Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #11

Re: Another tire question

+1 on weighing.

Go to http://catscale.com and plug in your zip. It only take a couple of minutes and a few bucks. Do it on the way somewhere; you can hardly avoid the places.

Michelin has load index tables, but I don't think I've seen anything for a 285. BFG doesn't even have them out there. For some reason they're kinda hard to find, but they're basically close to proportional and similar across brands. The tire ass'n publishes some; I used Toyo's at http://toyotires.com/tires-101/tire-loa ... ion-tables. For my BFGs at 285/75R16 note that the max is 3750 in E range at 80 PSI, so at 50 I can run my just around 5k lb rear end, maybe even 45 per the TRA table.

Or call. I found BFG and Tire Rack would respond to questions once you have your exact weight; they don't seem too keen on just speculating. Getting it right is important.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #12

Great tips, thanks all. I'm going to top off the tank, load up The Van, and head to Cat Scale.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #13

While I think it is good to know your weight, you also have to account for gear, passengers and everything else. The load carrying capacity from the manufacturer factors all of that in. That's where I got my pressures from, I just translated that load carrying capacity from the old tire size to the new size. I definitely wouldn't run under 60 at the rear on the highway on 285/75-16, you are just asking for overheating.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #14

Tire pressure Questions? My opinon is if it says 80 psi on the tire and its not the desert in the summer time. I run 80 psi better MPG ..If iam going to 10000 ft I would air them down, If iam on washboard I run 25psi Toyo MTs... I need to have a nitrogin bottle??? I have a little compressre that plugs in the lighter dont laugh its works. Better than nothing .......Adios
1bajaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:08 AM   #15

I follow the load chart from BFG on my tires and check their temps occasionally with a digital thermometer. Went to Discount Tire to get the chart. Could not find it online.

I weight the van several times a year and adjust pressure often as the load in the van varies often.

I usually run 5-10 psi over the PSI chart for a given weight.

Off-road:

Had a lot of opportunity to watch tires temps while down in BAJA for our 10 day trip. We aired up and down a few times with long stretches of washboard to smooth highway. Checked tire temps often on the three vans at stops. Ramsey's van tires were always coolest as he stayed closest to street pressures even on wash board stretches. I was down to 30 or so on the slowest stretches of washboard as I believe Pierre was too.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #16

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
Ramsey's van tires were always coolest as he stayed closest to street pressures even on wash board stretches.
But, I only run 40 to 45 psi on the street. I do air down to 25 front and 30 rear at times in the dirt to save a trip to the dentist.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #17

Do you even put air in your tires??

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:56 AM   #18

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
Do you even put air in your tires??
You don't need that.

But when I do, I use a special combination of 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen and a little bit of secret gasses I'm not willing to share with you at this time.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote