Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #11

Re: All Terrain Warriors and Sportsmobile West Partnership

What I would really like is camper conversion using a smaller body mounted on a 4x4 E450. Something like a Turtle-Top body or a utility body with some extra windows. I really don't like pickup-cabs off-road, because you can't see anything in front of you except the hood and sky, when it really gets steep. And it requires more wheelbase and overall length for the same size body. I've driven enough cab-overs to know I would never drive one by choice.

Utility almost the same interior floorspace as a regular van, but lots of too storage and workspace on the outside

Plus, the E-series cutaways have been committed through 2019, even though the vans have only been committed through 2015.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage

All of those are just too big IMO but if I could pull a jeep (or similar) behind it, that might fit some adventures. The problem for me (besides price) is I really prefer not pulling something. The desert is OK but my choice is exploring in the Sierra type zones. I can't even get an SMB hard top rig into some of the places I go. If I win the lotto I would look closely but then I'd also have a RB E350 parked next to my EB that would be parked next to the Jeep I'd also buy one of them houses Marc is selling.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff
Curious. I'm guessing Sportsmobile is doing this as one way to investigate new strategies now that the Ford E-Series (RIP 2013) and other traditional American full-size vans are coming to an end. Am I right here?

The ATW looks pretty rugged (& cushy inside), but I think it's a tad large for exploring wooded areas. The old RB Ford E-series van really hits that sweet spot of being as large as possible while still fitting down overgrown tree-lined logging roads (& turning around when needed) -- and also into a standard parking space. Not too wide or long.

. . .

-- Geoff
We saw an EarthRoamer in Sliverton last June. It seemed like a Class C motorhome on testosterone. It wasn't gong anywhere without clear overhead to the sky and wouldn't handle a narrow trail at all. I think the Aussie vehicle isn't quite so over-the-top but I agree totally about the Ford RB. I'd love to see that interior after my dogs spent the day in water and mud.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #14

Needs to be said one more time. No matter what base-vehicle, no matter what country-of-origin, no matter how much "moonscape" it can handle, my state and all of the states surrounding don't have any unpaved roads that have clear overstory. Tree limbs will reduce all them over-sized, high-priced rigs to fiberglass dust in a matter of a few miles. That just the "roads", forget the not-roads. The locally famous "Stockna Hole" eats trackhoes-on-mats a couple times a year... and looks dry the whole time.

Y'all go buy up some E350's and keep on rollin'. Leave the other toys for the Saudi's et al. I'm trying to sell them fella's some of my mansions just now.
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
Needs to be said one more time. No matter what base-vehicle, no matter what country-of-origin, no matter how much "moonscape" it can handle, my state and all of the states surrounding don't have any unpaved roads that have clear overstory. Tree limbs will reduce all them over-sized, high-priced rigs to fiberglass dust in a matter of a few miles. That just the "roads", forget the not-roads. The locally famous "Stockna Hole" eats trackhoes-on-mats a couple times a year... and looks dry the whole time.

Y'all go buy up some E350's and keep on rollin'. Leave the other toys for the Saudi's et al. I'm trying to sell them fella's some of my mansions just now.
Come on, I bet you'd love to drive one of those Mad Max RVs through the heart of NYC.

Herb
Old 08-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #16

"through the heart of NYC" being the operative phrase, I'd love to just use a wooden stake.

Over and over again
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Quote:

We were going to cross the Cabeza Prieta NWR in SW Arizona once with our Lance. Barely started, a palo verde blocked our passage across a wash with branches carefully aimed at the cabover portion of the camper. Back up, turnaround and find another trip for another day.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #18

Good points about excessive height. And about fiberglass bodies. If the ATW were mine it would be cracked in several places by now.

Another concern of mine is stealth. I like to think that when I'm touring around rural Mexico or whatnot that I'm in what appears to be a generic van, maybe a bit lifted. Perhaps I'm fooling myself -- but I know I can't roll up in this monster without being noticed:

-- Geoff
Old 08-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #19

All they need is a matching motorcycle behind the car!
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
"through the heart of NYC" being the operative phrase, I'd love to just use a wooden stake.

Over and over again
Yeah, but NYC, like many parts of Cali, has gone full zombie and is impossible to kill. Is it any wonder Kurt Russell had to escape from both NY and LA?