that the servo end of the cable is identical on all the servo actuator cables. The engine end changes depending on the throttle body. If anyone knows which vehicles used the 5.4 that cable may work as well. There's always the possibility of fabbing a cable end to work possibly with aircraft hardware. The shop manual indicates the cable is pulled 10mm max in operation.

additionally there are two possible Speed control cutout switches these are easy to find 1 type plugs into the brake system master cylinder. I've found references to a brake pedal type. The switch is a NC circuit so its possible to just jump the connector for testing. If you have skills you could cut new threads in the MC casing (there's a undrilled spot for it) for the switch or add in a tee, (street Tee) in a brake line, I'm still not sure but the thread size looks 1/8 but no taper. The OEM way would be to just change the MC with a new one for a vehicle with cruise.

Finally there is a Ford service bulletin you can find by Googling TSB 06-8-5. This give good detail on the built in diagnostics. It uses the speed control indicator light to flash codes. Some say their cluster dont have it but more than likely it does. It wouldn't make sense to have different injection molds, the bulb may not be installed or even the correct wire for it but it would be possible, service data indicates its a GND signal from the servo. I found mine using a flashlight lower left in the instrument cluster. looks like a clock icon almost.

Most importantly is that the wiring harness for all this is in place look for a wide 10pin connector located under the coolant tank mounted on the fender, there will also be a 2pin connector for the MC speed control release switch next to it!

I'm still waiting on parts but with any luck I'll be able to cruise soon. Still not entirely sure what the main computer interface look's like. I think it operates as more of an interlock to allow cruise to activate, several other items must be correct for it to allow cruise ON, like brake light circuit, VSS signal, etc not entirely sure, programming may be needed, but likely it its already active.

If anyone has more to add please feel free, or to straighten me out on my mistakes.

E350KUV2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:27 PM   #142

There seems to be two types of servo brackets as well, one is for most V8's while the other is listed for V10's if anyone could take a second to shoot a picture of their bracket that would really great!
E350KUV2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 01:16 PM   #143

Been lurking for years but this thread finally got me to get an account (should have done this years ago.) Working on adding cruise to my '98 7.3 E350. I changed the steering wheel (off of a 97 F150), clockspring, added MC sensor over a year ago, couldn't get it to work and gave up. I'm back at it once again.

question: does anyone have a photo/part number for brake pedal pressure switch? I can't find any info about this thing and I think its the only piece of this puzzle I'm missing.

Thanks in advance!
rangermoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:31 AM   #144

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/el...pair-7810645-1

parts.ford.com
enter you vehicle info / year

I searched for cruise control switch
Sometimes there is a very nice diagram you can use.
desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:38 PM   #145

Thanks, but not the part I was needing. Earlier in this thread there’s mentions of a brake [I]pedal[I] switch (physically on the pedal) that I’m confused about. I’ve pulled wiring diagrams from motorcraft Service and alldata. I was hoping someone had a photo of this switch that I could refer to.
rangermoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:51 PM   #146

Making a guess here : On my 2009, that is the "stop lamp switch" which turns off the brake lights when the pedal is not pressed. (they default to on, so if you remove the switch the brake lights stay on)

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/el...ight-6297205-1
desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:40 PM   #147

My 1997 E-350 has CC added new by the dealer when I bought it but it is virtually the same as added by the factory which is a stepper motor servo and includes the diagnostic but no dash CC indicator so you have to add one or just rig one up.

I'm an electrical engineer, have replaced the clock spring (new OEM) and switches (used but no different than my existing) verified the brake switches and swapped out the servo for another functioning one (passes the diagnostic switch tests all until the last step) but still fails somewhere due to the brake switches (apparently). They test fine so not sure what it is. I have given up for the time being.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ing-28365.html
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:52 AM   #148
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangermoose View Post
Thanks, but not the part I was needing. Earlier in this thread there’s mentions of a brake [I]pedal[I] switch (physically on the pedal) that I’m confused about. I’ve pulled wiring diagrams from motorcraft Service and alldata. I was hoping someone had a photo of this switch that I could refer to.
The switch you're asking about is a separate device that is a secondary cancellation device not found on vehicles prior to 2005 and without factory installed VSC. It was part of the kit and would have also been installed by the factory during manufacture.

In 2003 there was only the Brake Position Sensor which simultaneously operated the brake lamps as well as the VSC cancellation. There is also a Brake Pressure Sensor which was yet another way to cancel VSC if that were desirable.

I don't know exactly how a factory-installed VSC was wired but when I added a factory VSC complete package to my 2000 E-250 there was a user-installed switch in addition to the Brake Postion Switch. Here's a photo of the 2000 switch and the 2003 (both with VSC) and the brake pedal:

2000 user added VSC, factory parts:

2003 factory installed option:

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:18 AM   #149

2002 E450 7.3 Powerstroke Owner here

So I have read this thread back and forth probably 10 times now and all the replies so Thank you for all that have contributed...

I still have questions:

1.) So this speedo servo actuator is this something that is "ALREADY installed" factory on all E-series vans even if it was optioned with CRUISE or without CRUISE, or does this have to be added or sourced? Also do you then need the throttle body cable associated with this speedo servo actuator? Much like say the mid-90s vehicles cruise controls which had the cable from the electronic module with cable that was controlled by turn signal stalk and pcm??? Can we get a good picture of this installed on someone on heres van so we can have it in this thread for reference?

