Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #1

Alice has been stolen! ( SLC,Utah )-FOUND SAFE

Alice" was taken from my driveway last evening while my family and I were inside enjoying our Christmas eve dinner and get-together. It happened after dark, sometime between 5:00P.M and 11:30. When I took the garbage out, to my horror, I saw that she was gone! The Salt Lake City police officer I talked with said he was very familiar with Sportsmobiles, which helps some....he was extremely helpful and understanding. He said that usually the bigger vans are stolen for transporting people or merchandise....or go to a chop shop for the more valuable items...not necessarily for the Ford parts. I said " oh, it's probably on it's way to California...." He replied, "you'd be surprised, it' could still easily be in SLC being driven around....there are an awful lot of stupid criminals around!"

I don't think there is much any of you all can do, but I wanted to alert you to this. I will post a picture or two later, but here is a description of her: She's a 2008 Ford RB, 4WD, Pueblo Gold.. She has a black grill and a black bra. Her spare tire is underneath. She has the regular Ford chrome bumpers. No ladder or rack on top, but there is one 130w solar panel on top. The inside has the usual camping things, with no fancy electronics, etc. (we try to keep it simple). There were no anti-theft devices on her, I'm sorry to say. I guess I'm too trusting (but not anymore). She was all locked up, and they got into her without breaking glass...

In spite of all this, I do wish all of you guys and gals a Merry Christmas, and wonderful and safe travels in 2011!

Edie

Edie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #2

Re: Alice has been stolen! ( SLC,Utah )

Not cool.

Well, add one more person to the SMB Forum naughty list...
Old 12-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #3

Edie,
Very sorry to hear this. Let's hope she turns up safely. This is a real bummer.

Take care,

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
Site Team

What a kick in the gut, and Christmas Eve to boot.

Wishing you all the best in this tough time for you and your family.
[edit; JUST TO GET A PIC FRONT AND CENTER, I COPIED AND PASTED A PIC FROM YOUR GALLERY]

I'll remove the pic if you prefer.

Herb
Old 12-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

That's absolutly the worst. Hope she shows back up soon with no damage....will keep an eye open in Ca.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:31 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

So sorry to hear that Edie Hoping to recover her soon.

P.S. Check SLC Craigslist for parts that you have in Alice. I know its a long shot, but its worth a try for Alice. Good Luck!

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #7

Well, good news! Alice has been found!! As it turns out, she wasn't stolen after all!.....she was found, parked near a local market.. My friend, who ALWAYS walks home from the store, took her to be washed, then apparently stopped by the market for a last minute purchase. Well, he parked, walked home, as he always does, and did not remember leaving her there. After she was found today, he realized that he was the culprit. He feels terrible about causing all the trouble and worry to everyone involved. Drink wasn't involved in this...age is a factor. Being "absent-minded" can get definitely worse with age!

So, my apologies to you all about this false alarm..but it really was a hellish night and morning, with imaginations of horrible things that might be happening to Alice. I DO trust 95% of the people, but I definitely will be getting some kind of a security system soon!
Yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus!

Thanks to Steve, Jessene, daveb, surfgeek, and Herb for your replies and concern. Yes, Herb, that is a happy picture....thanks so much for posting it. Many more happy trails to find for all in the coming year!

Edie
Edie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Glad to here you're having a Merry Christmas after all.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #9

Glad things worked out for you after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edie
" oh, it's probably on it's way to California...."
Hey, were not all bad out here. Maybe you were thinking of those guys in the Southern part of the State.

I found that even a alarm system can help. A few weeks ago, our alarm went off. It turns out the passenger side door wasn't fully latched (caused by the awing bracket being a little bent). So the crackheads opened the door, the alarm went off, and they split. They had been there awhile because my Prius (which I thought was locked but wasn't) was rifled through. Finding nothing of interest in the Prius they decided to graduate up to the SMB. There were lots of goodies they would have made off with had it not been for the alarm.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
Site Team

Happy Festivus!