Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2019, 07:17 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
As mentioned I'm in the auto/truck windshield biz and would highly recommend NOT using Safe-Lite. Despite the semi-positive comments in this forum they're typically on the lower side of quality both in the stuff they install--they manufacture their own parts--and their installers who are trained in-house by Safe-Lite----they have little to no experience with any one particular vehicle especially "older" vehicles like our vans.

(Obviously I'm not in your market area so have no financial stake in this--simply trying to get you the best end result.)

One example of that limited experience is IF your vehicle has ANY visible rust of ANY degree they'll walk away from the job, tell you to get that completely fixed first and then they'll return. If they begin the job IF they find ANY rust under the windshield in the pinch weld area they'll walk away on that too---same speil, get it fixed and they'll come back another time, no charge at that time.

Independent shops understand small bits of rust could be present and are completely ready to make the small repair and add future prevention of such things. Its not a complicated process but Safe-Lite chooses to put customers into inconvenient situations without concern for the problems that might create.

Further independent shops will have enough experience with E-Series vans so they'd know to pay special attention to the upper corners where a factory body seam exists---this seam has been known to pull apart and cause a leak. Sadly too often those leaks go undetected resulting in hidden rust under interior trim panels and floor coverings.

Safe-Lite's slick TV and radio ads are nothing more than scare tactics designed to worry the bejesus out of soccer moms that their kids are in grave danger of beheading if Safe-Lite doesn't send their crack squad of "technicians" out to immediately take care of things. Balderdash in the real world yet it seems to work on the uninformed. No offense to soccer moms intended.......

While they are quick to respond to problems--NEVER the same tech returning BTW--its better having it done correctly the first time. Safe-Lite does not deliver that consistently.

The ONLY advantage to Safe-Lite is they have nation-wide service in the event you had an issue while away from home. However their quality is still inconsistent no matter where they're located. If you're paying for replacement out of your own pocket you'll find them higher priced than

As said "factory" windshields don't exist although you can choose a Carlite brand which is close to what was installed during manufacture. They do carry a premium price for no reason other than the name. I use that brand because I remove the rear view mirror lug and can order a part that leaves a "clean" without that annoy bit of schmutz distracting me. The windshield most shops would bring would not give them finished result but if you use or keep the rear view mirror it would be fine. Obviously I don't have or use the interior rear view mirror.

Brand wise you'd want to stick with PGW or Pilkington. Do know Pilkington has a secondary brand known as Tri-Val which by their own admission "isn't the worst stuff out there..." Yeah that's what we want right?

One last thing---windshields come in "colors" that have been dependent on the year of the van---at least that's the way its supposed to be. These days most shops use a part number that fits all E-Series from 2013 EOL back to 1992---its easier for them to inventory. While the windshields fit perfectly there are minor differences that can be obtained or omitted depending on your personal preference.

The least expensive for the shop to buy is what we call "shaded"---the dark band of color across the top, p/n DW1504 GBY in Carlite or another brand. The W/S withOUT that dark band is DW1504 GTY--it carries an increased cost to the shop of about 25%. FWIW this is because more of the GBY's are made than the GTY's so economy of scale figures in.

(Please know those numbers are for illustration only---can change depending on a few factors like the rear view mirror bracket I mentioned above.)

In the end take whatever opinions and/or experiences you feel most comfortable as they apply to people working on your van or the parts they use. Additionally if I can be of further information or help don't hesitate to PM me or post here---glad to do what I can.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #12

JWA, how can I remove the mirror button? It's in the way of my traffic cam. Thanks......
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:06 PM   #13

Garage
Thanks tons JWA!!!!

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:10 AM   #14
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
JWA, how can I remove the mirror button? It's in the way of my traffic cam. Thanks......
Sorry AT---didn't see your question here.

Mine have been removed by an induction heater used to remove windshields from steel body vehicles. I'm not sure how to remove it any other way---its bonded to the glass with a Loc-Tite product.

Heat is the key to removing it although without a portable induction heater its tough getting it hot enough to break the bond but not over heat and break the windshield.

You could clamp a pair of Vise Grip's on the button, use a small torch or heat gun aimed a few inches below the button so the pliers absorb and transfer the heat to the button into the thin layer of adhesive. Naturally you'd have another pair of pliers to grab the Vise Grip's gently twisting them as this assembly heated up. However you do this the heat needs to be transferred slowly to avoid cracking the windshield.

Once the button and pliers fall way let that and the windshield cool naturally, simply remove the heat source

Personally I'd place a piece of plywood or such on the dash in case the button and Vise Grip's fall off.

There was a time we could order these windshields without that button but they've long ago been discontinued and no longer available.

Not sure this is helpful but its how I'd go about it.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #15

JWA, Thanks for that, I suspected the solution was something similar. Unfortunately, I'm a bit too scared to try heating the thing, I've had more than one broken windshield from the careless application of heat. Once it was a very expensive window in the pilot house of a yacht where I placed a heater on the dash to defrost it, and my last truck windshield spontaneously cracked one scorching hot day. I do have a release agent that works with 5200 (the devils glue), so I' think I'll try that first. Thanks again......................
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #16
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
JWA, Thanks for that, I suspected the solution was something similar. Unfortunately, I'm a bit too scared to try heating the thing, I've had more than one broken windshield from the careless application of heat. Once it was a very expensive window in the pilot house of a yacht where I placed a heater on the dash to defrost it, and my last truck windshield spontaneously cracked one scorching hot day. I do have a release agent that works with 5200 (the devils glue), so I' think I'll try that first. Thanks again......................
That's certainly a sketchy approach AT but the only way I know to do this---apart from the induction heater that is. Its worked flawlessly for me over 3 different E-Series windshields.

