Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #1

Agile RIP, I need some advice, please.

I have been reading about the Agile RIP mostly on this forum. The general consensus seems to be this is a worthy improvement to invest in. I have received a quote from Agile (near $3K) for my rig. The price seems a little stiff for some shocks, springs, miscellaneous parts and labor. I am not sure what to expect and/or if the improvement is worth it. At present my rig seems to handle OK both on and off the road. The majority of the mileage is on the road. Ideally it would be great to drive an identical rig with the RIP installed to make a comparison. Unlikely here in the Bay Area. Therefore, I am requesting any descriptions, feedback, opinions, advice, suggestions or anything else from the people on this worthy forum.

My rig is a 1999 Ford E350 RB V10 Quigley 4X4 with PH. It is lifted 3" with Rancho shocks and Nitto Terra Grappler tires. Mileage is 76,000. I am not sure if I need to supply any further information.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
Ideally it would be great to drive an identical rig with the RIP installed to make a comparison. Unlikely here in the Bay Area. .
Actually, Robb (Rallypanam) has one of Ramsey's old vans for sale in S.F. http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...use-24795.html

Ramsey, it you didn't know was the founder of Agile off road and developed the RIP kit to improve the ride of Quigley's. His kit makes a large difference in the handling. Sadly, he passed away a couple years ago, but John who took over ownership spent most of his life working in the off road industry, including many years at Fox.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:31 PM   #3

^^Ramseys van has his TTB conversion.

I'm sure there is someone in the bay area with a RIP kit. Are you bouncing off the bump stops constantly? I've owned 2 Quigley Van's and they both were constantly riding the bump stops. That's the biggest takeaway from the RIP kit. I never got the RIP kit because I sold those vans but if I would have kept one, I most definitely would have purchased a kit.

Some people are totally content and happy with the quigley ride, but most complain about the harsh ride aka bouncing off the bump stops.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:53 PM   #4

I have a 2001 EB Quigley 4x4 with 6" lift. My van was a handful to drive on the road. Offroad I never really had issue with the van, but I really wanted the on-road experience to be better. My van wandered and took constant steering wheel correction to keep it in a straight line. It was totally worth it for me. The van became MUCH easier to drive after install of the RIP kit. Is it perfect? No. It still drives like a big van with a big lift, but it is much much better.

If you don't have much of a problem with the way your van drives, maybe it's not worth it for you, but for me it was.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #5

I don't have a full RIP kit, but the $700 I spent on the Fox shocks is TOTALLY worth it. They are great.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:36 AM   #6

Does anyone find that the kit improves towing with an EB? My quigley is pretty bad on the highway and even worse with a decent amount of tongue weight. Im sure this is more related the front end becoming unweighted due to the distance between the hitch and rear axle.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
The RIP kit would improve the handling for sure, but you’d want to consider new rear leaf springs to get rid of the inadequate original leaf springs and the lift blocks.
If you’re towing a decent amount or at least a heavier load that unweights your front end, you should also look at a weight distributing hitch (WDH) like Anderson or Fastway E2, there are a bunch of others too.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:05 AM   #8

Thanks for your input. No, I am not sure I have ever felt the bump stops as you say. I had to replace the tracking bar soon after I purchased my SMB 6 years ago to correct the "wandering" on the highway. The only complaint I really have presently is after 80 miles an hour the ride is a little dodgy. I only go 80+ when I have to stay ahead of the freightliners on the interstate and that is seldom.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:48 PM   #9

Garage
I bought the Agile RIP package for my Van: front coils, tuned fox shocks, steering stabilizer, and anti-sway bar raised blocks. I also later added new rear leafs too. Both the RIP kit and the rear springs made it a much better ride on and off the road. Originally, it was fine on a flat highway, just when there was a dip or bump, I'd bottom out pretty hard in the front, and was too bouncy in the rear. Off road was pretty harsh all around before. I'm quite happy with the upgrades. I installed all this stuff in my driveway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
The RIP kit would improve the handling for sure, but you’d want to consider new rear leaf springs to get rid of the inadequate original leaf springs and the lift blocks.
If you’re towing a decent amount or at least a heavier load that unweights your front end, you should also look at a weight distributing hitch (WDH) like Anderson or Fastway E2, there are a bunch of others too.
Fool120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to egpeil Send a message via Skype™ to egpeil
I bought the RIP kit for the front only for my 04 E350 6.0 EB. I wanted the rear as well but couldn't afford the $1,800 for the rear leaf springs. Instead I used F250 springs and added a couple leaves. It's not idea but it does ride and drive much better than it did.

I tow a 33' 10,500 lb toyhauler with my van and this area was much improved as well but it's very the rear leaf springs from Agile would be better.
egpeil is offline   Reply With Quote