Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 09:36 PM   #1

Aluminess tire carrier door movement range impact

Hey all, long time lurker here. I currently have a home build (2000 EB 350) in progress and I'm curious about the aluminess tire carrier. Does the carrier inhibit any of the range of the door? I imagine so, but was wondering if anyone has a picture or video to illustrate the limitation. Right now, the drivers side rear door can open to about 180 degrees -- what would my limit be with the tire carrier?

I was also thinking about fabricating my own that hinges around and in front of the tail light, enabling more range.

More range with the door offers a wider drawer that can pull out the rear -- every inch counts

barryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:40 PM   #2

I don’t have a video but I can tell you that it does impact the range of the door. The biggest factor will be the size (thickness) of the spare.

You open the carrier all the way until the spare is touching the side of the van. Then you open the door until it touches the carrier. I would say impact occurs somewhere between 120-150 degrees. So the door is almost flat open across the back.

The limitation on my vans with the carrier is the length of rubber tubing that holds all the wires for the tail lights. That starts to stretch before the door is completely open.

Here is a pic
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2750.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	27156
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminess, tire carrier