Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #11

Re: anybody no propane all electric GAS engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijunkie
I would love to have one of the gas espar heaters. They look really small compared to the propane heater options from SMB. Is the one in the pictures the smallest espar 5 they have listed? Is there more to it mounted under the van?
I assume that is directed at me. Yes, that is an Airtronic 5. The smaller Airtronic 4 and Airtronic 2 are not available in gas models. The 5 is more than enough for our extended van - a smaller unit would probably be sufficient. We've spent quite a few nights in temps down to -20°c with the top popped and we've been comfortable.

What you see is all there is to it. Exhaust is routed down through the floor, and heat output is directed to the front side of the EB50 bench on the passenger side. Battery box on the right contains two 6V golf cart batteries.

Here's another view. About the size of a shoe box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijunkie
You can see our build thread here:
Our build
V10 gas, no propane, all electric. No water heater.
I think you posted the wrong link - that link goes to ilovegt100's Sprinter build.

Sorry for the small hijack. To the OP, if a big concern of yours is heat in an all-electric, gas rig, your options are probably limited to:
  • a catalytic heater, which requires carrying alternate fuel
    a gas Espar (SMB doesn't install, but would someone else?)
    a diesel Espar, with a dedicated diesel tank

An electric heater is probably not feasible for overnight heat due to the large power demands. For our needs, which includes many nights staying at the ski hill in sub-zero temps, the Espar is ideal. If we couldn't have the Espar, I would have had to succumb to propane.

Also, our fridge is 12VDC only, and works very well.

Cheers,
Brent

Old 04-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns378
I just had to put my best friend away to the rainbow bridge who was 15 years old. he was an akita lab best dog ever. your dog reminded me of him, what kind is yours. congrats on van
Sorry for your loss. Ours crossed the bridge about a year ago. Talus was most likely a Belgian shepherd / lab cross.

And yes, also best dog ever.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 04-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #13

I have no built-in appliances. I do have a large inverter. I actually rely a lot on the engine for both running the inverter and for HVAC. On really cold nights, I'll use the remote start to warm up the van wen going to bed (it has a 15 minute timer, which is perfect) and if I need to, I'll hit the remote start again in the morning. It stays decent enough inside overnight if I do the pre-heat routine at bed time.

I have idled the van for 8+ hours in 110F weather, primarily for stationary power (with a cool break area as a bonus) and that has never caused any problems.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #14

I have a gas SMB, no propane installed. I occasionally use a Mr Buddy heater, but not often. I camp mostly where it doesn't get much lower than high teens F, and not for long. Big sleeping bag helps. If I need hot water I use a portable stove. Never missed it in over a decade.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #15

thanks to all. anybody else please post. what i really wanted to know was if going propaneless was feasible. i guess it is as long as not winter temps.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:23 PM   #16

Is there another US based upfitter that would equip a gasoline fueled Espar? I guess I wouldn't limit that option to only what SMB is willing to do.

Do you have adversities to adding propane, or are you just interested in keeping things as simple/economical as possible?

Having a furnace is one of our favorite features in the van.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #17

I had my conversion done in 2009 at GTRV in Richmond, BC. Since then, GTRV has added a facility in Sebastopol, CA. You may want to check with them. I seem to recall that SMB's reluctance to install a gas Espar was more to do with [s:2mg7d5jc]RVIA recognition than perceived safety[/s:2mg7d5jc] perceived safety than RVIA recognition.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 04-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #18
Site Team

You might want to check with guys who work on yachts. Espars seem to be big in the marine industry, but the people who work on yachts are generally a lot more expensive than people who work on RVs.

I know you don't want propane, but I always wanted to install a Propex propane heater in a custom Aluminess bumper box (top section of a Baja box?) similar to this, and then run an insulated vent line carrying the heat into SMB.

Herb
Old 04-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwteleman
I assume that is directed at me. Yes, that is an Airtronic 5. The smaller Airtronic 4 and Airtronic 2 are not available in gas models. The 5 is more than enough for our extended van - a smaller unit would probably be sufficient. We've spent quite a few nights in temps down to -20°c with the top popped and we've been comfortable.

I think you posted the wrong link - that link goes to ilovegt100's Sprinter build.
Thanks for the additional info. I really want an espar now.

Oopps on the link. I've met ilovegt a few times when he was picking up his Sprinter. Must mixed up the link. Here is our build:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...p?f=15&t=10872
skijunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:02 AM   #20

Additional info from me. I'm ambivelent about propane but rather would not have. However i live in a condo community which bans parking rv's. 'conversion vans no problem. however if i have propane and someone found out i could have a problem. since i'm not crazy about propane anyway-and the rv heaters associated with propane eat battery power with their fans-this is why i'm looking at this with this point of view.

thanks