Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2022, 02:55 PM   #1

Aluminess and 7.3 Heat

Hi all. I'm taking my van to UJOINT Colorado in a few months for a 6" on 35" build with 4.10s.

I installed a hydra tuner, EGT probe, and Edge Gauge recently and have been enjoying the power and mpg boost. I'm also now aware of how hot the van gets driving all these mountain passes out west.

I've been frequently seeing 1200 EGT, 225 oil temps, and occasionally 220 transmission temps on these big passes. Even when I drop O/D. It's really easy to push EGT right up to 1400 if I'm not paying close attention.

My questions:
Should I go for 4.30 or 4.56 gearing over 4.10?

Will an aluminess front bumper make any difference for heat? It looks like it will reduce air flow to radiator and cooling stack.

Should I do an oil cooler and transmission cooler upgrade before the bumper goes in?

Is there another bumper I should look at?

Is 4" exhaust worth it? I don't really want more noise, and definitely need to keep it below obnoxious levels.

maxswasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 03:27 PM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Aluminess and 7.3 Heat

All of the above…..
I went with 4.56 gearing on my 7.3 running 315’s(35), helps keep the engine at the right RMP so the trans and EGT’s stay cooler.
Also look at adding a larger mag-Hytec or similar trans pan and yes, a larger cooler like a tru cool.
A 4” exhaust will help keep temps in check too, done right with the right components, you should not have drone. There’s a great shop here in Boulder, Boulder Muffler, Jeff knows his stuff and will do it right.
Aluminess bumper shouldn’t restrict air flow, I have one up front, I also installed a billet grill insert with larger spacing between bars to keep things flowing.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 03:49 PM   #3

Excellent. Thanks REF. Are those worrying numbers? And generally, do you think it's better to take a pullout and let transmission and oil cool-off halfway, or should I just finish driving the pass?
maxswasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 04:19 PM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Aluminess and 7.3 Heat

Those numbers are on the upper end, but within the thresholds of normal operating temps, just keep moving. It sounds like your trans cooling fan is kicking on at around that 216-220 point as it should and 1200 EGT’s are the norm for pulling grade. Along with O/D off, I back off the throttle a bit if it creeps up past that point, especially if sustained and sometimes I’ll back down my Hydra tuner and run in stock form pulling steep grades, I drop into 2nd if I’m bogging on a grade so the transmission doesn’t hunt back and forth, especially when towing.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 06:13 PM   #5

Because the 7.3 vans don't have an intercooler, sometimes you just have to slow down a bit and drive using the EGT gauge as your speedometer. At least you have the tools to monitor the vitals.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 10:05 AM   #6

The answer here in intercooler.
bisonthecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote