Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #41

Re: Annoying to "break camp" every time you want to drive?

Thule rack with Thule Hullivator installed. I have a little more into at the end of my build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9283&start=30

tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #42

Imagine getting back to camp and no trailer. I would rather lose an ez up and a few chairs. I cook inside so stove is with us.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #43

Solo trips a couple minutes like below. One chair usually out everthing else i leave inside. With the misses 15 minutes or so.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #44

Carry dual sport bikes

I carry two dual sport bikes. One is loaded in the van (I've set up my van to take a bike and convert into camp when I un load) and one is on a carrier on the rear hitch. I can carry up to a 600 pounder if I like. No need to break camp for those 'out of the way' side trips. Set up base camp, roll out the solar panel and don't bother starting up the van for a couple of weeks!

Paula
Old 02-28-2015, 06:46 PM   #45
Site Team

Garage
Re: Annoying to

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
We carry an ultralight two person tent and store everything in it if we're camping for multiple days. We can run day trips with a relatively empty interior after we move valuables into the SMB and zip the tent up. No greater risk than tent camping and everyone--dogs and people--love seeing it go up.

Don
The tent wore out last year and we're looking for a replacement. We liked the ultralight because it packed small and stored easily but held our outside gear. However, we're being tempted by Nemo Equipment's Wagontop (http://bit.ly/1AVZUvi), a new model that is tall enough to stand in. Thought others might like to take a look at it, too.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #46

Great tent Don, thanks for sharing! Is it pretty quick to set up/break down? I watched the Youtube vid but they never give you a realtime complete setup.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:26 AM   #47
CSG

I have a PW Traverse. The most I ever put outside is a chair. I often pull the top down at bedtime. I may have a leveling block or two under a tire or two. Food is secondary to me but it is always something from the fridge (like chicken salad on pita). I use the stove to heat water to make coffee and that's about it. And I'm rarely in a place more than overnight in any event. I have the van so it's always with me carrying my stuff. I would say "breaking camp" takes me no more than 5-6 minutes.

This was taken a few weeks ago in the Dixie NF about 14 miles outside of Bryce. Had the top up until bedtime. In the morning (when this photo was taken), I had to remove the leveling blocks under the front and rear driver's side tires.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:17 AM   #48
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Great tent Don, thanks for sharing! Is it pretty quick to set up/break down? I watched the Youtube vid but they never give you a realtime complete setup.

That's my big qxn after the size/weight/cost. The video claims it's a one-person setup but it looks a bit awkward. Guess I won't know the answer unless we buy one.

I did ask Nemo about the single wall construction and got a detailed reply about their technique and its waterproofness. Should do the same about setup.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty

That's my big qxn after the size/weight/cost. The video claims it's a one-person setup but it looks a bit awkward. Guess I won't know the answer unless we buy one.

I did ask Nemo about the single wall construction and got a detailed reply about their technique and its waterproofness. Should do the same about setup.

Don
In a bigger tent, especially with good ventilation, single wall can work. But there are disadvantages, in that you can get more condensation, more UV damage to the tent itself, and of course that would be one hot sucker in the sun since it doesn't have the benefit of lots of screen. Vestibule is rather small, and in fact sort of non-existent. I prefer something the opposite of what they've got: more top and less bottom. This design uses it chiefly as guys for the tent, and has fabric that doesn't seem to add much.

YMMV of course.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #50

Personally I love old threads which continue a single topic (hijacks are ok with me too) over the years, rather than having to review multiples of shorter threads. And this is a good example of the continuation of an informative thread started by an op who hasn't been on the forum for nearly a year (Wed, Mar 19, 2014 8:32 am).

From the perspective of snow-SMBer's like my wife and I we don't have a "camp" per se. Everything fits in the van or is in danger of being iced-up or buried in snow. And I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that when you lower a Penthouse roof you are reducing your interior space. That space (including for storage) stays available with a fixed tall roof like the Voyager or the Cruiser. That is why considering a fixed fiberglass roof or the tall Sprinter is important for snow-SMB'ers like us.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote