Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2021, 03:16 PM   #1

Garage
Any auto glass experts in here?

Looking for input on if it’s possible to slightly enlarge the mounting holes in tempered glass pop-out windows. I’m finding conflicting opinions so hoping one of the good folks here is in the glass biz and can help.

Been to three junk yards and been prowling eBay looking for an OEM window to no avail, and finally took a chance on a Chinese OE replacement only to have the top two holes be on the wrong spacing and all three holes to small for the hardware to fit. The top holes it looks like I can move the hinges themselves to make them work, but haven’t figured out how to open the holes up to get the hardware to seat.

The hardware in question are the black plastic pieces that go between the window and the hinge; there is a short pilot diameter on the outboard side and the hole in the glass is just a hair to small for it to fit. The same applies to the inside spacer on the lock lever for the bottom hole. I don’t have any pictures of what I’m talking about as I needed the hardware for my redneck plywood, plastic and duct tape temp solution. I don’t want to cut off the pilot diameters as they help locate the window.

Any insights on if it’s possible to open the holes up a bit without either shattering the glass or, possibly even worse, creating a weak point only to have it shatter in some inconvenient backwoods location during a monsoon (which would be my luck)?

Backstory is that in a moment of pure stupidity, I inadvertently smashed the passenger rear pop-out window glass because I had my bike ladder sitting behind the Aluminess box. Much swearing and shaking of fists ensued, followed by whisky. And of course, it’s been raining on the regular ever since...

Old 06-14-2021, 03:51 PM   #2

Dude....you are considering boring out the holes on some already questionable glass?

Just get a non pop-out window installed for the interim. Then wait until an actual OEM pop-out becomes available.

Don't fight a window with hardware that doesn't fit. Let us know where you bought that Chinese replacement so that we can blacklist that seller.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:10 PM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I'm in the auto/truck glass business 30 years now and can state categorically you CAN NOT modify existing holes in tempered glass---no if, ands or buts.

Since you've not included the year, make and model of the vehicle in question I won't even attempt to provide any information past the above.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:13 PM   #4

Garage
It’s a 2003 E350 but the windows came out of something older. I figured tempered glass couldn’t be reworked since the inside and outside are different hardnesses. Thanks for the feedback JWA! Guess the plywood, plastic and duct tape will stay for a bit longer as the hunt continues...
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:18 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
Let us know where you bought that Chinese replacement so that we can blacklist that seller.
It was an eBay seller. Lots of them all selling Chinese glass, stated right in the listing, so imagine they are all from the same source. I can’t really complain about the seller as when I emailed them about it they actually called me and refunded my money without much fuss. They also claimed that they sell many of these and have never had a complaint. But with the good customer service I’m not going to call them out by name.

Trying to avoid having to replace a perfectly good frame, seal another one temporarily, then do it all again when I find a window. That’s my last resort.
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:43 PM   #6

Yeah those sub $70 windows on eBay. Well they need to get their specs in check. I'll abstain from criticism on the Chinese garbage we buy in a pinch. It happens.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:51 PM   #7

There's a good chance they weren't even made to fit US-spec Econolines. E-150s were sold in Asia, including China, and were even popular in the Philippines as a luxury van (which it is in comparison to vans like the HiAce and StarEx). Kinda like the Sprinter in the US, Econolines that went to Asia weren't sent as complete vans. There was some final assembly in the Philippines. They even sold new ones after the 2014 model year. Presumably using leftover bodies I'd guess? They got options we did not, like this 10-passenger E150 Premium. https://www.carousell.ph/p/ford-e-15..._pk7pOeKpYYvmO