Once upon a time a glass supply company offered what was nothing more than a 40 Watt soldering pencil with direct fitting mirror button "shoe". Attach it to the button, plug it and wait for it to drop off. Not sure if they had breakage issues or too many complaints of burnt dashboards but its no longer available.

BTW if your release agent works please post back or PM me---I'd love to have that info should others need it.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #17

From Carwindshields.info website:

"Major OEM windshield brands are Saint-Gobain Sekurit (SGS), Carlite, Pilkington, PPG, Mopar, and AP Tech.

Safelite and Guardian are widely-used American Third Party Aftermarket makes. Heshan Zhengda, Dongguan Brightpower and Shiyan Huachao are the notable Chinese makers of Third Party Aftermarket windshields. A word of caution, though: they make Third Party Aftermarket windshields as far as Europeans and Americans are concerned; in China and other Far-Eastern countries they are OEM!

Yet another word of caution is called for: sometimes Chinese-made glass is simply stamped with an American company’s name so it passes off as an American product. This is not a Chinese ‘imitation’ or forged item, but actually made per order placed by an American company! (An OEM vendor cannot engage in such practices for fear of losing its contracts and approved vendor status.)

OEM

OEM windshields are those that placed in a vehicle upon manufacture. These Original Equipment Manufacturer windshields are produced by a manufacturer for a specific model of that vehicle and these manufacturers may change from year to year, as the car makers seek to minimize costs. A Same-OEM windshield will have all the attachments and moldings that the original windshield did because it is the identical product; it will have the exact same part number. This is why OEM Windshields are easily replaced with another such windshield from the same manufacturer. A Same-OEM windshield will, obviously, meet the same governmental and auto-maker standards as your original windshield.

Companies Providing OEM Windshields

There are several well-known companies producing OEM windshields, companies such as AP Tech, Pilkington and PPG. These companies have long been trusted by the major automotive brands to supply their windshields. An individual seeking a replacement OEM windshield can acquire one directly from their brand’s supplier.

Dealer

Dealer windshields are essentially the same as OEM with one difference; the dealer symbol is emblazoned on the windshield. Thus, if the person were to go to a Honda dealer for their windshield, it would come with Honda written in a bottom corner. This is the true for all dealer windshields.

Companies Providing Dealer Windshields

The same companies providing OEM windshields provide dealer windshields. These companies can be AP Tech, Pikington or PPG, the top three manufacturers. Here, the manufacturer simply adds the dealer brand to a corner of the windshield.

Aftermarket

Aftermarket windshields are purchased through a company not affiliated with the dealer and who does not carry OEM windshields. For example, the Safelite company is an aftermarket windshield carrier. These windshields are affordable, as they tend to be no frills. Thus, an aftermarket windshield will no longer have the dealer emblem on the glass, and they may not be manufactured to the same standards as OEM/Dealer windshields.

Companies Providing Aftermarket Windshields

There are several companies who provide aftermarket windshields; these include SafeLite, Alibaba, and the like. These companies produce their own windshields and they cut these to fit the vehicle for which they were ordered.

Which Windshield to Choose?

Given the three main choices a person has to choose from, it can become frustrating to find the perfect choice for the vehicle. In order to make this decision, the car owner should consider the following:

Quality: aftermarket windscreens are not held to the same standards as dealer or OEM.
Safety: OEM and dealer glass is made to fit a vehicle perfectly. These windscreens are designed to ensure a snug fit and are safer. The OEM will pass all regulations set into place by government.

Price: aftermarket windscreens are usually far less expensive than the other two options.

Automotive professionals will often suggest going with OEM or dealer windshield replacement, regardless of the cost, out of the heightened safety that they offer."

2001 Chevrolet Express 3500 Quigley 4WD ATF "Bomber Van"
1995 Chevrolet ASSTRO 4WD Quigley Custom Van
1994 Dodge B350 Sportsmobile Van
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #18

Garage
vintageracer - Good stuff! I found this to be useful & enlightening, certainly changes my thought process for the next windshield I may need.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #19
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
vintageracer - Good stuff! I found this to be useful & enlightening, certainly changes my thought process for the next windshield I may need.
Its interesting mostly from the POV how much misinformation the general public can find much too easily these days.

In the end the best or smartest choice is finding the better installer first, go with their recommendation which part to use but only after you've determined what sorts and duration of warranty they offer.

Anyway guys good luck with this---its never as easy as we'd hope it to be!
Old 06-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #20

Hey guys I got a busted windshield yesterday on my e350 . I got my first estimate today of 495.00$ out the door .. 😬
These guys are a local family owned business with a good reputation but this seems too steep to me. Any advise on what a reasonable price to be looking for ?
PRERUNNERCAMPERVANNER is offline   Reply With Quote