Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2022, 09:06 PM   #1

Aluminess Rear bumper recovery point

Has anybody installed a recovery point on their aluminess rear bumper?
I had a small situation this weekend (pictures below) where it would have been handy.

We had to attach the strap around the end of the bumper, which is not ideal
Attached Thumbnails
van2.jpeg   van1.jpeg  

John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 10:12 PM   #2

Wow, not fun!

re: recovery points on Aluminess bumpers both front and rear:

One has to seriously consider the bumpers are attached to the flanges that held the attachments for the stock bumpers. Those flanges are just held on to the frame ends by some not so beefy welds since the flanges were not designed for being pulled on, rather they were designed for being pushed against. These welds are the weakest point in pulling on the Aluminess bumper.

At the very least additional welding should be done to create a more positive connection of the mounting flange to the frame.

By far, the strongest recovery points on our rigs are going to be the rear tow hitch and a front mounted hitch attached to the frame.

The front bumper shackle mounts would be "useful" provided the mounting flanges have been solidly reinforced in their attachment to the ends of the frame C Channel.

The rear bumper typically does not have the shackle mounts. Wrapping a strap around the middle of the bumper would be the area (the boxed in part) I would use if the hitch was not accessible. And, again, the amount of force I would exert on this would be with strong consideration to the reinforcement of the mounting flange connection to the frame ends.

Hope that helps! Sounds like you were able get out without any damage. Love our extended van except in the situations like you encountered.

Did you happen to see the flex in your frame to body?
Old 12-19-2022, 07:33 AM   #3

Garage
I have installed a hitch on the frame below the Aluminess rear bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
52B20711-8920-4C00-86F7-2EAB5AAD6983.jpeg  

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:26 AM   #4

The shackle mounts on the front bumper have some substantial hunks of welded aluminum bar stock that tie back to the frame mounts. Unforch the rear doesn't have this; I'm sure it would be easy to twist up the rear bumper from pulling on it too hard.

But as mentioned the receiver hitch is fairly burly.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:33 AM   #5

I agree with the need for a hitch. I am surprised your Aluminess rear bumper doesn't have one. Our Sprinter rear bumper has a hitch included and I always carry the ball insert even if I am not towing anything just to have an easy attachment for an emergency tow strap.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 12:59 PM   #6

Thank you everybody for the comments.

When I installed the bumper I removed the tow hitch to gain extra ground clearance. The amount the box stuck out was alarming enough

Yes on other off road vehicles I have owned the recovery points are normally bolted thru the bumper on to the frame rails. I was just wondering if anybody had done a similar modification to their bumper.

I did try and loop a strap around the middle of the bumper, but there is a trim trim stopping the strap from going thru.

Now the van is sitting on the driveway I may look at cutting a section the the trim piece out to fit a strap before reinstalling the tow hitch.
Old 12-19-2022, 01:00 PM   #7

[QUOTE=jrobe;317592 I always carry the ball insert even if I am not towing anything just to have an easy attachment for an emergency tow strap.[/QUOTE]

never use the ball as a connection point for recovery, it’s extremely dangerous. Not long ago, one broke off and flew through the windshield of the winch vehicle killing the driver in BC. Instead get an insert with a D ring designed for that use.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...very-accident/
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 01:18 PM   #8

Yes, we used D rings with a kinetic strap (never used this kind of strap before, worked great).
Old 12-20-2022, 05:17 AM   #9

Here's my "two cents" - although NOT being an expert on towing, etc. I learned along time ago - do not try to cross or traverse a steep driveway - or a "ditch" as seen in the posted photo ! Traverse it by or on at least a 45 degree angle ! Generally works ever time !? Give it a try ?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 11:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
Here's my "two cents" - although NOT being an expert on towing, etc. I learned along time ago - do not try to cross or traverse a steep driveway - or a "ditch" as seen in the posted photo ! Traverse it by or on at least a 45 degree angle ! Generally works ever time !? Give it a try ?
Better have at least one locker. One front wheel and the opposing side rear wheel will have no traction.

Been there, done that. And why I have lockers in both front and rear axles...I find myself in this situation all the time.