Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2015, 01:00 AM   #21

Re: Advice On Quadcopter Brand & Use

To Jeffrey and Sheriffdoug:

I think the Phantom line and the Inspire are too limited and lightweight for what you want to do. Try checking out DJI's other higher end stuff like the Flamewheels and S1000. Those can be made to carry the cameras you mention. There are also other companies that make similar kits and products that compete with DJI. I saw a guy on YouTube that would build anything requested. I think he has one that will carry a RED.

As for having full, or at least a majority of camera control features you need, I would love to see what you end up with. I would be willing to risk my old Canon 40D on a quad if there's a rig that could lift and control it decently.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:56 PM   #22

I got my new DJI Inspire 1 quadcopter last week and have been having fun with it:

You can see the sunshade for my iPad with live video. My SMB is in the new barn at the back left in the shot from about 400 feet up. I posted a video here: https://youtu.be/rYP2oU7Xiu0. If you want to see the full resolution version of the photo above I put it here: http://davidelmore.com/Images/DQ15030107.jpg.

Some background. I got the idea for aerial photography last December and started out with a Hubsan X4 H107C 4CH RC Quadcopter With HD 2 MP (about $70 on Amazon) and practiced with that while we spent our winter in TX and AZ. The photos are low quality but it was great for learning how to fly. I took it up a couple hundred feet and lost sight of it a couple of times. I figure you need to be good with the controls and know what to watch out for before you get the expensive one.

I am happy with the wide angle lens (20mm equivalent). Although a longer one would be nice, there are several problems some of which were mentioned above. Longer focal length means smaller depth of field, a problem with a fixed-focus lens; the decreased field of view means it is harder to aim right; and longer means it has to be more stable for sharp images (or shorter exposure time). Having said this, DJI will probably come out with new cameras for this quad and in the mean time I will get lots of experience and fun shooting with this one.

Let me know if you have questions.

David
Old 03-31-2015, 05:41 PM   #23

Garage

Good for you, Dave! I'm sure you are having fun and getting some good images. Good to hear you talk about what it takes for better image-making, and knowing what the difficulties and tradeoffs are. I know I am quite particular and demanding with my photographic needs. But I get the results I desire. I can always wait and spend huge dollars on a copter system the will make better stills, but I just dropped $3k on ONE new lens for my Canon pro body. It's always something!
Old 03-31-2015, 06:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
... it sure would be nice to have a 60 or 80mm prime lens. It would make shooting some of my subjects a whole lot simpler from a greater distance rather than up closes and personal.
"greater distance" meaning "out of shotgun range"?

Something else to think about re longer lenses are depth of field (apparently -- but not really -- shallower with longer lenses) and foreshortening, i.e. shots with longer lenses will tend to have a flatter image. The combined effect of both of these makes for much harder photography on an airborne platform.

2005 Ford E350 6.8L V-10 RB-50

redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:18 PM   #25

What program are you using for uploading for others to view? I have been having trouble with my gopro and youtube. Awesome video though!
silvrzuki77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:12 PM   #26

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock
shots with longer lenses will tend to have a flatter image.
Not true at all. What causes the perspective of the relationship between elements in an image to appear 'flat' is not focal length. It is only the camera to subject distance. Same effect takes place with your eyes only. It is the common use of longer focal length lenses by people that are far from their subjects that created that erroneous myth.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrzuki77
What program are you using for uploading for others to view? I have been having trouble with my gopro and youtube. Awesome video though!
I shot in 4K MP4 video and processed in PowerDirector13. Then I produced (exported) to 1080x1920 30fps H.264 with the highest bitrate 48500 Kbps following all the Google/youtube suggestions here. This produced a huge file 650 MB for under 2 minutes of video. Fortunately I have very fast internet so this did not take long to upload. I tried lower bitrates and did not like the quality. Still I see compression artifacts in the trees. Also on my desktop the video is choppy, but it looks fine on my TV and iPad.

David
Old 04-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #28

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamadave
I got my new DJI Inspire 1 quadcopter last week and have been having fun with it:

You can see the sunshade for my iPad with live video. My SMB is in the new barn at the back left in the shot from about 400 feet up. I posted a video here: https://youtu.be/rYP2oU7Xiu0. If you want to see the full resolution version of the photo above I put it here: http://davidelmore.com/Images/DQ15030107.jpg.

Some background. I got the idea for aerial photography last December and started out with a Hubsan X4 H107C 4CH RC Quadcopter With HD 2 MP (about $70 on Amazon) and practiced with that while we spent our winter in TX and AZ. The photos are low quality but it was great for learning how to fly. I took it up a couple hundred feet and lost sight of it a couple of times. I figure you need to be good with the controls and know what to watch out for before you get the expensive one.

I am happy with the wide angle lens (20mm equivalent). Although a longer one would be nice, there are several problems some of which were mentioned above. Longer focal length means smaller depth of field, a problem with a fixed-focus lens; the decreased field of view means it is harder to aim right; and longer means it has to be more stable for sharp images (or shorter exposure time). Having said this, DJI will probably come out with new cameras for this quad and in the mean time I will get lots of experience and fun shooting with this one.

Let me know if you have questions.

David
Hi Dave,

Great post & pictures, very inspiring! I have not bought a Quadcopter yet, leaning towards DJ1 Phantom 2 vision plus with monitor. Hard case & prop guards. Still deciding.

Thank You All, for great comments & write ups.

Doug
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote