Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2010, 06:40 PM   #11

Re: Am I getting a good deal on this Quigley?

They make both IFS and solid front axle for GM. It looks like the split front-end in the SMB Texas photo. The solid front end has a 3.5" lift and that one doesn't look that high.

webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Tiger
I fell in love with that Ford as well.
Heard that one is under negotiation, and at least how Texas does it is if a buyer is talking to owner, nobody else can put an offer through. Anyone here?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #13

Oops, short attention span.... I lost all focus when I saw the 2003 Ford. The Chevy is a pretty good deal too!
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #14

If you are towing heavy, you proablby want the Ford. It has 4,000 pounds more towing capcity (GCWR Ford = 20,000 vs 16,000 Chevy).

I tow up to up to 18,000 pounds with me extended Ford, and I like the way it handles, even at that weight.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #15

18,000 pounds! That's amazing. I doubt I would ever tow anything over 8,000. My tractor with front end loader only weighs about 5,500 and that's the heaviest toy I currently have. My primary boat that I tow all over creation is a Hells Bay flats boat. With the motor it only weighs 875 pounds. It's made to go really shallow for bonefish and tarpon. I don't know what the trailer weighs but the total rig fully loaded with everything can't weigh more than 2,000. I have center console bay boat that is probably 3,700 pounds total. I barely know it's back there with my 1/2 ton suburban so if the SMB will handle 16,000 I should be in great shape. I had no idea the tow capacities were that high.
91Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #16
Site Team

From Ford:
GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating)
Weight specified by the manufacturer as the maximum loaded weight of a towing vehicle and its trailer. The sum of the loaded vehicle weight of the truck and trailer should not exceed the GCWR.GCWR = vehicle curb weight + payload + trailer weight + driver and passengers

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Most states, you'd receive citation after citation for that sort of load, and I doubt you'd be allowed to continue on. You're sharing the road with my family and me, and I resent people who think that they're different and accidents will never happen to them. Jeopardize your own life if you want to, but not that of your passengers and others on the road.

Herb
Old 02-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

That seems like a very good deal on the GM diesel Quigley. Chevy detunes the Duramax in the vans just like Ford does the 6.0. We had a 2004 half ton Express van and I really didn't like the way everything shook on washboard roads. You could see daylight out the front doors as they flexed and the steering wheel assembly moved noticeably. Our van had 60/40 doors on both sides so it may have had less rigidity than other vans. It became a rattle trap after a 100-mile jaunt on Death Valley dirt roads (also blew out the front shocks). Food for thought, your results may vary. The Ford vans we've had are much more solid off-road. On-road manners and front leg room of the Chevy were superior to Ford.

On the off-topic trailer weight discussion, I've never quite understood why an F350 pickup can tow almost twice as heavy a trailer as an E350 van - they have the same engine, transmission, and often the same axles and brakes. CarringB has a dual rear axle just like an F350 so does that mean his tow capacity is increased?

There are new 1/2 ton pickups that can tow 11,300 lbs which is more than the 10,000 lbs my E350 is rated for. I've always scratched my head about this. I know towing capacity = bragging rights for the pickup market and the Big Three used to scramble to outdo each other with more power and higher load capacity. But for a new 1/2 ton to exceed the ratings of a 1 ton doesn't make sense to me.

One thing I've been told is that if you're towing something over the GCWR and you have an accident, you could be in for a world of hurt including stiff fines and possible civil or criminal litigation depending on the circumstances. I tow up to 7,000 lbs with our van and you definitely know its back there. I wouldn't want to regularly operate the van much over whatever the GCWR sticker says on the van (~20,000 lbs for mine).
Old 02-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
From Ford:
GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating)
Weight specified by the manufacturer as the maximum loaded weight of a towing vehicle and its trailer. The sum of the loaded vehicle weight of the truck and trailer should not exceed the GCWR.GCWR = vehicle curb weight + payload + trailer weight + driver and passengers

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Most states, you'd receive citation after citation for that sort of load, and I doubt you'd be allowed to continue on. You're sharing the road with my family and me, and I resent people who think that they're different and accidents will never happen to them. Jeopardize your own life if you want to, but not that of your passengers and others on the road.

Herb
Yes, I am over GCWR by up to 5,000 pounds sometimes. I have upgraded the brakes and powertrain accordingly. BTW - nothing in GCWR relates to safety. It is there as a warranty and performance standard.

Even at full load, I can stop all 25,000 on a 7% downgrade from 70 MPH without trailer brakes, in less than 1/8 mile. I've driven Chevy vans towing less than 5000 pounds, that could not achieve that.

And no, I would not be cited an any state. If you think I'm wrong about that, provide the evidence to the contrary. I am 100% certain OR allows me to operate up to road federal axle limits. The only comments on my setups from law enforcement agents have been positive ones.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

You will likely never be stopped or cited for an overweight personal vehicle. However, if there is an accident with injuries or fatalities all bets are off. Your insurance company may look for a reason to deny your claim. Never underestimate the zeal of an ambulance-chasing attorney.....

Hijack over, I won't post any more on this.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #20

I drove the 2008 GMC 4x4 EB for $68,000 listed on the Austin used van page last summer. It has been there a long time but it drives nice and has very little, if any wear and tear. I converted a used van with Sportsmobile but if I had the money I might have bought it myself.

Kyle