Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to jason_leaf_indymac
AMP steps / Rock Sliders

Does anyone have rock sliders on their SMB? Seems most o what I see are hoops, tube steps, and amp automatic steps. I love the idea of the AMP steps but i was wondering if you can use them with rock sliders...and who makes the rock sliders. I have a couple contacts that make rock sliders for Jeeps and if there is a need I may be able to get them to make a few sets.

Thanks!

jason_leaf_indymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #2

Garage
I don't know of an outfit that makes rock sliders for vans, but I would be very interested in them. It takes a bit of engineering to design and prototype them before they are available to the public.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #3

I don't think there is a lot of engineering and design going on... much less testing. I know guys who will do everything from welding in place of body panels to bolting on with no support. A lot of the 4wd shops that do custom made just slap on whatever without worrying too much about how it will actually react to standing on a boulder or something.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:57 AM   #4

I'm headed to Reno later this week to buy some rectangular tubing, etc. Will be welding up a set of rock rails. If it all works out, I'll let ya know. The starting batteries for the diesel on the right side will be a challenge to get around and still make the rail tough enough. Time will tell....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
How well do the AMP steps tuck out of the way? My wife is vertically challenged so I'm trying to figure out the best way to get her and the little kids in and out. The AMP steps sound like a nice option. I just don't want to spend a lot of money on something that will get torn off the first time we head into the woods.

I don't think the nerf bars SMB offers provide much protection for rocks crawling. But I've seen small trees (1" - 2") do some serious body damage from just "rubbing" against them. So I do think they offer some value to some of us.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:10 PM   #6

I have 315's on 17" rims. I just measured my steps and the lowest point of the mechanism (one of the arms supporting the step) is 20.5 inches from the ground when closed.
The ATS nerf bars supplied by SMB are actually hollow on the bottom, not smooth where they would potentially come in contact with rocks.
armlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:43 PM   #7

We just got back from SMB Fresno yesterday.

Originally, we had our van ordered with 3 hoop steps. This configuration is fine for drivers side, but limits access on the passenger side for my family. I ended up ordering one AMP for that side, and a hoop step for the drivers.

Seemed silly to pay $1200 for a 6' rail step for the driver.
canyonclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:57 AM   #8

Well, I finally got my rock rails welded up and on the rig. I didn't use as much bracing as I have with other rails, but they are strong enough to jack up the van using them as the jack point so they should do the job and at least save the rocker panels when I do something stupid. My wife was afraid that they would interfere with the hoop steps on the front doors, but they are fine. Now I have to take 'em off and have them powder coated and one more project will be done!

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #9

Garage
Sounds, great, scatter. How about some detail pics of the construction of them and the connection to the frame.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #10

Scatter.
I would be very interested in your pictures. I think I can make a better step than the Nerfs also and way more protection for a lot less.

RB50 in Utero