Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2021, 03:25 PM   #1

Any good shops around Portland, OR?

So i have a 2016 transit that CCV just built out for me for our van rental fleet. I then transported it to Portland to have a sweet roof rack installed. Rack is ready, van is there but...

Shop says that there were some dodgy repairs done to the the roof and mounting points and they don't want to install the rack because they can't guarantee that it won't leak. Long and short of it is they are a van builder and don't want to mess around with my roof rack install to make a few hundred bucks. I get it.

So i either need to bring the van and rack (unmounted) back to SoCal to get a shop to do the work here or get it done somewhere else in Portland.

Any suggestions? Seems like a competent shop should be able to do the install and wire the off road lights pretty easily, but I don't know of any places.

Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:32 PM   #2

Garage
Van specialties in Tualatin may be able to help you.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:05 PM   #3

Ajs 4x4 vans is around Portland.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:12 PM   #4

So this is a roof rack made for a Transit, and that it attaches using the access holes on provided by Ford. What kind of damage was done to the roof? How many lights and is the van already prewired for them?

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:41 PM   #5
Site Team

There's also Mule Expedition Outfitters in Tualatin, OR. I've never used them for service, but I have made a purchase from them.

https://dasmule.com/pages/contact-us

Herb
Old 04-02-2021, 10:15 PM   #6

More details on what rack and what damage may help. Vanhaus in Vancouver may be an option.

I heard from someone that Mule wont doesnt work on vans, could be wrong.
Oly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:50 AM   #7

Mule only installs parts and accessories they sell. I don't think any of them are hurting for work, so fitting in a one off could be tough.

Another one to check is https://www.outandupfitters.com/. They are in Wilsonville, OR just south of Portland on I-5. They are listed as a installer for Adventure Wagon.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:27 AM   #8

Are you looking for somebody just to install the rack? Or somebody to re-repair the roof?

If you are looking for an installer, I'd definitely do it in Portland. There's at least a dozen shops will do it. The ones above plus others. But as Greg mentions... I don't think any of them are starving for work...

If you need the roof re-repaired, I'd probably suggest Newberg Ford, simply because of the huge volume of Transits they sell.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:02 PM   #9

The roof rack is a Roambuilt. It has 6 offroad lights in it as well as a solar panel on it. Benchmark Vehicles was going to do the install, but they found bondo over the forward most mounting points and have declined to work on it. I have no idea how bad it really is or if they just don't want to get into something that spirals out of control.

I need someone to install the rack, but that may require fixing the roof first. I don't know what "prewired" for the lights means. There is an aux battery system installed by CCV, but I don't think they ran a wire into the drivers area for the lights. Shouldn't be difficult to do. Batteries are located just aft of the drivers door. There is a fuse panel in the van somewhere, I haven't seen the van in person, so i'm not sure where.

I will call the shows mentioned in here. Thanks for your help. Any more suggestions are welcome.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:05 PM   #10

Here are some pictures. There is a prewire passage through the roof for the solar panel back by the vent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4498.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	39101
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4497.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	39102

You can see the cracks in the bondo on the seams above the drivers door. I don't know anything about body work, but it seems like it could be fixed and the rack installed. Just really hard to do it remotely.