2.) What years need or have this speedo servo actuator module and cable set up? Do I need this for my 2002 to make the cruise function?

3.) In the begging of this post, many are referencing "jumping out" the orange/green wires? Does this mean you are cutting the connector out and splicing these wires together to make it work if you DO NOT have the master cylinder that has the port for the cylinder cruise release switch ?? If you are not splicing these wires together (where are you running these JUMPED out wires too?) pics and better explanation on this would help members out a-lot.

4.) I personally do not have the master cylinder with the port for the release switch (but assuming I have the wiring like everyone has mentioned) can I just buy the switch and that will allow the circuit to read and function or do I need more to make this happen?

5.) The brake pedal/taillight kill switch or sensor that is needed do we have any photos of this part or is this something that is factory installed and we need to just splice into it, or does it need to be sourced?

6.) To clear things up, the instrument cluster does have a cruise control light for it, just mine did not have a cluster bulb in it when I pulled it to fix the illumination problem for it. So I did add that bulb in hopes it will light when I get the cruise control working.

I am a 02' powerstroke 7.3 guy here with the proper steering wheel, new clock spring and need more info on how to make this work......as I kept reading I got more confused because people either have it work or they don't. I think if we can clean some of this up with a a master list of years, complete parts needed, electrical modifications, it will really help the community out here, just saying. Thanks for the help in advanced and reading this far.
Skoolie_of_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:50 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoolie_of_Fish View Post
So I have read this thread back and forth probably 10 times now and all the replies so Thank you for all that have contributed...

I still have questions:

1.) So this speedo servo actuator is this something that is "ALREADY installed" factory on all E-series vans even if it was optioned with CRUISE or without CRUISE, or does this have to be added or sourced? Also do you then need the throttle body cable associated with this speedo servo actuator? Much like say the mid-90s vehicles cruise controls which had the cable from the electronic module with cable that was controlled by turn signal stalk and pcm??? Can we get a good picture of this installed on someone on heres van so we can have it in this thread for reference?

2.) What years need or have this speedo servo actuator module and cable set up? Do I need this for my 2002 to make the cruise function?

3.) In the begging of this post, many are referencing "jumping out" the orange/green wires? Does this mean you are cutting the connector out and splicing these wires together to make it work if you DO NOT have the master cylinder that has the port for the cylinder cruise release switch ?? If you are not splicing these wires together (where are you running these JUMPED out wires too?) pics and better explanation on this would help members out a-lot.

4.) I personally do not have the master cylinder with the port for the release switch (but assuming I have the wiring like everyone has mentioned) can I just buy the switch and that will allow the circuit to read and function or do I need more to make this happen?

5.) The brake pedal/taillight kill switch or sensor that is needed do we have any photos of this part or is this something that is factory installed and we need to just splice into it, or does it need to be sourced?

6.) To clear things up, the instrument cluster does have a cruise control light for it, just mine did not have a cluster bulb in it when I pulled it to fix the illumination problem for it. So I did add that bulb in hopes it will light when I get the cruise control working.

I am a 02' powerstroke 7.3 guy here with the proper steering wheel, new clock spring and need more info on how to make this work......as I kept reading I got more confused because people either have it work or they don't. I think if we can clean some of this up with a a master list of years, complete parts needed, electrical modifications, it will really help the community out here, just saying. Thanks for the help in advanced and reading this far.
Some things to keep in mind. I only have experience with the 5.4L 1997 gas but assume similar characteristics for the diesel but no first-hand knowledge. I would strongly recommend getting a factory service manual with the electrical schematics addendum for your specific model and year. Unless otherwise stated all my comments are related to the earlier style servo motor controller (with cable) versions of VSC.

1.) There was a change over from Servomotor Controlled VSC (a servo cable is pulling the throttle open) to software-based VSC where throttle control was all electronics. JWA identifies the year of the transition as 2005 in the post just above yours.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post300506

2.) The servo-controlled VSC has the servo motor (approx 6"x4" Alum. box) located on the driver's side just below the brake booster on the inner fender well.
I would guess it would only be there is properly optioned, while the wire cabling is probably part of the standard harness. There should be a 10 pin cable that attaches to the servomotor.

3.) Again according to JWA, the exact configurations for VSC are supposed to be year specific, but in any case, the earlier VSC servo motors include all the "smarts" for VCS. You still need the cabling and brake switches to make it operate but the details are year-specific.

In my thread on the subject, I listed the diagnostic tests you can run once you have the parts assembled. The main smarts run in the circuit board contained in the servo motor .

I will at least mention what seems to be a common theme in the SevoControlled VCS variants. The servo controller as mentioned has all the smarts including the diagnostic tests and these servo controllers operate with dual redundant brake switch inputs (to cut out cruise control when the brakes are depressed). Some of these switches are on the brake master cylinder and there have been recalled to replace them because they were faulty (not designed to carry the current that Ford puts through the switch). That said not all versions of servo-controlled VCS have that for example my 1997 has a dual brake switched under the driver's side dash.

BTW I don't recognize the wire color code you mentioned so no comment on guessing which that is.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ing-28365.html

This is a pretty typical schematics that show that the speed input comes through the main body computer for signal conditioning only then goes to the Servo Motor. Other than condoning the speed signal there is no involvement with the main body computer in the VCS operation.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...p;d=1618769578
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote