Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #1

Am I looking for a ghost?

Haven't been looking too long but I haven't seen a single van with the specs I'm looking for.

Not picky on year, just lowish miles
RB Cargo 250 or 350
5.4 engine
Cargo side barn doors with windows
Windows on the back doors

That's it. That's all I know I'd like at this point. Is this a needle in a haystack find? I see plenty of the above in EB.

J.Spicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:05 PM   #2

Look on Sportsmobile's site as there have been some of what you are looking for.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:34 PM   #3

It took us six months to find the right SMB. Be patient. One will turn up.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
It took us six months to find the right SMB. Be patient. One will turn up.
This. Took me a little longer than that, but it will happen.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Look on Sportsmobile's site as there have been some of what you are looking for.

I'm starting to hit up about a half dozen different websites just looking for the basic van that i can then convert myself or SMB. It would be awesome to find the above van already converted from SMB but that would be even harder to find. I'd love the 50 layout without the PH top or any added side windows. Seems most have the top and windows already.
J.Spicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:24 AM   #6

Took me 3 years to find my SMB here on the east coast. Not that I wasn't willing to fly somewhere to look at one, it just seemed the good deals got snatched up before I could pull the trigger. Finally saw one an hour west of me and drove out immediately to get it. Wasn't exactly what I wanted so I settled (2wd), but did have the layout I wanted. Now it's at UJOINT getting converted -6" with 35s-. Kinda hard to believe you can't find the van your looking for, seems that model would be pretty common. Keep looking the perfect van will find you.....
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:45 AM   #7
Site Team

No matter what, have your finances squared away and be ready to pull the trigger. When you find the rig you're looking for, it will probably be the same rig that 2 or 3 other people are looking for, and I've seen many a rig lost to someone else while they're getting their funds squared away.

Herb
Old 06-05-2016, 08:20 AM   #8

Garage
I found my SMB after looking 3-4 times per day for about 6 months.
The best was tool was Search Tempest. Type in the word "Sportsmobile" and it will search every Craigslist in the country and ebay as well. The guy that owned it did post here, but he posted Craigslist first and I spoke to him first. By the end of the day he had 4-5 interested parties. He honored my first response, I paid for him to have the vehicle inspected by a ford dealership, the Ford Stuff, and we flew to see it in person a few days later. As BroncoHauler said, you must be ready to pull the trigger. I think it is a good idea to have a set of minimum requirements that you will settle for, as you do, and when the iron is hot, strike.

Also, depending on your location and your ability to travel to find one, check out FamVans.com, they usually have a ton of inventory. They are located in Fountain Valley, Between LA and San Diego in Southern California. Their inventory changes all the time and they buy bulk from big companies and messenger services, etc. Not a lot of low mile vans, but many I saw were in very good shape.

Stay diligent!
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:40 AM   #9

Am I looking for a ghost?

Just drove by this van yesterday at a local place: 2014 E150 cargo with barn doors and 8,000 miles. 4.6l engine. $23k. I used to use the place to service my vehicles. They are a leasing company too and service all their leased vehicle themselves. I can take a look at in person if somebody is interested. Located just outside of Philadelphia.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8153/overview/
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote