Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2018, 10:23 AM   #1

Aluminess Deluxe Box Alternatives

Am interested in possibly installing a Deluxe box ,but was interested in if any one has had success with any other manufacturers.My requirements are definitely lockable and watertight, with similar measurements.
I presently have stock bumpers and would be using the rear hitch and doing a support of my own design as it has to be removable.
Thanks
Roger

Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #2

Google search "underbody tool box" I'm sure you'll find something that fits your criteria, if only needing some mild creativity to mount.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:13 AM   #3

Garage
I'm using a Buyers Product box, had it close to 2 years. Waterproof, satisfactory construction, and locks. I don't like the diamond plate, but it was about half of a Aluminess box. TheLetterJ is right on. I bought mine from amazon. I added the rails to the top of the box.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:55 AM   #4

TheLetterJ thanks that was what I was after!Did a little bit of searching yesterday and found a lot of ideas.
Am finding it a little tougher to find the dimensions that the deluxe box have.
Marret sweet setup, will take a closer look at that Buyers Product as it looks like a good alternative.
Was looking at a Rakattach swing out as I am considering modifying a setup like that to accommodate a box on the driver side.
Cheers Roger
Old 09-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #5

Just a heads up - make sure to take into account the brake lights / turn signals. Marret’s setup works because the GMC brake/ turn signals are higher up on the body. No way that would fly with a Ford.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:59 PM   #6

Getting the right size box is key. I searched until I found a box the correct width, then bought two and stacked them. I mounted the top box so the lid swings up and out of the way. I envision adding LED lighting to illuminate the lower door used as workspace, but so far haven’t done it. They are lightweight aluminum. Works pretty good, about the same width as aluminess, a little talller, but I can still see out the back window. I forget the exact price but both boxes were under $300. I built the swing arms for this back bumper to mount the tire and boxes.
Attached Thumbnails
AC22C1E4-2F3B-4FA0-A0C5-B2175B31DBE9.jpg   060EA616-DCDB-4B7A-84AF-4156A628349C.jpg   27D354FB-3639-44CD-904E-D9DD908B95D6.jpg  

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:02 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post
Getting the right size box is key. I searched until I found a box the correct width, then bought two and stacked them. I mounted the top box so the lid swings up and out of the way. I envision adding LED lighting to illuminate the lower door used as workspace, but so far haven’t done it. They are lightweight aluminum. Works pretty good, about the same width as aluminess, a little talller, but I can still see out the back window. I forget the exact price but both boxes were under $300. I built the swing arms for this back bumper to mount the tire and boxes.
Great idea to stack 2 and fairly cheap, did you add any sort of shock on the top box to keep it open so you don't have to hold it up? I think I am going to copy this idea at some point, I already have a Reunel bumper with swing-arms but no enclosed box.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #8

I haven’t done that yet. Just been using a prop rod. One of these years I plan on revisiting this project. Currently have bigger projects getting my attention.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:55 AM   #9

Garage
I used a Wilco Offroad Hitchswing for mounting my box for over a year before getting the rear bumper. I had a mount fabricated to hold the box. I had thought about stacking, but with the high taillights I decided to just go wider:
Old 09-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post
Shadetree can you tell me what brand boxes you used?